I'm a RM "mentor"/Workplace coach. AFAIK, no one I've trained has been done for wilful delay... Some have been promoted though.REDLETTER wrote:Where are the Royal Mail MENTORS?
This chap needed one, not some old time posties who wants to get his delivery done quicker using his car!
We have no mentors in our DO, peeps are shown buy an "experienced" postie, yes using a car, coming in early.............![]()
But I do understand where "smelly" is coming from! We all need to get a grip and fight for your rights (to party)
If you don't ask, you don't get (help)
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Upset and scared :(
-
TeeferTiger
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2783
- Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
- Gender: Female
- Location: Welsh Wales
Re: Upset and scared :(
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
-
blade8t1
- Posts: 29
- Joined: 07 Jul 2010, 23:33
- Gender: Male
Re: Upset and scared :(
You have serious issue's,I would rather have a misguided postie on my round any day as opposed to horrible,heartless,hormone dysfunctional postwoman coming near my property on a daily basis.smelly_cat_lady wrote:I feel that I need to clarify my thoughts on this post, indulge me for a minute cat haters! No, I'm not a manager I'm a 32 hour OPG in a town office in the South East. I wouldn't spend half my time on this forum slagging off linos and management in general if that was the case would I?? Unless its some very very very elaborate ruse on my behalf which I could not be bothered to do in the first place............ Now we've got that out of the way, lets go back to the start of this thread............and I quote:
No-one had told me when i started what to do with mail i couldn't deliver, as no-one works after 3 delivery wise
I have a real problem with this statement because this is where this individual's problems started. I can't understand why he didn't just ask someone? Even if there was no one in the office coming back from delivery, then surely you would just put your bag on your frame with a note explaining what you have done and go home? Next day, ask question when the office is full of postmen? Are you seriously telling me that this person is so 'upset and scared' that he couldn't even ask a question??! Every day he came into work and said nothing??? Come on! Even the most timid person in the office peeps up from time to time?? And even if this were true (and its a big IF) I would ask myself what is this person doing in a responsible role handling important items when they can't even conduct themselves in an adult responsible manner?
And therein lies the rub..........all too often with people and society in general, it is always someone else's fault. Lack of responsibility extends from having children to looking after a dog and beyond. When something goes wrong, well it was so so so said so or there wasn't a sign up saying I couldn't.......the list is endless. When are people going to be honest enough to put their hand up and say 'I'm sorry, I made a mistake, how can I put things right?' No, I'm not perfect and yes, I have dropped clangers left right and centre and boy! have I learned from them - by being honest about them in the first place.
My second problem is the universal belief on this forum that it is always Royal Mail's fault Yes, he probably didn't have adequate training and yes, things could have been handled better by his line manager and DOM but they have their responsibilities and clearly they failed theirs too. Get my drift? It's a vicious circle.
In conclusion, please stop blaming everyone else for your own foolish actions, take responsibility for your mistake and take your punishment like a man. And for all the tree huggers and do gooders out there I genuinely believe that this person should get some therapy before he even thinks about taking up another job.
Last edited by blade8t1 on 22 Jul 2010, 20:41, edited 1 time in total.
-
blade8t1
- Posts: 29
- Joined: 07 Jul 2010, 23:33
- Gender: Male
Re: Upset and scared :(
When I started I had a mentor with me on the first day,It went like this."right,,we got 4 bags,you take those 2,and i'll take these 2"we was done for 11:15.Then the rest of the week I was by myself.4 weeks later I was mentoring a new starter for 3 days.now I know its not rocket science this job,but come on!.I had been there a bloody month.Im not blaming royal mail,but it was definatly because of being short staffed.REDLETTER wrote:Where are the Royal Mail MENTORS?
This chap needed one, not some old time posties who wants to get his delivery done quicker using his car!
We have no mentors in our DO, peeps are shown buy an "experienced" postie, yes using a car, coming in early.............![]()
But I do understand where "smelly" is coming from! We all need to get a grip and fight for your rights (to party)
If you don't ask, you don't get (help)
-
REDLETTER
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 748
- Joined: 27 Oct 2008, 19:00
- Gender: Male
- Location: EX-ROYAL MAIL
Re: Upset and scared :(
I meant the mentors who get paid £30 a week! and don't do it properly! There needs to be a person that is the contact point for new starters who WANT to help the newbies. I have "trained" new starters, none of them left for wilful delay eitherblade8t1 wrote:When I started I had a mentor with me on the first day,It went like this."right,,we got 4 bags,you take those 2,and i'll take these 2"we was done for 11:15.Then the rest of the week I was by myself.4 weeks later I was mentoring a new starter for 3 days.now I know its not rocket science this job,but come on!.I had been there a bloody month.Im not blaming royal mail,but it was definatly because of being short staffed.REDLETTER wrote:Where are the Royal Mail MENTORS?
