ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Menu of duty options, Wheres wallington?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Steviea34
Posts: 474
Joined: 10 Apr 2009, 10:44
Gender: Male

Re: Menu of duty options, Wheres wallington?

Post by Steviea34 »

dvbuk55 wrote:
andy2007 wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
POSTMAN wrote:dv,make your mind up mate,on one hand we've the streets of gold with 10hr days and less than 3hr walks,the next,we're going to chat ourselves out of a job. :d'oh!
Wanna transfer? :wink:
Good god no - I'd only be able to afford a Wickes shed in your back garden - the sort of wages we're on in the North would hardly pay for a 2nd class rail ticket - a car is out of the question. :no no

In any case I'd soon get bored on a 10 hour shift and nothing to do :whistle :angel
If you transfered to London, you'd get the same money as Postman, so that's hardly a valid argument. And if you're worried about not having enough work to do, you could always volunteer for absorbtion. :chuckle

So it really comes down to a simple question now: Do you have Family ties, which would make life too difficult moving to London. Or are you afraid of being proved wrong? :hmmmm :chuckle
Of course I have family ties, children, grandchildren, two sheds, wife - but most of all my beloved collie dog - he would miss the lakes and rivers and greenery and would be blinded by the sun glinting off the pavement.

As for the money - I mean I haven't the stamina to be working 2 days on SA - even on a 1 and a half hour delivery - so the extra money for living somewhere that is so expensive - I'll bet a £1 lottery ticket is miles more expensive there and a £4.49 MacDonalds - could be as much as £4.50.
OOH YOUR SUCH A CYNIC :funneh :funneh
andy2007
Posts: 3971
Joined: 14 Sep 2007, 10:16
Gender: Male
Location: Earth

Re: Menu of duty options, Wheres wallington?

Post by andy2007 »

No, it's just the accomodation costs that are higher in London. The normal living costs are about the same.

You can get a nice 4 bed detatched house, where I live. For what it costs for a small 2 bed flat near the centre of London. Which means you need a bigger mortgage, or pay higher rent, to live there. That's what the suppliment is for.

Sorry if I caused you any offence with my previous post.
Don't knock Insanity
it's just another outlook on Reality!
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Menu of duty options, Wheres wallington?

Post by dvbuk55 »

andy2007 wrote:No, it's just the accomodation costs that are higher in London. The normal living costs are about the same.

You can get a nice 4 bed detatched house, where I live. For what it costs for a small 2 bed flat near the centre of London. Which means you need a bigger mortgage, or pay higher rent, to live there. That's what the suppliment is for.

Sorry if I caused you any offence with my previous post.
Don't be daft Andy - I never take offence at any post - I give and I expect to receive - most of my posts are tongue in cheek to see who's going to bite and some do...........................

My brother actually lives near Windsor and his house though no larger than mine is probably worth twice as much - maybe 400 to 450k ? which is a 4 bed detached as it happens - so I am not totally "out of the picture" so to speak :chuckle
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32819
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Menu of duty options, Wheres wallington?

Post by POSTMAN »

Kinda childish dv with your 'i'll post and see who bites' attitude,some of your crap could do more harm than good.
Use the canteen forum to play games eh.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Menu of duty options, Wheres wallington?

Post by dvbuk55 »

POSTMAN wrote:Kinda childish dv with your 'i'll post and see who bites' attitude,some of your crap could do more harm than good.
Use the canteen forum to play games eh.
Whatever :cuppa
Haitch P
Posts: 38
Joined: 26 May 2010, 17:20
Gender: Male

Re: Menu of duty options, Wheres wallington?

Post by Haitch P »

andy2007 wrote:No, it's just the accomodation costs that are higher in London. The normal living costs are about the same.

You can get a nice 4 bed detatched house, where I live. For what it costs for a small 2 bed flat near the centre of London. Which means you need a bigger mortgage, or pay higher rent, to live there. That's what the suppliment is for.

Sorry if I caused you any offence with my previous post.
For goodness sake why are some people so jealous and bitter about the London posties receiving London Waiting?

The whole point of this allowance and the RRIS supplement (which we get) is to stop the high turnover of staff these offices have.

You could say it's a case of market forces (supply & demand). Few people want to be posties in London whereas in other parts of the country the opposite is true. :cuppa
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Menu of duty options, Wheres wallington?

Post by dvbuk55 »

Haitch P wrote:
andy2007 wrote:No, it's just the accomodation costs that are higher in London. The normal living costs are about the same.

