Do the "cage" staff know the value of each special? If this 5 limit is for real, it sounds like I could be being taken for a ride, as my round has regular specials for jewellers and a bank!dvbuk55 wrote:Watchcote wrote:NOT acceptable!Straight4ward wrote:No, not a driver. I was doing our local High Street. Took all the recordeds, along with the mail to start. Then did the specials in three bites as it were.
I have often argued that it's unsafe but it falls on deaf ears.![]()
See your union rep! 8 is the max on foot...don't be fobbed off and don't try to be the hero by doing it! You will be the one who carries the can!
And it's only 8 if they are not High Value, which are nominated, definitely banks and perhaps jewellers - then it is only 5 on foot, there is also a weekly limit but I don't think any one sticks to that.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Most signed for items on a 3.5 hour delivery,,?
-
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1923
- Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
- Gender: Male
Re: Most signed for items on a 3.5 hour delivery,,?
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Most signed for items on a 3.5 hour delivery,,?
I am an RLE OPG and I can assure you that those figures I quoted ARE the official figures and have NOT to my knowledge been changed. I would never issue more than 8 to a walk and I believe that a vehicle should carry no more than 35 in a secure box and I will admit to exceeding that figure though not in recent timesIloveMYredTROLLEY! wrote:Do the "cage" staff know the value of each special? If this 5 limit is for real, it sounds like I could be being taken for a ride, as my round has regular specials for jewellers and a bank!dvbuk55 wrote:Watchcote wrote:NOT acceptable!Straight4ward wrote:No, not a driver. I was doing our local High Street. Took all the recordeds, along with the mail to start. Then did the specials in three bites as it were.
I have often argued that it's unsafe but it falls on deaf ears.![]()
See your union rep! 8 is the max on foot...don't be fobbed off and don't try to be the hero by doing it! You will be the one who carries the can!
And it's only 8 if they are not High Value, which are nominated, definitely banks and perhaps jewellers - then it is only 5 on foot, there is also a weekly limit but I don't think any one sticks to that.
-
bigcol
- Posts: 404
- Joined: 21 Jun 2010, 13:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: Officially the worst DO
Re: Most signed for items on a 3.5 hour delivery,,?
Just out of interest, none of our vehicles has a secure box; most don't have a partition. What difference does this make?dvbuk55 wrote:I am an RLE OPG and I can assure you that those figures I quoted ARE the official figures and have NOT to my knowledge been changed. I would never issue more than 8 to a walk and I believe that a vehicle should carry no more than 35 in a secure box and I will admit to exceeding that figure though not in recent times
-
shepherdess
- Posts: 445
- Joined: 08 Jul 2009, 16:16
- Gender: Female
Re: Most signed for items on a 3.5 hour delivery,,?
135 recorded delivery items started at 9 am finished at 445 just claimed docket
-
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1923
- Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
- Gender: Male
Re: Most signed for items on a 3.5 hour delivery,,?
And just what is that supposed to mean? I don't know you from Jack, I'm sure the reverse is true, so instead of coming out with a blanket statement like that...bigcol wrote:Try growing a pair.IloveMYredTROLLEY! wrote:30-35 hour paid working week, with a whopping 22.5 hour pay for holidays, how fair!![]()
Try posting something constructive.
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Most signed for items on a 3.5 hour delivery,,?
dvbuk55 wrote: I am an RLE OPG and I can assure you that those figures I quoted ARE the official figures and have NOT to my knowledge been changed. I would never issue more than 8 to a walk and I believe that a vehicle should carry no more than 35 in a secure box and I will admit to exceeding that figure though not in recent times
http://www.cwu.org/uploads/documents/HS ... e-Reps.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;(A maximum of 8 Special Delivery (SD) individual items per walk may be carried each day,
of which no more than 3 may be higher value SD items, a maximum of 48 SD individual
items per walk each week of which no more than 18 may be higher value SD items. Walks
exceeding this standard number of items per week must to be Risk Assessed to determine
the appropriate method of delivery and whether it needs to be motorised. Ideally collection
and deliveries in town centre areas should be motorised.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
bigcol
- Posts: 404
- Joined: 21 Jun 2010, 13:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: Officially the worst DO
Re: Most signed for items on a 3.5 hour delivery,,?
