ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Taking break and cutting off

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
ashadd
Posts: 605
Joined: 03 Oct 2008, 20:20
Gender: Male

Re: Taking break and cutting off

Post by ashadd »

Thanks TB...... :wave
I married my wife for her looks, but not the one she gave me when i said i was going to be a postman.
stokes11eg
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3077
Joined: 20 Nov 2008, 12:51
Gender: Female

Re: Taking break and cutting off

Post by stokes11eg »

:shock: Does taking your daughter to nursery mean deviating from your route? If so, youicould be in trouble. Best clear everything up with your Manager first.
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Taking break and cutting off

Post by krussel »

We had a guy who,s son was special needs and would not get on the bus for school unless his dad made him so he used to leave his duty and go home for a break. Our dom Knew all about and was fine with the situ. He did it for a few years and even cut off with the rest of us somedays without any problems.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
smelly_cat_lady
Posts: 341
Joined: 22 Nov 2009, 15:08
Gender: Female
Location: On the delivery office floor looking up shorts

Re: Taking break and cutting off

Post by smelly_cat_lady »

EH?!! FFS! I haven't got a problem with people having a break per se, I just think that this really takes the biscuit. Can I take it from your post that this is would be what happens:

Start walk as usual then once at 123 Acacia Avenue, you put your bag in the back of your car and drive off to collect your daughter and deliver her to nursery. You then return to 123 Acacia Avenue and re start your delivery? EVERY DAY??

Is Acacia Avenue on your walk? If not, how do you get there?

What are you going to do if you can't finish on time?

How do you get to and from the start of your walk?

Whilst I agree that the firm can't tell you where (location) to take your break, I think that might generally refer to popping to the shop to get a butty or going to the Post Office, not sorting out your child care arrangements!! :roll:

I'm not trying a provoke a reaction, I'm merely stating my opinion and if you've read any of my posts you will know how venemently I hate the self absorbed wotsits at Royal Mail who think that no one else matters but themselves and going by your 'I don't care what people think' attitude and your 'benefit me' comment, that clearly describes you. Postman is right when he says 'you now have a situation where in the real world you can't pick up your daughter'. THIS IS THE REAL WORLD and its the real world of hard working honest people who organise their lives round their job NOT the other way around. When you had your child you should have thought a bit harder about the responsibilities that go with it, not just expect everyone else to bend over and flex for you just because you play the 'i've got kids card'. Get over it.

When are people like you going to realise that you and your selfish actions are costing people their jobs? What manager in their right mind if going to object to you saving them yet more money by taking your car out and working over your time without getting paid??

Honestly, you should be ashamed of yourself for even asking such a question :no no Beside which, whatever we advise on here or whatever your manager tells you I suspect that a) you are already doing it b) will do it anyway or c) both :no no
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Taking break and cutting off

Post by fishtank »

smelly_cat_lady wrote: Is Acacia Avenue on your walk? If not, how do you get there?
Isn't that where Charlotte the Harlot lived?....or was it bananaman?.....i always get those two mixed up. :confused :chuckle
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
Pinky 1
Posts: 1510
Joined: 01 Mar 2009, 11:38
Gender: Male
Location: Wales

Re: Taking break and cutting off

Post by Pinky 1 »

Well i know who lives at no. 22 ....... :wink:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD58jdCPE_I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Cara yn bod 'n briod , dydy 'n fawr at ca a hun 'n anad berson a 'ch angen at blina achos 'r bwyso chan 'ch buchedd "
" I like being married,, it's great to find that one special person you want to bother for the rest of your life "
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Taking break and cutting off

Post by fishtank »

Pinky 1 wrote:Well i know who lives at no. 22 ....... :wink:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD58jdCPE_I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:chuckle :chuckle :chuckle

It was Charlotte after all..
More spinal tap than spinal tap....you've got to love Iron Maiden. :chuckle :chuckle
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
Patrick Clifton
Posts: 430
Joined: 16 May 2010, 12:37
Gender: Male
Location: Greendale

