ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

what time did you finish today

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Thorby Bislam
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 495
Joined: 04 Jan 2008, 20:45
Gender: Male
Location: Desolation Row

Re: what time did you finish today

Post by Thorby Bislam »

FAO Fishtank / Custard,
Thorby Bislam wrote:Not too bad on incoming mail but I had a full perstop tray of Mailsort left from Saturday. Out at 9:45. Did my lapsing. Completed the walk. finished at 14:30. So half hour OT which means starting half hour later tomorrow as you cant book it. Would have finished on time but for the lapsing. Usual aggravation expected tomorrow AM.
It sounds worse than it is. I'm a cover duty at the moment and it is my first day on this walk although I have done it before. About 5 years ago. I thought that with getting out at 9:45, I'd be back for 14:00 (normal finish time on a Monday), that's why I did the lapse. Was almost right too. Back and pouched off for 14:10. Add the second 20 minutes break makes 14:30. The first 20 minutes was taken before I left the office, as it always is.

They dont pay docket to anybody, it's not just me. Claim there's no money in the budget. So they say; "come in that much later the next day". Then they bitch and moan about you not being in for IPS like the rest. Most people have given up by now. It's too much bother but stuff it, I aint working for free. If I cant take it in money, I'll take it in time. Roll on VR.
Just spilt stain-remover down my shirt. Now how do I get that out?
jessthecat
Posts: 67
Joined: 15 Jul 2009, 15:47
Gender: Male

Re: what time did you finish today

Post by jessthecat »

Thorby Bislam wrote:Not too bad on incoming mail but I had a full perstop tray of Mailsort left from Saturday. Out at 9:45. Did my lapsing. Completed the walk. finished at 14:30. So half hour OT which means starting half hour later tomorrow as you cant book it. Would have finished on time but for the lapsing. Usual aggravation expected tomorrow AM.
I thought that saturdays were a normal working day now. Gone are the days in our office, when you could once decide whether to take mailsorts on a saturday, or leave them 'til monday?
dejavu
Posts: 193
Joined: 28 Sep 2009, 16:05
Gender: Male

Re: what time did you finish today

Post by dejavu »

Out on delivery at 9:00am back finished at 2:00pm, worked through dinner so half an hour overtime claimed.
Tommase
Posts: 75
Joined: 15 Apr 2010, 13:30
Gender: Male

Re: what time did you finish today

Post by Tommase »

9.15 1st letter - 1.15 last letter, back to yard unload van, trays, undelivered, collected mail

On a Monday ! One of the lighter days !

I'm sick of seeing this holy than holy attitude ' I always work my time, do what I'm paid for ' what a crock of Shite, an early finish is the only carrot left. And any half decent OPG will ensure they deliver as efficently as appropriate :so there
RandyBeanz
Posts: 44
Joined: 24 Jun 2010, 22:30
Gender: Male

Re: what time did you finish today

Post by RandyBeanz »

custard wrote:
J Whiteside wrote:out at 8.00. finished at 11

ah for the days
i just dont understand how some offices can be out at 8am
we still have missorts to come in at around 9am

was done on the street for about 1pm
still had my 20 minutes to take
so finish 40 minutes early
I didnt return to the office or this would have taken 20+ minutes from that
thats as good as it gets nowadays
we get 2 deliveries on tuesday-saturday. one at 6.00 and then at 7.45 but on a monday all the mail is on the 6 delivery
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: what time did you finish today

Post by OnAFlyer »

smelly_cat_lady wrote:Same as TBT, no matter what day, on time. Without fail, I work the hours I get paid for......no more...no less
Can I ask how you make Monday and Tuesday last as long as Thursday and Friday?
wiganpostie
Posts: 670
Joined: 09 Mar 2010, 20:16
Gender: Male

Re: what time did you finish today

Post by wiganpostie »

Ominously light day today. Perhaps the lightest Tuesday I've ever seen, I was quite literally delivering to about one in three houses, so the duty that took me until 12.45 to finish yesterday, today I finished for 11.25. I'm glad I'm not in tomorrow, it's probably going to be hellish :evil/mad
singingpostman
Posts: 148
Joined: 01 Oct 2007, 14:22

Re: what time did you finish today

Post by singingpostman »

OnAFlyer wrote:
smelly_cat_lady wrote:Same as TBT, no matter what day, on time. Without fail, I work the hours I get paid for......no more...no less
Can I ask how you make Monday and Tuesday last as long as Thursday and Friday?
Probably the same as our office working longs and shorts, Mon medium length, Tues and Sat short length, Wed Thurs Fri long length.