Don't do it.IloveMYredTROLLEY! wrote:And just what is that supposed to mean? I don't know you from Jack, I'm sure the reverse is true, so instead of coming out with a blanket statement like that...bigcol wrote:Try growing a pair.IloveMYredTROLLEY! wrote:30-35 hour paid working week, with a whopping 22.5 hour pay for holidays, how fair!![]()
Try posting something constructive.
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Most signed for items on a 3.5 hour delivery,,?
Thanks for that ft, the 5 figure is construed by NOT issuing more than 3 potential high value properties with 2 lower value and I am sure there is a list of what is classed as high value properties.fishtank wrote:dvbuk55 wrote: I am an RLE OPG and I can assure you that those figures I quoted ARE the official figures and have NOT to my knowledge been changed. I would never issue more than 8 to a walk and I believe that a vehicle should carry no more than 35 in a secure box and I will admit to exceeding that figure though not in recent timeshttp://www.cwu.org/uploads/documents/HS ... e-Reps.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;(A maximum of 8 Special Delivery (SD) individual items per walk may be carried each day,
of which no more than 3 may be higher value SD items, a maximum of 48 SD individual
items per walk each week of which no more than 18 may be higher value SD items. Walks
exceeding this standard number of items per week must to be Risk Assessed to determine
the appropriate method of delivery and whether it needs to be motorised. Ideally collection
and deliveries in town centre areas should be motorised.
The situation occurs more especially at xmas when the vouchers from xmas clubs are sent out and then I would issue no more than 3 per walk and would more often than not give them to a driver.
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Most signed for items on a 3.5 hour delivery,,?
dvbuk55 wrote: The situation occurs more especially at xmas when the vouchers from xmas clubs are sent out and then I would issue no more than 3 per walk and would more often than not give them to a driver.
The Christmas club vouchers are a real problem as the entire street usually knows they are coming.
I was informed by a customer one year AFTER i had delivered some that i had been carrying £12,000 worth of vouchers.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1923
- Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
- Gender: Male
Re: Most signed for items on a 3.5 hour delivery,,?
What, as in refuse to accept that the walk hours are realistic? Like a lot of things that have happened in the last seven months since becoming a postie, part-timers aren't kept in the dark, its more like a black hole!bigcol wrote:Don't do it.IloveMYredTROLLEY! wrote:And just what is that supposed to mean? I don't know you from Jack, I'm sure the reverse is true, so instead of coming out with a blanket statement like that...bigcol wrote:Try growing a pair.IloveMYredTROLLEY! wrote:30-35 hour paid working week, with a whopping 22.5 hour pay for holidays, how fair!![]()
Try posting something constructive.
I've no idea how I could have the walk properly evaluated without risking either short-term or long-term agro from the middle manager (boss to area mangers in depot, answers to DOM) who loves spreading misinformation about work requirements almost every time he speaks about work and not football.
Even if I could get the walk evaluated, I half expect that I would be repremanded for soemthing or other I do "wrong" while on the walk. Proper training has been nothing short of pathetic since I joined. I find it an absolute joke that each area does not have several established staff who ensure a national standard in training new recruits, in exchange for a supplement and Royal Mail managers achieving some sort of national standards in work service provided by the workforce.
The DOM has "floor huddles" with everyone who is in at ~0745, which I sometimes catch the end of when I turn up at 0800 for my "controlled overtime spend" prep, yet if there is even a noticeboard stating when these "chats" are scheduled I and every other part-timer is clueless as to when they happen. But then the information given to the early starters is then not given to the late starting part-timers so they know what has happened or is going to happen. And yet us "part-timers" are supposed to pretty much be the "prime directive" of Royal Mail right now! The misinformation is changed on a day-by-day basis to the part-timers to suit the current targets of the depot.
Which brings me nicely to another information clash on another topical issue... door to doors! I've read on here several times that under the new agreement, D2D is now integrated into the workload Mon-Sat, which means ~16% of the frame gets marketing regardless daily of who is doing a particular walk at any time of day. However, when I caught the end of the "huddle" this week our DOM insisted it was obligatory to do 20% a day over five days! Yet as I fill in my overtime sheet for today after the managers have all gone, I find a stack of A4 sheets for D2D declarations talking of a 17% daily call-rate for D2D. Why is this being made to look such hard work by depot managers? Surely the nitty gritty of this D2D was worked out with the union months ago during the 90-odd page dossier saga, yet its as if area managers are telling different stories daily to the depot managers!