Re: Taking break and cutting off

Post by Patrick Clifton »

fishtank wrote:
smelly_cat_lady wrote: Is Acacia Avenue on your walk? If not, how do you get there?
Isn't that where Charlotte the Harlot lived?....or was it bananaman?.....i always get those two mixed up. :confused :chuckle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq2KXudEjkI
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Taking break and cutting off

Post by fishtank »

Patrick Clifton wrote:
fishtank wrote:
smelly_cat_lady wrote: Is Acacia Avenue on your walk? If not, how do you get there?
Isn't that where Charlotte the Harlot lived?....or was it bananaman?.....i always get those two mixed up. :confused :chuckle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq2KXudEjkI
Ahh he was Acacia Road.....i bet he got miss-deliveries from Charlotte's place. :chuckle :chuckle
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
SexyLegs
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 393
Joined: 13 Apr 2010, 16:00
Gender: Male

Re: Taking break and cutting off

Post by SexyLegs »

Tis Indeed Charlotte the Harlot Pat, the continuing saga from the one, the only....Iron Maiden :Applause :Applause :Applause :Applause :Applause

If you're feeling down depressed and lonely
I know a place where we can go
22 Acacia Avenue
Meet a lady that I know

So if you're looking for a good time
And you're prepared to pay the price
Fifteen quid is all she asks for
Everybody's got their vice

If you're waiting for a long time
For the rest to do their piece
You can tell her that you know me
You might even get it free

So any time you're down the East End
Don't you hesitate to go
You can take my honest word for it
She'll teach you more than you can know

Charlotte can't you get out
From all of this madness?
Can't you see
It only brings you sadness
When you entertain your men
Don't you know the risk of getting disease?

Some day when you're reaching
The age of forty
I bet you'll regret the days
When you were laying
Nobody then will want to know
You won't have any beautiful wares to show any more

22, the Avenue
That's the place where we all go
You will find it's warm inside
The red light's burning bright tonight

Charlotte isn't it time
You stopped this mad life?
Don't you ever think
About the bad times?
Why do you have to live this way?
Do you enjoy your lay or is it the pay?

Sometimes when you're strolling
Down the Avenue
The way you walk it makes me think
Of having you
When you're walking down the street
Everybody stops and turns to stare at you

22, the Avenue
That's the place where we all go
You will find it's warm inside
The red light's burning bright tonight

Beat her, mistreat her
Do anything that you please
Bite her, excite her
Make her get down on her knees
Abuse her, misuse her
She can take all that you've got
Caress her, molest her
She always does what you want

You're running away
Don't you know what you're doing?
Can't you see it'll lead you to ruin?
Charlotte you've taken your life
And you've thrown it away
You believe that because
What you're earning
Your life's good don't you know
That is hurting...
All the people that love you
Don't cast them aside

All the men
That are constantly drooling
It's no life for you
Stop all that screwing
You're packing your bags
And you're coming with me
BDR
Posts: 31
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 15:38
Gender: Male

Re: Taking break and cutting off

Post by BDR »

Back to the Subject please:: I remember something once about being allowed to go a certain amount of miles off route to have M/R on a rural - similar thing in town surely ?
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Taking break and cutting off

Post by fishtank »

BDR wrote:Back to the Subject please:: I remember something once about being allowed to go a certain amount of miles off route to have M/R on a rural - similar thing in town surely ?
If you look at the meal relief in the new duty structures they are fixed.
Also the use of private cars on delivery will(with certain exceptions) be banned.
Also town deliveries will in the most part be either park&loop...and you can't disappear with the van or... HCT and you can't leave the HCT.
So it might be quite difficult in future.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
bunkerland
Posts: 546
Joined: 11 Oct 2009, 21:40
Gender: Male

Re: Taking break and cutting off

Post by bunkerland »

What's the big deal? :hmmmm

I would say in most jobs you can do what you want in your lunch break,if you start at 830am then 11am seems a reasonable time to take your break. If you leave your car in the area beforehand that seems fair enough,secure mail in pouch box? Make sure you're back before your break ends,complete delivery. Obviously you would discuss the situation with the manager first. Personally,i'd be exhausting every avenue before doing it this way myself but juggling job and childcare can be a nightmare.