This chap needed one, not some old time posties who wants to get his delivery done quicker using his car!
We have no mentors in our DO, peeps are shown buy an "experienced" postie, yes using a car, coming in early.............![]()
But I do understand where "smelly" is coming from! We all need to get a grip and fight for your rights (to party)
If you don't ask, you don't get (help)
And No I don't want any monetary payment for help people!
I was trained by an old hand, not a mentor, shown the basic, told to do these D2Ds, never got paid for them! (thanks for splitting the dosh Mr postie!) and then left to get on with it. And on the third day of training, finished early as we split the duty, got back to the DO and was told by the Lino to take part a walk out 4 miles across town in my own car! (thanks you lazy f*t g*t)
-
andy2007
- Posts: 3971
- Joined: 14 Sep 2007, 10:16
- Gender: Male
- Location: Earth
Re: Upset and scared :(
Is there any need for accusations like that?smelly_cat_lady wrote:Well done you..........nice bit of compo eh? Well done for that, now you won't have to open any more letters to find money!
I think not! Don't you think that if Discoinferno had been stealing, it would have come out in the Court case?
In your later post, you made some good points. And although I don't completely agree with what you said in that one, I do agree with some of it. But to go and accuse someone of stealing from the Mail, when there's no evidence of it happening, is disgraceful!
Don't knock Insanity
it's just another outlook on Reality!
it's just another outlook on Reality!
-
discoinferno
- Posts: 65
- Joined: 27 Mar 2008, 11:57
Re: Upset and scared :(
smelly_cat_lady wrote:Well done you..........nice bit of compo eh? Well done for that, now you won't have to open any more letters to find money!
you should have gone to spec savers then mate..try reading the posts i wrote before judging me...There was no theft noy charged with theft only wilful delay after being out on overtime the previous day at five pm and being unable to return any 739 items i took them back the following morning along with missorts and mail that should have been "killed off" at the sorting fame that was taken out by be as live mail ,that i bagged up for delivery..is that a bit more clareer for you?..lol,plese when being quick to judge at least be bothered to read whats being said. TA
-
discoinferno
- Posts: 65
- Joined: 27 Mar 2008, 11:57
Re: Upset and scared :(
With regards to training at the royal mail here is what training i had to start with.
I was working at a large mail center on a night shift on a temp contract fromAug to xmas.I was finished but offered a job with less hours there ,i turned it down as 21 hours was not enough.
The following week my manager at the mail center came up to me and said i could appeal against being finished from my contract,i declined .
The following night same manager came up to me and said " your appeal is tonight at 1.00 Am in my office" with some head honcho...Appeal?..what appeal?.
So i tunrs up and this guy is almost as good as wanting me to stick my tongue down his trousers and lick his arse for a job at the Royal Mail..na not me wasnt that bothered despite me enjoying the job.
Anyways i think this suprised him as on my last night of my night shift contract he sent me up to this D/O who where struggling badly for staff when i got there the dom offered me 21 hours a week as a bag carrier ,mmm not enough hours i told him to which he said i would get mre hours as overtime that i would always make a decent living from it.
The training, i was given a coach for one week during this time i swear to you this is true i was putting mail into the sorting frame just address for address.
At no point wa i shown how to claim d2d or fill in the old d2d payment sheet,how to collect specilas and the rules regarding them as well as recorded items,not shown how to claim ext delivery as ot so subsequently i was working three hours a day extra for nothing,never knew the rules on sky mags etc etc, was not shown pouching off proceedures and why was not told about returning items to the do,never told about cutting off (it took me a year to discover this)
All in alll anything i learned i learned from making mistakes or friends who i started with came over to tell me i was doing something wrong.
With reagrds to overtime ,every morning ,after a few months of sussing i was working unpaid hours i decide i would claim the ot or the work i was doin.
The proceedure was to approach the dom (we had three) and he had a clip board clutched to his chest,upon asking him for the ot board to claim ext del he asked why ,then refused you if you did not have good grounds for laiming it (at this point i did not know what cutting off was either) completely true.
During my trial with the Rm they produced some training manual i had signed back in the mail center that deals with delivery of mail,they produced that as proof that i had the right training with regards to wilful delay.as true as im sitting here.
I was working at a large mail center on a night shift on a temp contract fromAug to xmas.I was finished but offered a job with less hours there ,i turned it down as 21 hours was not enough.
The following week my manager at the mail center came up to me and said i could appeal against being finished from my contract,i declined .
