If your daft enough to rush around to get done in time, you deserve what you get, I'm on a 31.5 hr contract I've always prepped my own walk and have never done lapsing, I leave that to the F/T postiesNewPostieUK wrote:Reading about other part timers getting packets marked and mail thrown in.
I have to fully prep the whole frame, all mail, flats packets, everything. I have to do the kill offs, redirections, pack my bags, put them out for the van to deliver 5 mins after my start time, lapse, bring back undelivered packets, and make my own way back, all in 5 or 6 hours.
On the rare occasion when I walk in and see someone prepping my frame, my heart sinks, as I have to go through it all and take out the mis-sorts.
By far the worst thing about being a part timer, is no overtime rate. Overtime gets paid at the same rate as normal hours. I don't care what anyone says, if you work one hour overtime, you should get one hour at overtime rate, regardless of your contracted hours.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Pet Hates Of Being A Part Timer....
-
dblad
- Posts: 448
- Joined: 20 Nov 2009, 18:26
- Gender: Male
Re: Pet Hates Of Being A Part Timer....
-
hantsman
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 876
- Joined: 14 Jul 2009, 09:33
- Gender: Male
Re: Pet Hates Of Being A Part Timer....
I will just correct this althought im not fan of RM, untill you reach 40 hours you do not get any extra end of! its not just RM but all other firms!NewPostieUK wrote:Reading about other part timers getting packets marked and mail thrown in.
I have to fully prep the whole frame, all mail, flats packets, everything. I have to do the kill offs, redirections, pack my bags, put them out for the van to deliver 5 mins after my start time, lapse, bring back undelivered packets, and make my own way back, all in 5 or 6 hours.
On the rare occasion when I walk in and see someone prepping my frame, my heart sinks, as I have to go through it all and take out the mis-sorts.
By far the worst thing about being a part timer, is no overtime rate. Overtime gets paid at the same rate as normal hours. I don't care what anyone says, if you work one hour overtime, you should get one hour at overtime rate, regardless of your contracted hours.
-
TeeferTiger
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2783
- Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
- Gender: Female
- Location: Welsh Wales
Re: Pet Hates Of Being A Part Timer....
It's never prepped to the standard that it should be. If I prepped their frames as badly as they prep mine, there'd be hell to pay. They seem to think it's OK to just stuff the letters anywhere because it's not them that's got to deliver it. However, I also shouldn't have to come in and prep most of it myself when they're getting time to do it as part of their duty. When I was told I was moving onto that duty, I was told that all I had to do was come in, bag off and go out. That has NEVER happened. Not even once.Sherpas Rule wrote:Some are moaning as their job isn't prepped while others such as this fellow here, are moaning when it is being prepped.NewPostieUK wrote:Reading about other part timers getting packets marked and mail thrown in.
I have to fully prep the whole frame, all mail, flats packets, everything. I have to do the kill offs, redirections, pack my bags, put them out for the van to deliver 5 mins after my start time, lapse, bring back undelivered packets, and make my own way back, all in 5 or 6 hours.
On the rare occasion when I walk in and see someone prepping my frame, my heart sinks, as I have to go through it all and take out the mis-sorts.
By far the worst thing about being a part timer, is no overtime rate. Overtime gets paid at the same rate as normal hours. I don't care what anyone says, if you work one hour overtime, you should get one hour at overtime rate, regardless of your contracted hours.
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
-
taurus88
- Posts: 1259
- Joined: 14 Aug 2010, 17:53
- Gender: Male
Re: Pet Hates Of Being A Part Timer....
The problem is that both the quality and quantity of the work is insufficient which leaves a p/t doing work they're not getting paid for and f/t not doing work they are getting paid for. Personally, I don't mind chucking my own packets out and doing my redirections. That's fair enough because I know the bleeding walk. But I don't like having totally unrelated letters with completely contrasting road names chucked out on a part of the frame that's a mile away from the correct place. I don't like coming in to find anything other than missorts that I have to chuck out.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Pet Hates Of Being A Part Timer....
Well RJ you certainly opened a can of worms there! Between yourself And T88 I think you've covered most of the main problems.
Don't you just love this site? When people start moaning in my DO (about what ever) I recommend they visit here. Just to prove that It's not just our Office that is a Total Bloody Shambles!
You must remember RJ that, "Everybody elses time is more important than yours!"
Just relax and try not to get stressed over it. You can only do a days work in a day! (I know RM would like you to do more) If you feel strongly about it, do the extra prep, figure out how much of your contracted day is left and say to the DIM, "You've got 4 hours work left out of me and then I'm cutting off and coming back!" If the DIM has to pay someone else to finish your Duty he'll soon make sure it's prepped properly. After all he's already payed the person who should have prepped it, and they've knocked off early
We have to be careful though not to develop an US v THEM mentality, we're all in the same boat, although some of us are rowing harder than others!
RM really like to Divide and Conquer. 
Don't you just love this site? When people start moaning in my DO (about what ever) I recommend they visit here. Just to prove that It's not just our Office that is a Total Bloody Shambles!
You must remember RJ that, "Everybody elses time is more important than yours!"
We have to be careful though not to develop an US v THEM mentality, we're all in the same boat, although some of us are rowing harder than others!
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
REDLETTER
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 748
- Joined: 27 Oct 2008, 19:00
- Gender: Male
- Location: EX-ROYAL MAIL
Re: Pet Hates Of Being A Part Timer....
