ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

a lapsing debate

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
stodgy88
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 641
Joined: 14 Nov 2008, 20:11
Gender: Male

Re: a lapsing debate

Post by stodgy88 »

i checked with my rep-3 and a half still in place ,so when asked to lapse on thursday said no ,agreed to work in office ,told it was 3and half hours per day ,not maximum ,i said ask rep,end of conversation ,just did my own duty ,took me bang to time.
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

Re: a lapsing debate

Post by number one »

I start at 5:45am and do lapsing mon-fri. The mail had been so light this last two weeks I have been finishing around 11am all week and the earliest I have finished was 10:10!! I come in around 10mins early to make a brew take my breaks and use a bike!!! On thurs and fri im paid till 14.45 and finish at 11! The job and knock is still very much alive!!!!!!!!!!!
spilie
Posts: 515
Joined: 28 Oct 2007, 21:48

Re: a lapsing debate

Post by spilie »

sick and tired of listening to "part time staff coming in early and using thier cars" in our office f/t staff come in early and rifle through the sequenced take out theres and start throwing it in thier frames, along with making up all thier d2d for the week and all the d2d for the dual prep frames they are on, then they run out with thier lapsing bit and do part of thier own walks in thier own cars and come back in time for missorts, so see its not a p/t disease its a w**ker disease
chunk
Posts: 957
Joined: 29 Jul 2009, 20:21
Gender: Male

Re: a lapsing debate

Post by chunk »

number one wrote:I start at 5:45am and do lapsing mon-fri. The mail had been so light this last two weeks I have been finishing around 11am all week and the earliest I have finished was 10:10!! I come in around 10mins early to make a brew take my breaks and use a bike!!! On thurs and fri im paid till 14.45 and finish at 11! The job and knock is still very much alive!!!!!!!!!!!

Not true for our office.
pattern is two light days and 4 heavy ones
any time made by tuesday is lost "and some" by friday
advertisers in our area are utilizing the d2d so 4 this week 4 last week.
I'm a postman-and i know where you live.....
london sub
Posts: 397
Joined: 29 Jan 2009, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: a lapsing debate

Post by london sub »

I really don't care what contract any body is on...whether it be from 1hr to 40hrs, if you have time then do it!

If not then, don't come in early, don't be bullied into doing it, don't take your car, don't take short cuts by cutting across gardens, don't run around like its the end of the world!

Anybody else got anything to add :Very Happy
BELIAL
Posts: 6758
Joined: 15 Jun 2007, 17:33
Gender: Female
Location: Nowhere

Re: a lapsing debate

Post by BELIAL »

Nope
Bye
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1923
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
Gender: Male

Re: a lapsing debate

Post by IloveMYredTROLLEY! »

dvbuk55 wrote:Here's something else to think about - if you had over 20 years service, and was senior to 150 colleagues would you be making the same posts? :hmmmm It's a no brainer really isn't it?
I missed this reply to my post last night...

During the course of a 20 year spell, it would not be unreasonable to expect the working practices of a company (especially a national one), to change considerably. It's often (but not always ) the "old guard" that resent change and I could imagine the abolishment of "job and finish" to leave a sour taste in their mouths, as would D2D being part of the daily workload (and therefore any postie can be reasonably asked to prep D2D on a ny frame in the depot).

The walks in an office do not need to be and should not differ considerably, on an average week we should all be leaving and returning to the depot around the same time. If not, then the computer boffins need to re-do their wonderful walk program, or the rediculously early finishers need to return directly to the depot to get on with other work (rather than having haircuts in work time, or going window shopping to kill some time, above and beyond their rightful meal relief breaks).

The no-brainer is that if a colleague has whatever length contract that finishes at say 1400 each day, that's precisely what they should be doing something work related for (unless they have agreed to overtime, of course)... Simples!

And on that note, I shall finish getting ready for "pig Friday," where I expect 8 specials; ~10 recorded; ~50 parcels... and a finish time at least one hour over my contract time finish of 1400, even having delivered Friday's D2D within my contract hours on my "easy Monday" where I usually finish at 1400. Enjoy! :wave
gazzariah
Posts: 126
Joined: 22 Nov 2009, 13:20
Gender: Male

Re: a lapsing debate

Post by gazzariah »

fishtank wrote:The only thing i would add to TBTs post is that as far as i'm aware the 3.5hr maximum delivery span is still in place if you do not have the new delivery methods yet so you should not be lapsing as part of your delivery IF this will take you beyond your 3.5hrs.
If this is the case then lapsing indoor work would be more appropriate,if in doubt....speak to your rep to make sure there are no local agreements to go beyond 3.5hrs.
what bloody rep .
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: a lapsing debate

Post by dvbuk55 »

IloveMYredTROLLEY! wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:Here's something else to think about - if you had over 20 years service, and was senior to 150 colleagues would you be making the same posts? :hmmmm It's a no brainer really isn't it?
I missed this reply to my post last night...

