ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
summer lapsing stays while mail volumes hit all time high
-
dados
- Posts: 399
- Joined: 04 Sep 2009, 16:33
- Gender: Male
- Location: leading the 5th column
Re: summer lapsing stays while mail volumes hit all time hig
Feck me thats bad,a new era of openness & co-operation my arse,how much sh1ttier can this job get?
Art as expression
Not as market campaigns
Will still capture our imaginations
Not as market campaigns
Will still capture our imaginations
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
Re: summer lapsing stays while mail volumes hit all time hig
Lapsing is a funny thing really as some days it really does not bother me as it only taking you to your proper time. Other days though it feels just like un paid overtime and I can quite resent the extra walking on top of my already long delivery and especially having to drive for 20 mins between the two as my legs stiffen up.
I felt a bit like that today when i had to drive 8.5 miles back to town and then another 2 miles out to my lapsing. What made it worse was passing my Dom as she was driving home at 12.30 pm when i had another hour to work.
I felt a bit like that today when i had to drive 8.5 miles back to town and then another 2 miles out to my lapsing. What made it worse was passing my Dom as she was driving home at 12.30 pm when i had another hour to work.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
-
REDLETTER
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 748
- Joined: 27 Oct 2008, 19:00
- Gender: Male
- Location: EX-ROYAL MAIL
Re: summer lapsing stays while mail volumes hit all time hig
Why are you driving to do lapsing?, that is what RM vans are for!krussel wrote:Lapsing is a funny thing really as some days it really does not bother me as it only taking you to your proper time. Other days though it feels just like un paid overtime and I can quite resent the extra walking on top of my already long delivery and especially having to drive for 20 mins between the two as my legs stiffen up.![]()
I felt a bit like that today when i had to drive 8.5 miles back to town and then another 2 miles out to my lapsing. What made it worse was passing my Dom as she was driving home at 12.30 pm when i had another hour to work.
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
Re: summer lapsing stays while mail volumes hit all time hig
Because i am a postman driver and drive a vanREDLETTER wrote:Why are you driving to do lapsing?, that is what RM vans are for!krussel wrote:Lapsing is a funny thing really as some days it really does not bother me as it only taking you to your proper time. Other days though it feels just like un paid overtime and I can quite resent the extra walking on top of my already long delivery and especially having to drive for 20 mins between the two as my legs stiffen up.![]()
I felt a bit like that today when i had to drive 8.5 miles back to town and then another 2 miles out to my lapsing. What made it worse was passing my Dom as she was driving home at 12.30 pm when i had another hour to work.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
-
OnAFlyer
- Posts: 1938
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
- Gender: Male
Re: summer lapsing stays while mail volumes hit all time hig
Mail volumes at an all time high? There's been f**k all on all summer.
-
REDLETTER
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 748
- Joined: 27 Oct 2008, 19:00
- Gender: Male
- Location: EX-ROYAL MAIL
Re: summer lapsing stays while mail volumes hit all time hig
17 minutes to drive 8.5 miles and 4 minutes to drive 2 miles total 21 minutes (based on 30 mph!krussel wrote:Because i am a postman driver and drive a vanREDLETTER wrote:Why are you driving to do lapsing?, that is what RM vans are for!krussel wrote:Lapsing is a funny thing really as some days it really does not bother me as it only taking you to your proper time. Other days though it feels just like un paid overtime and I can quite resent the extra walking on top of my already long delivery and especially having to drive for 20 mins between the two as my legs stiffen up.![]()
I felt a bit like that today when i had to drive 8.5 miles back to town and then another 2 miles out to my lapsing. What made it worse was passing my Dom as she was driving home at 12.30 pm when i had another hour to work.
Did your DOM wave at you or did she suddenly shrink 2 ft into her seat and hide behind the steering wheel
-
DGP1
- Posts: 15551
- Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
- Gender: Male
- Location: Terminus
Re: summer lapsing stays while mail volumes hit all time hig
Maybe in your office but not mine.OnAFlyer wrote:Mail volumes at an all time high? There's been f**k all on all summer.
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
-
OnAFlyer
- Posts: 1938
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
- Gender: Male
Re: summer lapsing stays while mail volumes hit all time hig
I can't remember it ever being this light, today we were waiting for more mail to come in and then were told there wasn't any! Earliest i've finished on a weekday for a long time.DGP1 wrote:Maybe in your office but not mine.OnAFlyer wrote:Mail volumes at an all time high? There's been f**k all on all summer.
And yeah I know, I should have put drawing pins in the bottom of my shoes and crawled around until my finish time.
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
Re: summer lapsing stays while mail volumes hit all time hig
Yep its 8.5 miles back to my office town but i do hit a 2 mile stretch of dual carriage way where upon if I feel bothered I can hit the 70 mph restricted top speed of the Combo and make some time. However normally I simply cruise at 50 mph in the inside lane with the radio. The lapsing varies but normally takes between 20-35 mins. On that particular day I left the office to go home at 1330 hrs (an hour after the boss) which was ten mins before my finish time.REDLETTER wrote:17 minutes to drive 8.5 miles and 4 minutes to drive 2 miles total 21 minutes (based on 30 mph!krussel wrote:Because i am a postman driver and drive a vanREDLETTER wrote:Why are you driving to do lapsing?, that is what RM vans are for!krussel wrote:Lapsing is a funny thing really as some days it really does not bother me as it only taking you to your proper time. Other days though it feels just like un paid overtime and I can quite resent the extra walking on top of my already long delivery and especially having to drive for 20 mins between the two as my legs stiffen up.![]()
I felt a bit like that today when i had to drive 8.5 miles back to town and then another 2 miles out to my lapsing. What made it worse was passing my Dom as she was driving home at 12.30 pm when i had another hour to work.) , plus the lapsing time. You must have an easy duty to pull that in!