Having my walk-sorting hole stuffed with mis-sorts from other walks on a Saturday because they all want to get out early and can't be bothered to take them
I start just as the rest are leaving the DO and the DIM and linos say nothing as they want to finish early
I start just as the rest are leaving the DO and the DIM and linos say nothing as they want to finish early
-
Pat Ostman
- Posts: 2797
- Joined: 17 Sep 2008, 21:53
- Gender: Male
- Location: In the Line Managers office being screwed over.
Re: Pet Hates Of Being A Part Timer....
Care to elaborate? Thought not.mclovin wrote:PTers get their arse wiped enough, now they want the dangleberries cleaned off.
And it's plural asses,not arse
No wonder I get so many missorts!
Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun.
And when at last the work is done. Don't sit down, it's time to dig another one
And when at last the work is done. Don't sit down, it's time to dig another one
-
mclovin
- Posts: 1106
- Joined: 11 Feb 2009, 18:39
- Gender: Male
Re: Pet Hates Of Being A Part Timer....
yes i would, pters in my office are all on 5 hours a day or more.
Now if they cant find enough time within that to do a 3.30 hour walk, 20 minute break and throw in a few letters/do redirections and packets, then they aint worth s**t.
Now if they cant find enough time within that to do a 3.30 hour walk, 20 minute break and throw in a few letters/do redirections and packets, then they aint worth s**t.
-
RetroJunkie
- Posts: 165
- Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 16:06
- Gender: Female
Re: Pet Hates Of Being A Part Timer....
Well i'm on a 24 hour contract working the Hereford system, so i do 4 hours a day 5 days a week and then have to come in for 7 on a Saturday to throw my own walk off. so generally if im not at my first point of delivery by 9.30 then i dont have the 3 hours 30 mins to complete as i have to finish by 1 everyday regardless.mclovin wrote:yes i would, pters in my office are all on 5 hours a day or more.
Now if they cant find enough time within that to do a 3.30 hour walk, 20 minute break and throw in a few letters/do redirections and packets, then they aint worth s**t.
-
taurus88
- Posts: 1259
- Joined: 14 Aug 2010, 17:53
- Gender: Male
Re: Pet Hates Of Being A Part Timer....
That's still not the point. Full-timers are being paid more to do more. Proportionally, because of their cutting corners, they are working fewer of their hours (in percentage terms at least) than the part-timers. A lot of full-timers in our office seem to think along your lines ("they get paid for five hours, let them work them"), whilst they're rushing around to make sure they can finish a couple of hours ahead of time. Double standards, and one of the reasons why we are going to be f'ed in the a by RM when it comes to the crunch.mclovin wrote:yes i would, pters in my office are all on 5 hours a day or more.
Now if they cant find enough time within that to do a 3.30 hour walk, 20 minute break and throw in a few letters/do redirections and packets, then they aint worth s**t.
-
mclovin
- Posts: 1106
- Joined: 11 Feb 2009, 18:39
- Gender: Male
Re: Pet Hates Of Being A Part Timer....
Rubbish, no one can leave until every duty is thrown in, but if you think I'm hanging around whilst some PTer or even Fter pissfarts around with redirects and pulling out, then yer very wrong, if they want to pissfart around they can do it in their own time, I have Bargain Hunt to watch.
-
dwainedibbly
- Posts: 49
- Joined: 28 Oct 2009, 17:52
- Gender: Male
Re: Pet Hates Of Being A Part Timer....
I have been with royal mail 8 years,
still a shitty reserve,
usually do a different round everyday, half the part timers(who have lower seniority)have thier own round
f***ing part timers

still a shitty reserve,
usually do a different round everyday, half the part timers(who have lower seniority)have thier own round
f***ing part timers
-
REDLETTER
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 748
- Joined: 27 Oct 2008, 19:00
- Gender: Male
- Location: EX-ROYAL MAIL
Re: Pet Hates Of Being A Part Timer....
Hope you mean a recording of the programme!mclovin wrote:Rubbish, no one can leave until every duty is thrown in, but if you think I'm hanging around whilst some PTer or even Fter pissfarts around with redirects and pulling out, then yer very wrong, if they want to pissfart around they can do it in their own time, I have Bargain Hunt to watch.
-
Pat Ostman
- Posts: 2797
- Joined: 17 Sep 2008, 21:53
- Gender: Male
- Location: In the Line Managers office being screwed over.
Re: Pet Hates Of Being A Part Timer....
Seems like you have your arse wiped for you if your office has 3.30hrs deliveries that can be done in that time.mclovin wrote:yes i would, pters in my office are all on 5 hours a day or more.
Now if they cant find enough time within that to do a 3.30 hour walk, 20 minute break and throw in a few letters/do redirections and packets, then they aint worth s**t.
You are paid to throw in part timers walks so do your job as directed.
Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun.
And when at last the work is done. Don't sit down, it's time to dig another one
And when at last the work is done. Don't sit down, it's time to dig another one
-
mclovin
- Posts: 1106
- Joined: 11 Feb 2009, 18:39
- Gender: Male
Re: Pet Hates Of Being A Part Timer....
If Im on prep then the PTer will get prepped in according to their hours, usually 1 prepped to completion incuding packets/redirects/kil offs or until they turn up usually before their start time (5 hour contract), 1 has all mech prepped in(6.45 hour contract) and I do my own to completion, havent failed yet.
If Im on IPS then I do that no probs. We do one or the other, but not both.
If Im on IPS then I do that no probs. We do one or the other, but not both.