I can't see why this is costing people their jobs,am i missing something Sm Cat?
jaylime
Posts: 331
Joined: 09 Jan 2009, 10:27
Gender: Male

Re: Taking break and cutting off

Post by jaylime »

Smelly cat lady alot of your posts end with the line"Go and get another job".Either you are devoid of the brains you were born with or your just after a rise out of people.This response is typical from someone who is unable to give or take constructive criticism due to a lack of social skills.Maybe one day you will be on here moaning about some predicament your in at the time.But if i were you I would'nt bother I would just go and get another job. :shhhhh
postghost
Posts: 433
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 21:19

Re: Taking break and cutting off

Post by postghost »

smelly_cat_lady wrote:Can I take it from your post that this is would be what happens:

Start walk as usual then once at 123 Acacia Avenue, you put your bag in the back of your car and drive off to collect your daughter and deliver her to nursery. You then return to 123 Acacia Avenue and re start your delivery? EVERY DAY??
Why would I put my bag in the back of my car and drive of?? I am not insured to carry mail items in my car unless to first point of delivery. As I already stated - it would NOT be every day.


smelly_cat_lady wrote:
What are you going to do if you can't finish on time?
"Finish" on time for what?? I was talking about taking my break...
smelly_cat_lady wrote:
How do you get to and from the start of your walk?
Bus.
smelly_cat_lady wrote: Whilst I agree that the firm can't tell you where (location) to take your break, I think that might generally refer to popping to the shop to get a butty or going to the Post Office, not sorting out your child care arrangements!! :roll:
You are missing the point. That point being I have 30 minutes break time a day. It's a legal requirement they have to oblige ME!
All I was asking is if anyone else would see an issue with me spending those 30 minutes that I am entitled to do as I wanted. It's called a "rest" break for a reason. I'm not going to spend those 30 minutes pondering what's best for the "firm"
I will do whatever suits me in those 30 minutes. I am just guessing that some management will have an issue with it because some of the twats in our DO don't claim for a break. Now if I take 30 minutes break and I still go over my time by 30 minutes.....Who owes who?
I will stick in my 30 minutes OT and be subject to a barrage of questions about why I am the only part timer claiming OTfrom my manager....

smelly_cat_lady wrote: I'm not trying a provoke a reaction, I'm merely stating my opinion and if you've read any of my posts you will know how venemently I hate the self absorbed wotsits at Royal Mail who think that no one else matters but themselves and going by your 'I don't care what people think' attitude and your 'benefit me' comment, that clearly describes you. Postman is right when he says 'you now have a situation where in the real world you can't pick up your daughter'. THIS IS THE REAL WORLD and its the real world of hard working honest people who organise their lives round their job NOT the other way around. When you had your child you should have thought a bit harder about the responsibilities that go with it, not just expect everyone else to bend over and flex for you just because you play the 'i've got kids card'. Get over it.

When are people like you going to realise that you and your selfish actions are costing people their jobs? What manager in their right mind if going to object to you saving them yet more money by taking your car out and working over your time without getting paid??

Honestly, you should be ashamed of yourself for even asking such a question :no no Beside which, whatever we advise on here or whatever your manager tells you I suspect that a) you are already doing it b) will do it anyway or c) both :no no
Wow. You are obviously very troubled / depressed / downright mental

You are missing the point entirely and then droaning on about people who have kids and that the real world is organising life round about work.

I can promise you that there is not one single person on this ENTIRE board who will agree with the majority of what you have typed above in you final paragraph, specifically:

When you had your child you should have thought a bit harder about the responsibilities that go with it, not just expect everyone else to bend over and flex for you just because you play the 'i've got kids card'. Get over it.

That was actually quite funny yet sad. It's quite clear you obviously don't have any kids and that you are actually very bitter towards anyone that has a family.

I never said I expected anyone to "bend over and flex" for me.
I just expect to be able to spend my allocate break time as I choose to.
The question I had was wether RM management would have a problem with this or not given their impeccable skill of making problems appear out of thin air for people.

Are you getting this or not Smelly Cat Lady or are you going to continue to direct some confused ramblings towards me about me not being a team player etc etc? :wave
Last edited by postghost on 05 Aug 2010, 20:07, edited 1 time in total.