ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
And another Saturday night debate?
-
somerset
- Posts: 582
- Joined: 08 Jun 2007, 16:23
And another Saturday night debate?
Heard last week that there is going to be a naitional ban from Royal Mail on giving dogs biscuits . Due to the fact that regular postie gives them a biscuit but floater doesn,t ! So dog may attack him if not given a biscuit ? So what do you think ?
-
Stormproof
- Posts: 6116
- Joined: 07 Jul 2007, 21:03
- Gender: Female
Re: And another Saturday night debate?
I don't have a problem with giving dogs biscuits as long as the duty holder lets the reserve know and RM supply the biscuits, perhaps they can get Winalot to sponsor it.
So keep on moving, moving, moving your feet
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets
Illegitimi non carborundum
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets
Illegitimi non carborundum
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: And another Saturday night debate?
No, as a regular postman I don't give dogs biscuits, but then get pestered by the dogs the day after a floater has done.somerset wrote:Heard last week that there is going to be a naitional ban from Royal Mail on giving dogs biscuits . Due to the fact that regular postie gives them a biscuit but floater doesn,t ! So dog may attack him if not given a biscuit ? So what do you think ?
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72773
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: And another Saturday night debate?
good ideasomerset wrote:Heard last week that there is going to be a naitional ban from Royal Mail on giving dogs biscuits . Due to the fact that regular postie gives them a biscuit but floater doesn,t ! So dog may attack him if not given a biscuit ? So what do you think ?
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
Re: And another Saturday night debate?
I always keep some in the door pocket on the van and a couple in my pocket going round, saved me many a time. I would have thought it unlikley that a dog who is already friendly with the postman would bite just because there is no treat offered. 
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
-
smelly_cat_lady
- Posts: 341
- Joined: 22 Nov 2009, 15:08
- Gender: Female
- Location: On the delivery office floor looking up shorts
Re: And another Saturday night debate?
If someone has a different position to you please respect their right to have differing views, and enjoy yourself when picking holes in their position in a constructive way. We would much rather have a long winded well thought out argument, picking out weak points in someone's position, than have a thread full of 1 line insults.
Moderated by TrueBlueTerrier - saying someone is a bigger idiot than you thought breaks the above rule.
This is the last friendly warning as TBH your aggressive posts are getting boring - please debate do not insult or formal warnings or worse will follow
Moderated by TrueBlueTerrier - saying someone is a bigger idiot than you thought breaks the above rule.
This is the last friendly warning as TBH your aggressive posts are getting boring - please debate do not insult or formal warnings or worse will follow
Last edited by TrueBlueTerrier on 04 Jul 2010, 09:59, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Rule Breaking
Reason: Rule Breaking
-
smelly_cat_lady
- Posts: 341
- Joined: 22 Nov 2009, 15:08
- Gender: Female
- Location: On the delivery office floor looking up shorts
Re: And another Saturday night debate?
Apologies, I'm so sorry for being naughty and I have read the rules now
I just don't understand why you would purchase food for some one else's animal from your own pocket (reduced somewhat) and then get upset when there is a ban? I don't know much about doggies but I try not to put the hands that earn my living too close to their mouths (and that includes fellow postmen) Surely Royal Mail are only trying to protect your health and safety in doing such a 'ban' as they clearly place so much emphasis on it these days. When you do your shopping in the supermarket you don't buy a cake for the person on the till do you? So whats the difference?
I just don't understand why you would purchase food for some one else's animal from your own pocket (reduced somewhat) and then get upset when there is a ban? I don't know much about doggies but I try not to put the hands that earn my living too close to their mouths (and that includes fellow postmen) Surely Royal Mail are only trying to protect your health and safety in doing such a 'ban' as they clearly place so much emphasis on it these days. When you do your shopping in the supermarket you don't buy a cake for the person on the till do you? So whats the difference?
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72773
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: And another Saturday night debate?
Perfect thanks 
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Pegman
- Posts: 373
- Joined: 27 Aug 2009, 22:41
- Gender: Male
- Location: The Deep South
Re: And another Saturday night debate?
