ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

what time did you finish today

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
AnotherLimey
Posts: 751
Joined: 08 Aug 2009, 18:45
Gender: Male

Re: what time did you finish today

Post by AnotherLimey »

Sherpas Rule wrote:
custard wrote:
J Whiteside wrote:out at 8.00. finished at 11

ah for the days
i just dont understand how some offices can be out at 8am
we still have missorts to come in at around 9am

was done on the street for about 1pm
still had my 20 minutes to take
so finish 40 minutes early
I didnt return to the office or this would have taken 20+ minutes from that
thats as good as it gets nowadays
I was on the street for 7.35 today.
Good for you, what time did you start work with Royal mail? :left:
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1923
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
Gender: Male

Re: what time did you finish today

Post by IloveMYredTROLLEY! »

OnAFlyer wrote:
pickaname wrote:Surely 'hanging' it out' so you dont have to work for a living is just as bad as coming in early, ghosting or using private cars.

if i have time i do extra, if not i dont. I dont try and con anyone and instantly refuse just so i dont have to lapse.

Trying to con the business by dragging it out ala above post is pretty bad practice imho. Theres doing the job properly and theres being a sloath to get out of doing extra.

Working for a living is coming to an office near you soon. Beware all those who "do the job properly".
Wow, someone else that realises theres a big difference between 'doing the job properly' and taking the piss. Too many people don't see those differences though and think working to time regardless of workload is 'doing it properly'.
caught up on my deads (using ~20 minutes).
Dead mail should be killed off everyday, not left until you need to kill some time.
Lets get a few things straight here, I've written about my round many times on here, but here it is again for your benefit(s)...

I'm on a 22.5 hour written contract, which is all I get paid for during holiday time.
My walk, which covers the high street (~125 businesses) and 400 residential, which means on an AVERAGE DAY I get 5+ specials and 10+ recorded (I get the maximum 8 specails at least 3 times a week, upto ~15 recorded on a bad day). ON AVERAGE, this takes 4.5 hours per day just to deliver the mail, including my meal relief.
My hours have been verbally extended to 28.5 hours per week, with the extra time being for preping the round, starting at 0800 with exception of Tuesdays (0930) and Saturdays (0630).
Right of way has recently been called regularly around 0930 or even earlier, but there is no chance of this round being ready to take out by then, proportionally I get the most late missorts which arrive around 0915.
I do not have time to take a meal relief break befoe going out, there is simply too much to do and still get out by 1000, although on a Tuesday i do well to out by 1045.
Monday is my lightest day by a mile, probably much like your Saturdays. By taking out ~40% of D2D on a Monday, I am saving the managers more overtime on Thursdays and Fridays, not to mention equalising the weight and amount of mail I have to deliver (this round often takes nearly 5 hours to deliver and have mmeal relief towards the end of the business week).
On a normal 5-day week, I am completing my round everyday with a working week of around 33 hours.
This particular round has an awful history of being a headache for the area manager, as it should not be a part-timers round, or a full-timers round without being reduced in size. At least the last five posties on this round have either cut-off Weds-Fri inc. or taken longer than me to complete the whole round.
I cannot support my family on 22.5 hours a week, so I complete for almost a full-timers wage and the area manager appreciates not having the historical headache. Yes, I would love the better written contract, but is simply ain't going to happen anytime soon, so I take what I can and often do overtime on other rounds after completing my pig.
And the deads, well to put it bluntly, dealing with the deads would require another ~10 minutes overtime each day to always leave a spotless frame. I would love to leave it spotless, but my line manager prefers me to deal with them in batches as and when I can during the week, often resulting in batches on Mon/Tues/Sat when the shift is not an evil pig, just a an average one!
Everything I do has to be done by me or someone else in realtion to my frame. There is no "con" here at all. If there is, you better have a chat with my lino, as they approve of the weekly routine I have, as they know full well I am saving them ~90 minutes overtime a week by using my free-time earlier in the week actually doing work related tasks (shock horror)!

Now I don't have any idea of what you do personally, but I see some dreamland working principles at my depot most days...
Why am I seeing full-timers on their way back to the depot at 1230 when I've only just started the second half of my walk?
Why are they then being allowed to go and enjoy their afternoon ~15 minutes later and then be paid for doing so for the next 90 minutes? Instead of doing what happens in almost every other business in the country... Doing something constructive work-wize until their finish time! The days of "job and finish" are dead, but that does not mean that its right for full-timers to extract the urine daily by then dragging their own rounds and responsibilities out, when part-timers are arriving to half-prepped frames at 0930, because the "double-prepper" wants to be ready for "right of way" and then be paid for enjoying "work time" at home and being paid for it? Now that D2D is not directly supplemented, these early finishers should be taking ~20 minutes per frame to prep a part-timers next day D2D, at the very least. So they have time to prep at least three (yes, 3) frames each! But you've more chance of winning the lottery than seeing these early finishers putting a single D2D in someone elses frame...

In summary, you are aiming "con" at the wrong crowd, my friend, in most cases...
pickaname
Posts: 1467
Joined: 11 Sep 2007, 20:24

Re: what time did you finish today

Post by pickaname »

Sherpas Rule wrote:
custard wrote:
J Whiteside wrote:out at 8.00. finished at 11

ah for the days
i just dont understand how some offices can be out at 8am
we still have missorts to come in at around 9am

was done on the street for about 1pm
still had my 20 minutes to take
so finish 40 minutes early
I didnt return to the office or this would have taken 20+ minutes from that
thats as good as it gets nowadays
I was on the street for 7.35 today.
well you should be back doing extra work then. CWU recently stated we are now all on the same payscale so if youre on the street at 730, with a 3.5hr delivery you should be back at 11am and doing some extra.