The following night same manager came up to me and said " your appeal is tonight at 1.00 Am in my office" with some head honcho...Appeal?..what appeal?.
So i tunrs up and this guy is almost as good as wanting me to stick my tongue down his trousers and lick his arse for a job at the Royal Mail..na not me wasnt that bothered despite me enjoying the job.
Anyways i think this suprised him as on my last night of my night shift contract he sent me up to this D/O who where struggling badly for staff when i got there the dom offered me 21 hours a week as a bag carrier ,mmm not enough hours i told him to which he said i would get mre hours as overtime that i would always make a decent living from it.
The training, i was given a coach for one week during this time i swear to you this is true i was putting mail into the sorting frame just address for address.
At no point wa i shown how to claim d2d or fill in the old d2d payment sheet,how to collect specilas and the rules regarding them as well as recorded items,not shown how to claim ext delivery as ot so subsequently i was working three hours a day extra for nothing,never knew the rules on sky mags etc etc, was not shown pouching off proceedures and why was not told about returning items to the do,never told about cutting off (it took me a year to discover this)
All in alll anything i learned i learned from making mistakes or friends who i started with came over to tell me i was doing something wrong.
With reagrds to overtime ,every morning ,after a few months of sussing i was working unpaid hours i decide i would claim the ot or the work i was doin.
The proceedure was to approach the dom (we had three) and he had a clip board clutched to his chest,upon asking him for the ot board to claim ext del he asked why ,then refused you if you did not have good grounds for laiming it (at this point i did not know what cutting off was either) completely true.
During my trial with the Rm they produced some training manual i had signed back in the mail center that deals with delivery of mail,they produced that as proof that i had the right training with regards to wilful delay.as true as im sitting here.
-
discoinferno
- Posts: 65
- Joined: 27 Mar 2008, 11:57
Re: Upset and scared :(
My contract
21 hours a week bag carrying duty
No prep
one day in the week (never had a saturday off in three years)
expected to go to any DO in this city to cover any walk in this city without notice (often this would incude me driving to my DO then being turned around to drive across the city in rush hour.
Prep Overtime was paid at a capped 2 hours no more ,if you agreed to prep a round i got 2 hours OT for doing so ,this would involve coming in at five -six (old days) prep the round (no ips for me)wait for specials wait for missorts this would usually take three hours or more before delivery (piad 2 hours worked 3- 4 unpaid) no early morning allowance.
No meal relief
standard duty :come into DO collect prepped round,band up ,bag up ,sort parcels wait for specials and missorts,time alloted 15 mins,travel (by own car)to allocated round 15 mins,delivery time for walk of average 500-600 addresses 3 hours,overtime claimed ...NONE,hours worked in a week 35-40 ,hours paid ?....21 and so it went on.
I once came into my DO one morning at 8.00am to collect my walk to be stopped in the car park my a dom who banged on my bonnet shouting the name of another DO ,telling me i had to go there as he had given my walk away to someone else and promise me to another office.
On getting there i had to prep a walk i had never seen before or done ,it took me three hours to prep it then four to deliver it as i had no idea how to bag it correctly because everyone had left ,i was walking around in circles
The next morning i returned to my own DO ,no thankyous nothing,i asked for the OT board as they owed me a couple of hours prep time and ex del OT ,my dom said NO!! i never saw the OT money ,his excuse?...that should have claimed it at the office i worked the OT at...Royla Mail they treat thier people like shat.my take on it anyway
21 hours a week bag carrying duty
No prep
one day in the week (never had a saturday off in three years)
expected to go to any DO in this city to cover any walk in this city without notice (often this would incude me driving to my DO then being turned around to drive across the city in rush hour.
Prep Overtime was paid at a capped 2 hours no more ,if you agreed to prep a round i got 2 hours OT for doing so ,this would involve coming in at five -six (old days) prep the round (no ips for me)wait for specials wait for missorts this would usually take three hours or more before delivery (piad 2 hours worked 3- 4 unpaid) no early morning allowance.
No meal relief
standard duty :come into DO collect prepped round,band up ,bag up ,sort parcels wait for specials and missorts,time alloted 15 mins,travel (by own car)to allocated round 15 mins,delivery time for walk of average 500-600 addresses 3 hours,overtime claimed ...NONE,hours worked in a week 35-40 ,hours paid ?....21 and so it went on.
I once came into my DO one morning at 8.00am to collect my walk to be stopped in the car park my a dom who banged on my bonnet shouting the name of another DO ,telling me i had to go there as he had given my walk away to someone else and promise me to another office.