![]()
Did your DOM wave at you or did she suddenly shrink 2 ft into her seat and hide behind the steering wheel
As to having a easy duty, i dont know as i think its hard, well it is a driving delivery but not a good one really with a low seniority which can take up to 5 hours out the office. Walkers are finishing an hour quicker most days and no one wants to cover it when iam off. I am willing to work my time but would feel better about it if the managers would do the same.
As to passing my Dom she flashed her lights at me and waved as we passed. She’s been finishing before me for so long now I doubt it even crosses her mind. As the first posties return to go home as early as 11.30am I suppose she thinks she has done her days work and looks to the door herself to get out asap.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
Re: summer lapsing stays while mail volumes hit all time hig
OnAFlyer wrote:I can't remember it ever being this light, today we were waiting for more mail to come in and then were told there wasn't any! Earliest i've finished on a weekday for a long time.DGP1 wrote:Maybe in your office but not mine.OnAFlyer wrote:Mail volumes at an all time high? There's been f**k all on all summer.
And yeah I know, I should have put drawing pins in the bottom of my shoes and crawled around until my finish time.
I must admit that overall it has felt a light summer period.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
-
SWIM
- Posts: 425
- Joined: 11 Jan 2010, 20:33
- Gender: Male
Re: summer lapsing stays while mail volumes hit all time hig
heavy at our office today.
'deal of the century' - dingo
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
Re: summer lapsing stays while mail volumes hit all time hig
For example:
Our mail has picked up in the last couple of weeks but before that it seemed lighter. One thing I ve found in this lapsing lark is that it gives you a wider prospective on the weight of mail being delivered. My own delivery contains a large proportion of big houses and wealthy people which in turn tend to get mail every day so even on a light day I will be going to most houses with at least a couple of letters.
This still takes time and I tend not to finish anymore than 20 min earlier on even the lightest days so i do not feel it is light and beneficial .
However when I was doing a few roads on a council estate in July there was one close of 20 houses which I found I was missing half the houses each day, in fact one tue’s I only went in there to 4 HOUSES.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
-
Caniel
- Posts: 623
- Joined: 03 Jul 2009, 18:25
- Gender: Female
- Location: The Batcave
Re: summer lapsing stays while mail volumes hit all time hig
It seems light especially on a Monday and Tuesday when at my office because there really is f**k all about and when it's like that and I'm going out with 3 light bags I don't have a problem absorbing but come Wednesday onwards it's like the floodgates have opened..... Thursday I had 8 bags
all full of shite catalogues etc. Lino came round to tell me what I was absorbing, I thought they was meant to ask that...seems like they just tell us and expect us to do it now
.I told him that given how much I had it was likely I would be struggling to complete on time let alone absorb but he didn't care so I agreed to try anyway and ended up bringing it back.
-
BELIAL
- Posts: 6758
- Joined: 15 Jun 2007, 17:33
- Gender: Female
- Location: Nowhere
Re: summer lapsing stays while mail volumes hit all time hig
Be easier to just refuse your bonus, or volunteer to take out some lapsingOnAFlyer wrote:I can't remember it ever being this light, today we were waiting for more mail to come in and then were told there wasn't any! Earliest i've finished on a weekday for a long time.DGP1 wrote:Maybe in your office but not mine.OnAFlyer wrote:Mail volumes at an all time high? There's been f**k all on all summer.
And yeah I know, I should have put drawing pins in the bottom of my shoes and crawled around until my finish time.
Bye
-
OnAFlyer
- Posts: 1938
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
- Gender: Male
Re: summer lapsing stays while mail volumes hit all time hig
Bonus? How can I refuse f*ck all?BELIAL wrote:Be easier to just refuse your bonus, or volunteer to take out some lapsingOnAFlyer wrote:I can't remember it ever being this light, today we were waiting for more mail to come in and then were told there wasn't any! Earliest i've finished on a weekday for a long time.DGP1 wrote:Maybe in your office but not mine.OnAFlyer wrote:Mail volumes at an all time high? There's been f**k all on all summer.
And yeah I know, I should have put drawing pins in the bottom of my shoes and crawled around until my finish time.
And the time included my lapsing.
Krussel hit the nail on the head about mail volumes in his post above - I deliver to a grotty council estate and on a light day I doubt I have a 50% call rate. I've had 2 packet bags 5 or 6 times in 13 years, and most of the 150+ walks in our office cover the same type of area.
I've seen the proposed new walks for our CDV revision and they're pretty good tbh, i've been to other offices in the past that cover private estates with lots of doctors/professionals and the amount of mail they get is huge compared to us.