You can get a nice 4 bed detatched house, where I live. For what it costs for a small 2 bed flat near the centre of London. Which means you need a bigger mortgage, or pay higher rent, to live there. That's what the suppliment is for.

Sorry if I caused you any offence with my previous post.
For goodness sake why are some people so jealous and bitter about the London posties receiving London Waiting?

The whole point of this allowance and the RRIS supplement (which we get) is to stop the high turnover of staff these offices have.

You could say it's a case of market forces (supply & demand). Few people want to be posties in London whereas in other parts of the country the opposite is true. :cuppa
Wonder how true that will be once unemployment starts to rise - and with a 10 hour day and a 2.5hr delivery I'm surprised they're not flocking in from all over the world..............................
andy2007
Posts: 3971
Joined: 14 Sep 2007, 10:16
Gender: Male
Location: Earth

Re: Menu of duty options, Wheres wallington?

Post by andy2007 »

Jimmy Carr`s laugh wrote:Fair play to them I say - this coming from a person paying £1600 a month Mortgage in Preston :Boo hoo!
WOW! I didn't know prices were that bad there! :shock: I thought it was just London that had ludicrous prices. I pay about a quarter of that for a 2 bed semi!
Don't knock Insanity
it's just another outlook on Reality!
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Menu of duty options, Wheres wallington?

Post by dvbuk55 »

andy2007 wrote:
Jimmy Carr`s laugh wrote:Fair play to them I say - this coming from a person paying £1600 a month Mortgage in Preston :Boo hoo!
WOW! I didn't know prices were that bad there! :shock: I thought it was just London that had ludicrous prices. I pay about a quarter of that for a 2 bed semi!
Ah you see Andy we are quite posh in the North West - Jimmy must live in a moated castle paying that sort of money, I just hope I'm not paying for his duck house on his lake. He is a postman isn't he? I mean £1600 a month is £400 a week - I'll just bet he lives in the expensive suburbs.
Haitch P
Posts: 38
Joined: 26 May 2010, 17:20
Gender: Male

Re: Menu of duty options, Wheres wallington?

Post by Haitch P »

andy2007 wrote:
Jimmy Carr`s laugh wrote:Fair play to them I say - this coming from a person paying £1600 a month Mortgage in Preston :Boo hoo!
WOW! I didn't know prices were that bad there! :shock: I thought it was just London that had ludicrous prices. I pay about a quarter of that for a 2 bed semi!
He must live in a 5 bedroomed house on the posh side of town!

Do a search on http://www.findaproperty.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and see how cheap prices are up there! £20000, £30000 come on! There's no such thing as a £20000 house down here. Not even on the sh*ttiest side of town!
andy2007
Posts: 3971
Joined: 14 Sep 2007, 10:16
Gender: Male
Location: Earth

Re: Menu of duty options, Wheres wallington?

Post by andy2007 »

20 to 30 grand for a house?
That's good. You couldn't buy a house in the worst part of my area for less than 40 grand. In the better estates (a couple of miles from me) you can pay 80 grand for a semi-detatched.

And I also live in the north of England.
Don't knock Insanity
it's just another outlook on Reality!
Haitch P
Posts: 38
Joined: 26 May 2010, 17:20
Gender: Male

Re: Menu of duty options, Wheres wallington?

Post by Haitch P »

They look like they're condemed? But there are more reasonable ones in the £50,000 range.

http://www.findaproperty.com/searchresu ... reaid=2541" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BELIAL
Posts: 6758
Joined: 15 Jun 2007, 17:33
Gender: Female
Location: Nowhere

Re: Menu of duty options, Wheres wallington?

Post by BELIAL »

Jimmy Carr`s laugh wrote:Fair play to them I say - this coming from a person paying £1600 a month Mortgage in Preston :Boo hoo!
Sell up .buy 3 acres and a tent ;grow your food and fuel and kiss the s**t face rat arses goodbye :Very Happy There's 7.2 million of us now, according to official stats. One life ,your rules :Very Happy
Bye
andy2007
Posts: 3971
Joined: 14 Sep 2007, 10:16
Gender: Male
Location: Earth

Re: Menu of duty options, Wheres wallington?

Post by andy2007 »

A tent wouldn't be very practical in the winter. But I suppose a decent static caravan would be a better idea. So long as there aren't too many problems with planning permission (if it's neccessary).
Don't knock Insanity
it's just another outlook on Reality!