ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

bringing mail back

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Straight4ward
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1621
Joined: 25 Oct 2009, 14:32
Gender: Male

Re: bringing mail back

Post by Straight4ward »

That single episode put steel in my spine.
Is that also known as a knife in the back?
"Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway."
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: bringing mail back

Post by fishtank »

taurus88 wrote:I didn't volunteer, I basically had it hoisted upon me and didn't know how to say no.

To be honest, it doesn't matter anyway. If they don't sack me soon I'll hand my notice in - I'm tired of being left profoundly isolated in places I know nothing about whilst the managers presume upon my skills to get the job done. Other guys in the office get one and a half walks done by half past one whilst I'm still out on the street at half-four, feeling like a moron, whilst wandering eyes locate my hi-vis in the crowd and think 'wow, what a sh*t postman, still out on the street.'

Stick with it taurus.
For you things can only get better.
For the rest of us it is about to get much worse.
We will all soon be wandering the streets at stupid o'clock,feeling like morons,while the customers think,christ there's a lot of sh*t postmen about these days.....always look on the bright side of life. :left:
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72773
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: bringing mail back

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Straight4ward wrote:
That single episode put steel in my spine.
Is that also known as a knife in the back?
Not quite - Knife in the Back or a smiling assassin is a bad thing being done to you. Steel in the spine mean I grew a set of <cough cough>
Image
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: bringing mail back

Post by fishtank »

Is there meant to be 3 in a set? :shock:
I must make an appointment with my GP. :confused
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: bringing mail back

Post by DGP1 »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
Straight4ward wrote:
That single episode put steel in my spine.
Is that also known as a knife in the back?
Not quite - Knife in the Back or a smiling assassin is a bad thing being done to you. Steel in the spine mean I grew a set of <cough cough>
Image
:hmmmm I'd have to ask my wife if I have a set :chuckle :chuckle
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
Broxi51
Posts: 1154
Joined: 30 Jul 2007, 19:04
Location: Scotland

Re: bringing mail back

Post by Broxi51 »

DGP1 wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
Straight4ward wrote:
That single episode put steel in my spine.
Is that also known as a knife in the back?
Not quite - Knife in the Back or a smiling assassin is a bad thing being done to you. Steel in the spine mean I grew a set of <cough cough>
Image
:hmmmm I'd have to ask my wife if I have a set :chuckle :chuckle
And where she put them :Very Happy
The time has come to stop turning the other cheek, time to stop shaking our heads in bitter dismay, time to stop mumbling our angry words.
The time has come for union.
Eric Cantona
Posts: 365
Joined: 15 Jul 2010, 19:21
Gender: Male

Re: bringing mail back

Post by Eric Cantona »

Royal Mail rule is you cannot bring mail back you must tell them before you go out, that is a load of rubbish and it a rule they have made up, if it came to a courtroom the judge would ask R.M what time is this lad paid till, 1 o Clock your honour, then the lad finishes at 1 o clock case dismissed, R.M would have to fit the costs for the court.
Lets face it they have not got the bottle to sack anyone for this because they know they are on a looser..
taurus88
Posts: 1259
Joined: 14 Aug 2010, 17:53
Gender: Male

Re: bringing mail back

Post by taurus88 »

The manager was great about it this morning, he agreed that it was a bugger of a walk, we both agreed I should have done the other half, and the guy who does it as his duty said he wasn't surprised in the slightest I'd got lost! We seem to have friendly managers and friendly people in our office! I have to say it was a horrible experience being out there and feeling completely overwhelmed. Afterwards, I felt as if I was going to cry. It's not at all pleasant to have that happen to you. I enjoy being a postman sometimes and it's good to do overtime for the variety, and to get a feel for plenty of different walks, but it sometimes pays to learn to walk before you try and run. I wish RM would appreciate that when trying to recruit and retain newbies.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72773
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: bringing mail back

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Eric Cantona wrote:Royal Mail rule is you cannot bring mail back you must tell them before you go out, that is a load of rubbish and it a rule they have made up, if it came to a courtroom the judge would ask R.M what time is this lad paid till, 1 o Clock your honour, then the lad finishes at 1 o clock case dismissed, R.M would have to fit the costs for the court.
Lets face it they have not got the bottle to sack anyone for this because they know they are on a looser..
Correct their own documents say http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 36&t=12071" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
after commencement.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
taurus88
Posts: 1259
Joined: 14 Aug 2010, 17:53
Gender: Male