Can never fathom why this company has so many different attendance patterns across the country when we are all supposed to be doing the same job for the same money.
thevardinator
Posts: 165
Joined: 12 Apr 2010, 16:21
Gender: Male

Re: what time did you finish today

Post by thevardinator »

Today was the lightest Tuesday I've ever seen on mail, still normal on the packets. I had a gap of 10 houses on one road and 3 letters for a block of 20 flats.
STAND TOGETHER IN THE FIGHT.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72773
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: what time did you finish today

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

singingpostman wrote:
OnAFlyer wrote:
smelly_cat_lady wrote:Same as TBT, no matter what day, on time. Without fail, I work the hours I get paid for......no more...no less
Can I ask how you make Monday and Tuesday last as long as Thursday and Friday?
Probably the same as our office working longs and shorts, Mon medium length, Tues and Sat short length, Wed Thurs Fri long length.

Can never fathom why this company has so many different attendance patterns across the country when we are all supposed to be doing the same job for the same money.
Got it in one and if I have time to absorb including travel out and in and then out again I will do so.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
mclovin
Posts: 1106
Joined: 11 Feb 2009, 18:39
Gender: Male

Re: what time did you finish today

Post by mclovin »

Very very light today.

At one point I missed 6 three storey blocks of flats in a row.

Finished 11.15.
not me
Posts: 2735
Joined: 10 Aug 2007, 15:07
Gender: Female
Location: Uranus

Re: what time did you finish today

Post by not me »

OnAFlyer wrote:
smelly_cat_lady wrote:Same as TBT, no matter what day, on time. Without fail, I work the hours I get paid for......no more...no less
Can I ask how you make Monday and Tuesday last as long as Thursday and Friday?

in our office we have duties that fail/go over on all but the quietest days
so on the likes of a Monday/Tuesday they will be catching up with packets(park & loop) and still lapsing
still required to return to the office
so thats 40 minutes of travel for a start
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: what time did you finish today

Post by dvbuk55 »

custard wrote:
OnAFlyer wrote:
smelly_cat_lady wrote:Same as TBT, no matter what day, on time. Without fail, I work the hours I get paid for......no more...no less
Can I ask how you make Monday and Tuesday last as long as Thursday and Friday?

in our office we have duties that fail/go over on all but the quietest days
so on the likes of a Monday/Tuesday they will be catching up with packets(park & loop) and still lapsing
still required to return to the office
so thats 40 minutes of travel for a start
Well there you are then your office is in for a treat when the lowest traffic figure is classed as the norm :crazy:
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1923
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
Gender: Male

Re: what time did you finish today

Post by IloveMYredTROLLEY! »

In at 0930, to find:-
~6" of mail still to be put in frame
A full sack of packets by frame
~45 packets in total for my walk, 6 specials and 10 recorded, all needing backfacing of letters... With ~6 missorted packets in the sack, dumped by IPS!
20% D2D still to be put in frame (97 calls)
Redirections still to be done
~50 deads to be cleared

Left depot at 1040. Had to leave my normal first section until end of walk to make specials deadline

Saw my prepper cycling home at 1230, which meant they left depot just after 1220, when I was just over half way around having taken meal relief! :Boo hoo!

With 20 minute meal relief, finished at 1500.
london sub
Posts: 397
Joined: 29 Jan 2009, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: what time did you finish today

Post by london sub »

Something has baffled me for a while, and its the full time staff having longs and short days. While the part time staff do not have this, part time staff have a 14:00 finish time while the full timers have a 14:45 finish time, this is on longer days. Shorter days on the other hand are 13:30 for full time and 14:00 for part time.

What bothers me is when my dom asks me to take my summer lapsing i refuse on the busy days (thu and fri). He probably thinks i get paid till 14:45...or he probably wants it covered so as he doesn't have to do it. Shift patterns are a mess, and i am probably not the only office that has this dilemma.