ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Out on my own tomorrow!

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Out on my own tomorrow!

Post by fishtank »

J Whiteside wrote:
fishtank wrote:
J Whiteside wrote: usually im finished earlier than 1pm but il have to bare that in mind. btw can you put the stickers for the items before you go out or do you have to wait to make sure they're at the door?
Technically no,you're supposed to take them off at the door to make sure the customer signs against the correct barcode but most of the walking men put them on in the office.
As long as you check the number matches before you get the customer to sign for it,it's not a problem.
whats the correct barcode ? is that why there's two barcodes on the sticker? my coach wrote the code on the slip instead of putting the sticker on if there was no one in
No the two should match,i just meant that if you put the stickers on in the office sometimes the customer in their wisdom :roll: will sign opposite the wrong sticker.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
wiganpostie
Posts: 670
Joined: 09 Mar 2010, 20:16
Gender: Male

Re: Out on my own tomorrow!

Post by wiganpostie »

fishtank wrote:
J Whiteside wrote:
fishtank wrote:
J Whiteside wrote: usually im finished earlier than 1pm but il have to bare that in mind. btw can you put the stickers for the items before you go out or do you have to wait to make sure they're at the door?
Technically no,you're supposed to take them off at the door to make sure the customer signs against the correct barcode but most of the walking men put them on in the office.
As long as you check the number matches before you get the customer to sign for it,it's not a problem.
whats the correct barcode ? is that why there's two barcodes on the sticker? my coach wrote the code on the slip instead of putting the sticker on if there was no one in
No the two should match,i just meant that if you put the stickers on in the office sometimes the customer in their wisdom :roll: will sign opposite the wrong sticker.
Amen to that:

Customer: Where do i sign?
Me: Next to number 2, please.
* Customer signs next to number 6*
SF
Posts: 183
Joined: 12 Nov 2009, 23:30
Gender: Male
Location: Midlands.

Re: Out on my own tomorrow!

Post by SF »

Stupid question: How much do you guys normally go out with in the petrol tank before a delivery? In other words, how much is enough to complete?
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32819
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Out on my own tomorrow!

Post by POSTMAN »

SF wrote:Stupid question: How much do you guys normally go out with in the petrol tank before a delivery? In other words, how much is enough to complete?
Rule of thumb is when the tank gets to a 1/4 you derve up.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Out on my own tomorrow!

Post by krussel »

SF wrote:Stupid question: How much do you guys normally go out with in the petrol tank before a delivery? In other words, how much is enough to complete?

Buddy its Diesel :nana

You need to start calling it that from the start as you will do what many have done before you and put a tank of un-leaded in. :left: :nervous

:Very Happy :Very Happy :Very Happy :Very Happy
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Out on my own tomorrow!

Post by fishtank »

And while your on the subject of vans,never lay the keys down in the back of the van while you fish out a packet...they will still be there when you've shut the back door,delivered the packet and are searching fruitlessly through your pockets feeling like a.....

Image
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
deekin
Posts: 34
Joined: 25 May 2010, 15:11
Gender: Male

Re: Out on my own tomorrow!

Post by deekin »

OK, well my first day out alone went okay. I got back to the office at 4 (this was about an hour later than what I got back on my training days last week with the guy who came along with me). I made use of maps and got there eventually.
I took a few letters back to the sorting office. These letters were for places I either couldn't find, couldn't find a mailbox or letterbox for, or just confused me. The other post workers had long gone home, so I will see how much they tell me off for that tomorrow. Oh, and I got a bit told off for not putting some kind of sticker on the undelivered parcels.
Now I am enjoying my day off and google mapping the bits I could not find yesterday/
hampshireman
Posts: 792
Joined: 18 Dec 2009, 15:17
Gender: Male

Re: Out on my own tomorrow!

Post by hampshireman »

deekin wrote:OK, well my first day out alone went okay. I got back to the office at 4 (this was about an hour later than what I got back on my training days last week with the guy who came along with me). I made use of maps and got there eventually.
I took a few letters back to the sorting office. These letters were for places I either couldn't find, couldn't find a mailbox or letterbox for, or just confused me. The other post workers had long gone home, so I will see how much they tell me off for that tomorrow. Oh, and I got a bit told off for not putting some kind of sticker on the undelivered parcels.
Now I am enjoying my day off and google mapping the bits I could not find yesterday/
Well done. Not a bad first day at all.

Some places you just can't find... or the letter box , flap , whatever is in an obscure place. Not a problem. Just ask someone that has done (or does ) the Walk where these 'hidden places are ... and bingo!... You'll have forgotten by the time yopu next get back there.

But you will pick these anomalies up in the end.

Even the 'experienced' can have trouble. A week or so ago I got switched off my float to cover a sickness. Not a problem as I know the round really well.

Get to XYZ house and the letterbox has gone . Spent a couple of minutes wandering around. Then took the mail back....Found out next day that ....'just put the mail under the mat'


Enjoy
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Out on my own tomorrow!

Post by krussel »

deekin wrote:OK, well my first day out alone went okay
Sounds like youve done well :Applause

The first time out is always the hardest getting hot under the collar etc. You will find the time gets quicker as the week goes on. :Very Happy
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........