ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Packet Deliveries 7-11pm

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
DirtyHarry
Posts: 5051
Joined: 13 May 2007, 23:16
Gender: Male
Location: London

Re: Packet Deliveries 7-11pm

Post by DirtyHarry »

baldrick wrote:Posters have been put up in our MC saying that RM are trialling packet/parcel deliveries in some areas,
between 7-11pm, and that anyone who is interested in doing these should speak to their manager.
The poster says that 7-11pm deliveries are being trialled because these are what customers want.
As a customer I would want my mail delivered before I go to work, not at 11pm.
As usual, the boys in the suits come up with something that nobody in their right mind would have given a nano second's thought to, and garnish their folly with a lie that seems to be tagged on to every retrograde step backwards they take, "it's what customers want", yeah, like feck they do.
According to Royal Mail's gang of buffoon senior management, customers want ever later deliveries of mail, they want fewer collections from their pillar boxes, they want last collections put back to 3pm, they want an avalanche of meaningless/irritating junk mail spread over the week, they want to see a different postman delivering their mail every day, they want their mail treated abysmally by managers who "lapse" it and give it to already otherwise hard-pushed, stressed-out posties with more than enough to cope with.
I could go on. :roll: :cuppa
BELIAL
Posts: 6758
Joined: 15 Jun 2007, 17:33
Gender: Female
Location: Nowhere

Re: Packet Deliveries 7-11pm

Post by BELIAL »

DirtyHarry wrote:
baldrick wrote:Posters have been put up in our MC saying that RM are trialling packet/parcel deliveries in some areas,
between 7-11pm, and that anyone who is interested in doing these should speak to their manager.
The poster says that 7-11pm deliveries are being trialled because these are what customers want.
As a customer I would want my mail delivered before I go to work, not at 11pm.
As usual, the boys in the suits come up with something that nobody in their right mind would have given a nano second's thought to, and garnish their folly with a lie that seems to be tagged on to every retrograde step backwards they take, "it's what customers want", yeah, like feck they do.
According to Royal Mail's gang of buffoon senior management, customers want ever later deliveries of mail, they want fewer collections from their pillar boxes, they want last collections put back to 3pm, they want an avalanche of meaningless/irritating junk mail spread over the week, they want to see a different postman delivering their mail every day, they want their mail treated abysmally by managers who "lapse" it and give it to already otherwise hard-pushed, stressed-out posties with more than enough to cope with.
I could go on. :roll: :cuppa
Go on, go on, it rang so true I was enjoying it :Applause
Bye
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Packet Deliveries 7-11pm

Post by dvbuk55 »

DirtyHarry wrote:
baldrick wrote:Posters have been put up in our MC saying that RM are trialling packet/parcel deliveries in some areas,
between 7-11pm, and that anyone who is interested in doing these should speak to their manager.
The poster says that 7-11pm deliveries are being trialled because these are what customers want.
As a customer I would want my mail delivered before I go to work, not at 11pm.
As usual, the boys in the suits come up with something that nobody in their right mind would have given a nano second's thought to, and garnish their folly with a lie that seems to be tagged on to every retrograde step backwards they take, "it's what customers want", yeah, like feck they do.
According to Royal Mail's gang of buffoon senior management, customers want ever later deliveries of mail, they want fewer collections from their pillar boxes, they want last collections put back to 3pm, they want an avalanche of meaningless/irritating junk mail spread over the week, they want to see a different postman delivering their mail every day, they want their mail treated abysmally by managers who "lapse" it and give it to already otherwise hard-pushed, stressed-out posties with more than enough to cope with.
I could go on. :roll: :cuppa
Yeah, but lets be fair DH, they had to do something to improve the service :left: :left: :left:
taurus88
Posts: 1259
Joined: 14 Aug 2010, 17:53
Gender: Male

Re: Packet Deliveries 7-11pm

Post by taurus88 »

I have to disagree on this one, whether because I'm young and foolish or because I'm merely foolish. I think there is scope for a late delivery. It's not what people want as much as it's what they need. People are generally in between 5.30pm and 11pm because that's how the modern world works. They don't have time/can't be bothered to pick up parcels and so could do with a later delivery. However, I think RM has gone miles off with the times, and I'm not completely sure this idea has scope for anything more than one man doing a whole town over those hours, handing out the odd parcel. I'd look at a 5pm till 8.30pm delivery and that would be that. It would cost more as well, it would have to be called something exotic. Like super special, or twilight special.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Packet Deliveries 7-11pm

Post by fishtank »

...or desperado deliveries. :roll:
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Packet Deliveries 7-11pm

Post by Lounge Lizard »

taurus88 wrote:I have to disagree on this one, whether because I'm young and foolish or because I'm merely foolish. I think there is scope for a late delivery. It's not what people want as much as it's what they need. People are generally in between 5.30pm and 11pm because that's how the modern world works. They don't have time/can't be bothered to pick up parcels and so could do with a later delivery. However, I think RM has gone miles off with the times, and I'm not completely sure this idea has scope for anything more than one man doing a whole town over those hours, handing out the odd parcel. I'd look at a 5pm till 8.30pm delivery and that would be that. It would cost more as well, it would have to be called something exotic. Like super special, or twilight special.
"People are generally in between 5.30pm and 11pm because that's how the modern world works." :shock: Nonsense. You're way behind the times and that's hhow it was fifty years ago when everyone worked 9 till 5 :Very Happy Now with the 24 hour economy anyone's as likely to be in 5.30 to 11am as 5.30 to 11pm. :Very Happy :Very Happy Now there's an idea, delivering in the mornings - wasn't that very popular before Royal Mail abandoned it a few years ago ? :shock: :shock:
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Packet Deliveries 7-11pm

Post by dvbuk55 »

fishtank wrote:...or desperado deliveries. :roll:
:chuckle :chuckle :chuckle Very apt.

I'm sure there is a much simpler method of delivery or at least collection service than roaming down dark lanes at nearly midnight - there could be a misconstrued motive in that underwear is being stolen from washing lines. :no no
Lincox
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3485
Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
Gender: Male

Re: Packet Deliveries 7-11pm

Post by Lincox »

What about the rotweiller thats been kicked out the door for a few hours at night. Nice thought, halfway up the path and a grizzly slobbering dog appears from nowhere.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Packet Deliveries 7-11pm

Post by dvbuk55 »

Lincox wrote:What about the rotweiller thats been kicked out the door for a few hours at night. Nice thought, halfway up the path and a grizzly slobbering dog appears from nowhere.
I don't let the wife out after dark :whistle
NWpostie
Posts: 3623
Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
Gender: Male
Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9

Re: Packet Deliveries 7-11pm

Post by NWpostie »

it would be safer and easier to have the Sorting Office open to 8pm for them to pick up parcels etc, not that difficult to do, no new infrastructure, no new route planning or vans.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.