I don't think the numbers have dropped to the level we thought.For example this site before the ballot seemed to indicate that it would be a NO vote. In fact it seemed there would be a high turnout too.However it is only the concerned that have any interest.The majority did not vote.Some said they did not get their ballot papers,but I don't think it was a major sway anyway even if they did.
Is it apathy? Have our draconian trade union laws done what it was meant to do? I don't know.But I'll tell you this much.Local reps,(active one's) have never been so busy. This is a fact.
The non-active one's ...well...there is your problem. It's that "I'm alright jack" syndrome again.
A union is only as strong as the people within.I would never sit back and wait for someone else to fight my battles via a "letter to branches" or a "i'm alright jack" person. I would get the info and pass it to my local rep as soon as possible.It may help him.
You cannot look after 90'000 plus people from one office.You need to support your local reps from there. I have seen many a face say the union are s**t.When I have called a ballot you should see the "foot shufflers".
These are the same people who say the union are s**t!
You would be suprised at how a local rep does not know national agreements or the process to go into IR framework.It is scary.The amount of times I have written letters for them is also scary. Do they want to learn? I don't know because I know they went on the Union Skills courses,so what was the point in that? Remember the CWU paid for them to go on the course,(our subs). They get back and start signing off s**t deals or not at all.
In terms of the standards not being met. Well for starters the national agreed performance standards still hold the field.However that agreement is only as strong as the people upholding it,or backing it.
I don't think trade unions have got everything right by a long shot...but again they have helped me,(and our office) in the past because we backed the rep.But some have had bad experiences and I do accept that too.
Once again I am preaching to the converted so never mind me! I'm ranting again!! I don't think the blame can be aimed just at one organisation.It is attitudes. You normally get people attending union meetings AFTER they have been in trouble and the rep has defended them well...if not...they don't turn up...simple as that!