That depends on whether or not you believe in RAK ( Random acts of kindness) or not.smelly_cat_lady wrote:Apologies, I'm so sorry for being naughty and I have read the rules now![]()
I just don't understand why you would purchase food for some one else's animal from your own pocket (reduced somewhat) and then get upset when there is a ban? I don't know much about doggies but I try not to put the hands that earn my living too close to their mouths (and that includes fellow postmen) Surely Royal Mail are only trying to protect your health and safety in doing such a 'ban' as they clearly place so much emphasis on it these days. When you do your shopping in the supermarket you don't buy a cake for the person on the till do you? So whats the difference?
All I know is that a lot of my tips last Xmas came from people who had dogs, and who had been given a biscuit when I called. People see it as an act of generosity and tend to reciprocate in the same way.
I always leave the biscuits in my van so any relief has them to hand if he wishes to give them out.
http://www.onlyoneunited.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
100% United, 100% Unofficial
100% United, 100% Unofficial
-
BELIAL
- Posts: 6758
- Joined: 15 Jun 2007, 17:33
- Gender: Female
- Location: Nowhere
Re: And another Saturday night debate?
I only ever got peanutsHeard last week that there is going to be a naitional ban from Royal Mail on giving dogs biscuits .
Bye
-
somerset
- Posts: 582
- Joined: 08 Jun 2007, 16:23
Re: And another Saturday night debate?
[quote="smelly_cat_lady"]: )and then get upset when there is a ban?
Smelly cat ? Where have i said that i am upset ? I am a dog owner. And i like dogs. A mans best friend ! I have seen grown up people cry when there dog has died .I shall continue to give the dogs a biscuit ( 80 pence for a pack of rich tea biscuits ) SOD any BAN !!
Smelly cat ? Where have i said that i am upset ? I am a dog owner. And i like dogs. A mans best friend ! I have seen grown up people cry when there dog has died .I shall continue to give the dogs a biscuit ( 80 pence for a pack of rich tea biscuits ) SOD any BAN !!
-
smelly_cat_lady
- Posts: 341
- Joined: 22 Nov 2009, 15:08
- Gender: Female
- Location: On the delivery office floor looking up shorts
Re: And another Saturday night debate?
What about this for a RAK.................share the 80p biscuits amongst your colleagues ?
-
brothermagrew
- Posts: 3015
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 16:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: Shares a border with England to the south.
Re: And another Saturday night debate?
As far as I know there has never ever been an official Royal Mail national policy on postmen and postwomen giving dog biscuits as treats for dogs on their rounds, so that in turn would beg the question how can they officially ban something that has never ever been put in place and agreed to by the CWU. Would however, have be very enlightening if you revealed your source of information.somerset wrote:Heard last week that there is going to be a naitional ban from Royal Mail on giving dogs biscuits . Due to the fact that regular postie gives them a biscuit but floater doesn,t ! So dog may attack him if not given a biscuit ? So what do you think ?
The simple truth is that dog owners should always ensure their pet is under control and is in no position to harm either a postman or a passer-by at all times and by doing that there would be no need for at least postmen or postwomen in a bid to ensure their safety on the round by offering the dog biscuits, bones or chews in the first place.
"Today’s workplace has become heartless and soulless. Employees are seen as units of labour, automatons, functionaries, objects for achieving designated tasks, and as costs to be minimised."
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: And another Saturday night debate?
Of course there can ban something on which there has never ever previously been an official Royal Mail national policy .brothermagrew wrote:As far as I know there has never ever been an official Royal Mail national policy on postmen and postwomen giving dog biscuits as treats for dogs on their rounds, so that in turn would beg the question how can they officially ban something that has never ever been put in place and agreed to by the CWU. Would however, have be very enlightening if you revealed your source of information.somerset wrote:Heard last week that there is going to be a naitional ban from Royal Mail on giving dogs biscuits . Due to the fact that regular postie gives them a biscuit but floater doesn,t ! So dog may attack him if not given a biscuit ? So what do you think ?
The simple truth is that dog owners should always ensure their pet is under control and is in no position to harm either a postman or a passer-by at all times and by doing that there would be no need for at least postmen or postwomen in a bid to ensure their safety on the round by offering the dog biscuits, bones or chews in the first place.
They do it all the time.
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: And another Saturday night debate?
My best friend is my dog. He is a Welsh Border Collie, more intelligent than most managers, obeys my every command without question and is more affectionate than my wife. My previous dog was also a Border Collie and was 14 when I had to have him put to sleep quite suddenly.