Re: bringing mail back

Post by taurus88 »

So, you ring the office (where there's nobody in to answer it), or you return to the office, where there's nobody there to report it to. It begs the question, if mail is brought back and nobody's there to see it happen, was any mail really brought back at all :whistle.
countyboy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 121
Joined: 03 Dec 2009, 17:48
Gender: Male

Re: bringing mail back

Post by countyboy »

Other guys in the office get one and a half walks done by half past one whilst I'm still out on the street at half-four, feeling like a moron, whilst wandering eyes locate my hi-vis in the crowd and think 'wow, what a sh*t postman, still out on the street.'[/quote]


Dont worry about that mate,,The general public will get used to seeing posties out on the street later and later and they havnt got a clue wether you are a hapless postie or not or even care,,!! The only person who could tell is another postie and generally they will think "been there done that" I did one and a half walks today but six months ago it took me six hours to do three quarters of a walk,,( In the snow and dark admittedly having been sent out with no training or even a map or a baldy clue what feckin day it was) So things can only get better,,,Funny enough another lino asked me if I fancied doing another half,,,Two walks in a day,,and he was serious,,!! Dont worry about saying no,,They just take it on the chin and will keep asking because there arnt enough hours in the office or people to do the work..It would be great if we could all agree not to do overtime then see what happens but I imagine it wont happen anytime soon.
gb93
Posts: 1462
Joined: 29 Oct 2009, 16:25
Gender: Male

Re: bringing mail back

Post by gb93 »

Eric Cantona wrote:Royal Mail rule is you cannot bring mail back you must tell them before you go out, that is a load of rubbish and it a rule they have made up, if it came to a courtroom the judge would ask R.M what time is this lad paid till, 1 o Clock your honour, then the lad finishes at 1 o clock case dismissed, R.M would have to fit the costs for the court.
Lets face it they have not got the bottle to sack anyone for this because they know they are on a looser..
Bet this makes the 100s that have been sacked for this and much less feel hard done too knowing that you say they can't be sacked for such a thing.
Bet they all heading to the courts now knowing that getting their jobs back will be a cert. :crazy:
This ain't no baseball game, you get only one chance and you blew it.
Eric Cantona
Posts: 365
Joined: 15 Jul 2010, 19:21
Gender: Male

Re: bringing mail back

Post by Eric Cantona »

You cant get sacked for it, you work till the time on your contract that's it, If you worked in a Car Plant we will say, and its 5 30 finish Manager cannot come to you and say I want the four wheels and doors on that car before you go home, he clocks out at 5 30 simple..
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: bringing mail back

Post by fishtank »

Eric Cantona wrote:You cant get sacked for it, you work till the time on your contract that's it, If you worked in a Car Plant we will say, and its 5 30 finish Manager cannot come to you and say I want the four wheels and doors on that car before you go home, he clocks out at 5 30 simple..
It's not that they get sacked for.
Members under pressure panic,do stupid things like leave mail in boxes,take mail home,"misplace" the D2D,sign for specials themselves,go off with stress,take short-cuts and hurt themselves....i could go on all night if you want.
These are the reasons for dismissal but most of the time the underlying cause is....pressure to achieve the unachievable.
The big picture Eric.... seagulls following trawlers etc. :whistle
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
Broxi51
Posts: 1154
Joined: 30 Jul 2007, 19:04
Location: Scotland

Re: bringing mail back

Post by Broxi51 »

Unless managers are there and are answering the phone then I cannot see how anyone could get sacked for bringing mail back after their time. If you are experienced on the round then it would be expected of you to tell the dom before you go out but what happens when there is an unforseen event such as a road closed and you cannot get access to it for a few hours and you want finished on your time.
They may try to sack you but as Eric said they wouldnt have a prayer at a tribunal.
The time has come to stop turning the other cheek, time to stop shaking our heads in bitter dismay, time to stop mumbling our angry words.
The time has come for union.