ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

RM van delaying other traffic.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Caniel
Posts: 623
Joined: 03 Jul 2009, 18:25
Gender: Female
Location: The Batcave

Re: RM van delaying other traffic.

Post by Caniel »

Police are not allowed to search your van but they can follow you back to the DO and search it there or so I was told. :hmmmm

Someone else also said something to me about a law regarding Police stopping certain carriers such as lorries carrying booze and fags and RM vans full of Specials where the lorry/van driver doesn't have to pull over when a police car is flashing him because of what he is carrying. :hmmmm
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32819
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: RM van delaying other traffic.

Post by POSTMAN »

Caniel wrote:Police are not allowed to search your van but they can follow you back to the DO and search it there or so I was told. :hmmmm

Someone else also said something to me about a law regarding Police stopping certain carriers such as lorries carrying booze and fags and RM vans full of Specials where the lorry/van driver doesn't have to pull over when a police car is flashing him because of what he is carrying. :hmmmm
In a RM van you would have to pull over whatever you are carrying,and then do the follow back to a DO thing.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
taurus88
Posts: 1259
Joined: 14 Aug 2010, 17:53
Gender: Male

Re: RM van delaying other traffic.

Post by taurus88 »

What an interesting thread (seriously; the foibles of RM are fascinating especially in terms of their interaction with the police). Out of interest, can the police not searching an RM van be extrapolated to normal pouches? Where would one stand should a policeman stop and request to search a postman's bag? Would I (this is all hypothetical, of course) have to invite him to return with me to the DO where I will grant him his request, albeit in the presence of my manager?
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32819
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: RM van delaying other traffic.

Post by POSTMAN »

taurus88 wrote:What an interesting thread (seriously; the foibles of RM are fascinating especially in terms of their interaction with the police). Out of interest, can the police not searching an RM van be extrapolated to normal pouches? Where would one stand should a policeman stop and request to search a postman's bag? Would I (this is all hypothetical, of course) have to invite him to return with me to the DO where I will grant him his request, albeit in the presence of my manager?
That's a thought,i do think though baring in mind it's 'The Queens' mail that the same protocol as the vans would apply.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
TeeferTiger
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2783
Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
Gender: Female
Location: Welsh Wales

Re: RM van delaying other traffic.

Post by TeeferTiger »

POSTMAN wrote:
taurus88 wrote:What an interesting thread (seriously; the foibles of RM are fascinating especially in terms of their interaction with the police). Out of interest, can the police not searching an RM van be extrapolated to normal pouches? Where would one stand should a policeman stop and request to search a postman's bag? Would I (this is all hypothetical, of course) have to invite him to return with me to the DO where I will grant him his request, albeit in the presence of my manager?
That's a thought,i do think though baring in mind it's 'The Queens' mail that the same protocol as the vans would apply.
They're not allowed to touch it out on the street as far as I know. The mail doesn't belong to them (nor to you) and you're safeguarding the mail. Even if you're delivering to an address that the Police are searching (and made a big hole in the door), I don't think you're meant to give them the mail.

From what I remember, the Police have to fill in a special form to get access/permission. I know they definitely had to fill in one for Data Protection when they wanted info off us in the call centre I worked in relating to calls being made etc. I assume them looking thru your bag of mail would breach a) mail security protocols and b) Data Protection issues as unless it's their own mail, they've no right to be taking it without the proper paperwork, which your DOM would need to agree to first.
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?