Either that or RM introduce clocking in machines and you can finish whatever time you want only you will only get paid for the hours you work.
Then we'll see who finishes early!
smelly_cat_lady
Posts: 341
Joined: 22 Nov 2009, 15:08
Gender: Female
Location: On the delivery office floor looking up shorts

Re: what time did you finish today

Post by smelly_cat_lady »

Same as TBT, no matter what day, on time. Without fail, I work the hours I get paid for......no more...no less
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: what time did you finish today

Post by krussel »

Out the office at 8.40am. Got back 13.15. It was more than enough in the heat :neutral:
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: what time did you finish today

Post by dvbuk55 »

Sherpas Rule wrote:
custard wrote:
J Whiteside wrote:out at 8.00. finished at 11

ah for the days
i just dont understand how some offices can be out at 8am
we still have missorts to come in at around 9am

was done on the street for about 1pm
still had my 20 minutes to take
so finish 40 minutes early
I didnt return to the office or this would have taken 20+ minutes from that
thats as good as it gets nowadays
I was on the street for 7.35 today.

50% of our staff hadn't even started work at 7.45!
Thorby Bislam
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 495
Joined: 04 Jan 2008, 20:45
Gender: Male
Location: Desolation Row

Re: what time did you finish today

Post by Thorby Bislam »

Not too bad on incoming mail but I had a full perstop tray of Mailsort left from Saturday. Out at 9:45. Did my lapsing. Completed the walk. finished at 14:30. So half hour OT which means starting half hour later tomorrow as you cant book it. Would have finished on time but for the lapsing. Usual aggravation expected tomorrow AM.
Just spilt stain-remover down my shirt. Now how do I get that out?
jessiegirl
Posts: 22
Joined: 12 Jun 2010, 07:43
Gender: Female

Re: what time did you finish today

Post by jessiegirl »

finished today at around 12:15

havnt finished that early in ages!!!
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: what time did you finish today

Post by dvbuk55 »

Do you know something Ilovemytrolley, if you had a delivery like yours and your colleagues were going home 90 minutes early, in our office your duty would be lapsed and all those going home early would be doing 90 minutes of your delivery each, now that begs the question, would you have a job?
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1923
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
Gender: Male

Re: what time did you finish today

Post by IloveMYredTROLLEY! »

dvbuk55 wrote:Do you know something Ilovemytrolley, if you had a delivery like yours and your colleagues were going home 90 minutes early, in our office your duty would be lapsed and all those going home early would be doing 90 minutes of your delivery each, now that begs the question, would you have a job?
Yes I would, as this is my second walk since I started in November last year. I simply would be on a different walk since the re-sign that happened back in mid-March. I believe there are now at least 10 part-timers who started working at our depot after me, so perhaps one of them might not have a job :wink:
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: what time did you finish today

Post by fishtank »

Thorby Bislam wrote:Not too bad on incoming mail but I had a full perstop tray of Mailsort left from Saturday. Out at 9:45. Did my lapsing. Completed the walk. finished at 14:30. So half hour OT which means starting half hour later tomorrow as you cant book it. Would have finished on time but for the lapsing. Usual aggravation expected tomorrow AM.

Your post worries me for many reasons Thorby Bislam. :sad:
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
Nobodyshero
Posts: 83
Joined: 16 Mar 2010, 13:44
Gender: Male

Re: what time did you finish today

Post by Nobodyshero »

Started at 6am out of office at 9.10am last letter posted at about 12pm
not me
Posts: 2735
Joined: 10 Aug 2007, 15:07
Gender: Female
Location: Uranus

Re: what time did you finish today

Post by not me »

Thorby Bislam wrote:Not too bad on incoming mail but I had a full perstop tray of Mailsort left from Saturday. Out at 9:45. Did my lapsing. Completed the walk. finished at 14:30. So half hour OT which means starting half hour later tomorrow as you cant book it. Would have finished on time but for the lapsing. Usual aggravation expected tomorrow AM.

okay lets look at this
why are you lapsing if you are over your time
why are you going over your time if they wont pay you docket?
30 minutes over your time.had you taken all your breaks?
if they wont pay you OT(or you dont want to do it) then tell them
they make you lapse because they know you will work over
Mr Blonde
Posts: 337
Joined: 23 May 2007, 20:44

Re: what time did you finish today

Post by Mr Blonde »

Thorby Bislam wrote:Not too bad on incoming mail but I had a full perstop tray of Mailsort left from Saturday. Out at 9:45. Did my lapsing. Completed the walk. finished at 14:30. So half hour OT which means starting half hour later tomorrow as you cant book it. Would have finished on time but for the lapsing. Usual aggravation expected tomorrow AM.
We haven't had much mailsort on a saturday for a while now, just a token amount AND if we are leaving it then we have to throw it off.
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: what time did you finish today

Post by krussel »

Mr Blonde wrote:
Thorby Bislam wrote:Not too bad on incoming mail but I had a full perstop tray of Mailsort left from Saturday. Out at 9:45. Did my lapsing. Completed the walk. finished at 14:30. So half hour OT which means starting half hour later tomorrow as you cant book it. Would have finished on time but for the lapsing. Usual aggravation expected tomorrow AM.
We haven't had much mailsort on a saturday for a while now, just a token amount AND if we are leaving it then we have to throw it off.

Same here as i prob only get a couple of handfulls now on a sat. Its the DSA which kills sats these days.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........