This morning, another part-timer colleague found a stack of D2D left for him to do, yet from our DOM's statement, this was poor show from the Mon-Fri posties on this walk. Consequently, this part-timer felt pressure to either do the D2D today or hide it in a bag! This postie should have taken the bundle of undeleivered D2D and handed it to the middle manager, covering our area manager's day-off, as this failure was not the day-off covers problem. But if the hidden D2D gets stopped and worked back to the cover, they will get a repremand...
Don't get me wrong, this job has been the best job I have had for my health since I was diagnosed with a condition which goes back to the 90s, being a postie is actually theraputical for me (providing I limit my hours to no more than 35 regularly)! However, the the lack of training and blatent misinformation is really winding me up recently.
On that note, I shall end this novel, sweet dreams (if you aren't asleep alread from reading my vent)
-
bigcol
- Posts: 404
- Joined: 21 Jun 2010, 13:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: Officially the worst DO
Re: Most signed for items on a 3.5 hour delivery,,?
I pretty much agree with everything you say. I'm a part timer and and we all know we are s**t upon. 'Training' is bollocks.
I'm a diabetic and the job is excellent for my health.
It's when I see things like 'felt pressure' etc. It really gets my goat. As long as you act in a reasonable manner there is bugger all they can do. It's only a job at the end of the day.
It's when I see things like 'felt pressure' etc. It really gets my goat. As long as you act in a reasonable manner there is bugger all they can do. It's only a job at the end of the day.
-
jack straw
- Posts: 260
- Joined: 17 Feb 2010, 17:08
- Gender: Female
Re: Most signed for items on a 3.5 hour delivery,,?
You're a lucky boy then, someone is looking after you.Acca Dacca wrote:I often think im in a different job from some of you.
That is unreal.
Ive done about 60 walks since I started last year and most specials i have ever had is 3, most recorded about 9
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Most signed for items on a 3.5 hour delivery,,?
Just so ft. Special circumstances should apply for those items. This is my last christmas so the problem will no longer be mine but the guy following me is the rep and he will be more than adequate in making the necessary adjustments - he is more aggressive than me so the drivers will continue to take them albeit reluctantly.fishtank wrote:dvbuk55 wrote: The situation occurs more especially at xmas when the vouchers from xmas clubs are sent out and then I would issue no more than 3 per walk and would more often than not give them to a driver.
The Christmas club vouchers are a real problem as the entire street usually knows they are coming.![]()
I was informed by a customer one year AFTER i had delivered some that i had been carrying £12,000 worth of vouchers.
-
redspartapost
- Posts: 151
- Joined: 10 Jul 2009, 12:03
- Gender: Male
Re: Most signed for items on a 3.5 hour delivery,,?
on a walk i used to float cover there were times that part of it (because the scheme was next to a river that was prone to flooding) got 100+ recordeds ,when this happened the phg would scan and print off all the barcodes the dom would sign it and then they would be delivered as normal mail without attempting to get a signature.this has happened at least 3 times to me in my 9 years service and i know of 4 or 5 other posties in my office that are the same .i thought it was common practice when you had over 20 recordeds .
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
Re: Most signed for items on a 3.5 hour delivery,,?
Most days i get any thing from only 2-6 reg's which is fine but the recordeds have gone mad and its normally 6-12 everyday.
The Worst day ever was some time ago when the local Barclays Bank closed it branch and every customer got a special. My delivery was close the the shops and i ended up with 177 regs.
.
I asked the Dom what to do and he said do the first delivery (in the days of two) and take the reg on the daymail, (there were over a 1000 and the locker staff could not get them ready) . I asked whilst i was out if he could get somebody to take the stickers off and place them on the delivery cards for me. When i got back nothing had been done.
I then asked him for further advice and he would not speak to me
he just stood there and just told me to get on with it before walking back to his office and closing the door. So wound up i simply went out and put everyone through the box and wrote delivered on the cards. When i got home and calmed down i worried all night about it but I never got a complaint.
However i lost a lot of faith in the Managers that day. 
The Worst day ever was some time ago when the local Barclays Bank closed it branch and every customer got a special. My delivery was close the the shops and i ended up with 177 regs.
I asked the Dom what to do and he said do the first delivery (in the days of two) and take the reg on the daymail, (there were over a 1000 and the locker staff could not get them ready) . I asked whilst i was out if he could get somebody to take the stickers off and place them on the delivery cards for me. When i got back nothing had been done.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........