On getting there i had to prep a walk i had never seen before or done ,it took me three hours to prep it then four to deliver it as i had no idea how to bag it correctly because everyone had left ,i was walking around in circles
The next morning i returned to my own DO ,no thankyous nothing,i asked for the OT board as they owed me a couple of hours prep time and ex del OT ,my dom said NO!! i never saw the OT money ,his excuse?...that should have claimed it at the office i worked the OT at...Royla Mail they treat thier people like shat.my take on it anyway
-
discoinferno
- Posts: 65
- Joined: 27 Mar 2008, 11:57
Re: Upset and scared :(
Edit *3.5 hours del time
-
discoinferno
- Posts: 65
- Joined: 27 Mar 2008, 11:57
Re: Upset and scared :(
can i just ask .has anyone from the midlands had dealings with the IB ?..on any level? or know anyone who has? just curious
-
arty_morty
- Posts: 282
- Joined: 24 Jun 2010, 13:07
- Gender: Male
- Location: London
Re: Upset and scared :(
As a veteran of 3 whole weeks I feel suitably qualified to add my opinion to this thread. The way our office operates (and I can't believe this is hugely different from elsewhere) is sort of organised before we all head out and then it's all for one and every man for himself.
The main priority as I see it is to get home as soon as possible. When I was being trained, for a whole 4 days, I was generally finished by 12. Since then I have been finishing at nearer 2. As I left the office on Saturday the DOM mentioned that the office closed at 130. I asked himwhat I should do if I was running late. he replied that Saturday's were quiet and I should easily be done before 130. That was the extent of my advice.
I enjoy my job but find the whole structure of management to be to bury their heads in the sand and hope nothing goes wrong. There has been a lot of comment on what Ashy done but I can't recall any comment on what he should have done.
Is it that nobody actually knows?
The main priority as I see it is to get home as soon as possible. When I was being trained, for a whole 4 days, I was generally finished by 12. Since then I have been finishing at nearer 2. As I left the office on Saturday the DOM mentioned that the office closed at 130. I asked himwhat I should do if I was running late. he replied that Saturday's were quiet and I should easily be done before 130. That was the extent of my advice.
I enjoy my job but find the whole structure of management to be to bury their heads in the sand and hope nothing goes wrong. There has been a lot of comment on what Ashy done but I can't recall any comment on what he should have done.
Is it that nobody actually knows?
I staged a Roger Moore impersonator festival in my local village. There were a lot of eyebrows raised, I can tell you.
-
greynut
- Posts: 334
- Joined: 09 Nov 2007, 15:36
- Location: Shitsville
Re: Upset and scared :(
I am with Jimmy Carrs Laugh here.
IB wouldn t have a clue about you after 2 weeks. Somethings not right here.
We have a bloke in our office who is nicking the RM boots as they come in. YES, he is actually going into the office where they are kept, nicking them and selling them on ebay. Now the line manager knows it going on because this guy has admitted it while in a van. Stating, "I get £30.00 a pop for these, its easy money."
Now someone has grassed him up, but the IB are too busy to pursue according to the line manager.
So again, something isn t right here.
IB wouldn t have a clue about you after 2 weeks. Somethings not right here.
We have a bloke in our office who is nicking the RM boots as they come in. YES, he is actually going into the office where they are kept, nicking them and selling them on ebay. Now the line manager knows it going on because this guy has admitted it while in a van. Stating, "I get £30.00 a pop for these, its easy money."
Now someone has grassed him up, but the IB are too busy to pursue according to the line manager.
So again, something isn t right here.
-
discoinferno
- Posts: 65
- Joined: 27 Mar 2008, 11:57
Re: Upset and scared :(
And theft on any level is a crime i think that the RM needs a serious re think of it policies before judge and jury sit on those poorly trained and making inadvertent mistakes?....mmmgreynut wrote:I am with Jimmy Carrs Laugh here.
IB wouldn t have a clue about you after 2 weeks. Somethings not right here.![]()
We have a bloke in our office who is nicking the RM boots as they come in. YES, he is actually going into the office where they are kept, nicking them and selling them on ebay. Now the line manager knows it going on because this guy has admitted it while in a van. Stating, "I get £30.00 a pop for these, its easy money."
Now someone has grassed him up, but the IB are too busy to pursue according to the line manager.
So again, something isn t right here.
-
doubleA
- Posts: 14
- Joined: 25 Jul 2010, 18:59
- Gender: Male
Re: Upset and scared :(
smelly_cat_lady wrote:Well done you..........nice bit of compo eh? Well done for that, now you won't have to open any more letters to find money!
could you be anymore nasty
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Upset and scared :(
Judging from previous posts, quite easily I would imagine.doubleA wrote:smelly_cat_lady wrote:Well done you..........nice bit of compo eh? Well done for that, now you won't have to open any more letters to find money!
could you be anymore nasty