During the course of a 20 year spell, it would not be unreasonable to expect the working practices of a company (especially a national one), to change considerably. It's often (but not always ) the "old guard" that resent change and I could imagine the abolishment of "job and finish" to leave a sour taste in their mouths, as would D2D being part of the daily workload (and therefore any postie can be reasonably asked to prep D2D on a ny frame in the depot).

The walks in an office do not need to be and should not differ considerably, on an average week we should all be leaving and returning to the depot around the same time. If not, then the computer boffins need to re-do their wonderful walk program, or the rediculously early finishers need to return directly to the depot to get on with other work (rather than having haircuts in work time, or going window shopping to kill some time, above and beyond their rightful meal relief breaks).

The no-brainer is that if a colleague has whatever length contract that finishes at say 1400 each day, that's precisely what they should be doing something work related for (unless they have agreed to overtime, of course)... Simples!

And on that note, I shall finish getting ready for "pig Friday," where I expect 8 specials; ~10 recorded; ~50 parcels... and a finish time at least one hour over my contract time finish of 1400, even having delivered Friday's D2D within my contract hours on my "easy Monday" where I usually finish at 1400. Enjoy! :wave


You remind me of pyjamapete, post a simple sentence and get a missive in reply - if you don't like the system, try elsewhere - but I have the feeling that wouldn't suit you either.
mclovin
Posts: 1106
Joined: 11 Feb 2009, 18:39
Gender: Male

Re: a lapsing debate

Post by mclovin »

Red Trolley, sorry but its impossible for them to get all walks equal.

Some duties get tons of gear but say 350 calls, some dont get as much but have 650 calls.

So on an average day 350 man might have a 100% call rate, 650 man might have 85% call rate.

Now I'm confused as to where I was going with that.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: a lapsing debate

Post by fishtank »

I've been told in every single revision i've been involved in that "this will finally equalise the walks".
This one says the same and i'm expecting the same result. :cuppa
If you can get them within 15mins which most of ours are then you've done well.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: a lapsing debate

Post by dvbuk55 »

mclovin wrote:Red Trolley, sorry but its impossible for them to get all walks equal.

Some duties get tons of gear but say 350 calls, some dont get as much but have 650 calls.

So on an average day 350 man might have a 100% call rate, 650 man might have 85% call rate.

Now I'm confused as to where I was going with that.
Does the matron know you haven't taken your medication mclovin :hmmmm :chuckle :chuckle :chuckle
singingpostman
Posts: 148
Joined: 01 Oct 2007, 14:22

Re: a lapsing debate

Post by singingpostman »

We usally have to lapse only about once a week which I guess is'nt to bad, but often it happens on a day when time is tight to complete your own round, so we say sorry dont have time to lapse, we then get told by DOM, leave part of your round in order to do the part of the lapsed round, is this right ?, doesnt worry me particulary as I will only work my time regardless, but I have seen many comments on the forum where people have said they dont have time ,and they dont then do lapsing, just wondered if it's covered in the agreement anywhere ?
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: a lapsing debate

Post by OnAFlyer »

IloveMYredTROLLEY! wrote:10 minute waits to get a special signature in the bank
You surely don't stand in queues when you're delivering?
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1923
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
Gender: Male

Re: a lapsing debate

Post by IloveMYredTROLLEY! »

OnAFlyer wrote:
IloveMYredTROLLEY! wrote:10 minute waits to get a special signature in the bank
You surely don't stand in queues when you're delivering?
I queue to get a signature from the customer services section, whioch is usually a lot quicker than the booth queue, but sometimes both queues get slowed down horribly by detailed queries and not enough staff. If I'm supposed to be doing anything different, its another case of inferior training for the job, as I do precisely what the postie did on my "demo day" of the walk following re-sign.

Businesses are there to serve their customers, we are not priority for them and I would not expect to be, as I'm not spending money! When deciding how big a walk should be involving shops, more fool the people deciding the walk size if they do not allow for the fact that deliveries of any sort can and often will take longer than residential.

Another classic on my walk is delivering to charity shops, of which there is ~6. The tills are often manned by staff and/or volunteers with no official uniform or ID badges, yet I have to give the mail to someone who is not a customer. I kid you not, its a fun job playing spot the staff/volunteer when nobody is at the till in many shops I deliver to!