ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Non-Addressed Mail Work Moved Into Normal Workload

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Re: Non-Addressed Mail Work Moved Into Normal Workload

Post by NewPostieUK »

Last Saturday I had to do my usual 5 hours work, roughly deliver the same amount of items, but also had to deliver door to doors. I was given no extra time.
Big Daz wrote: Non-Addressed Mail Work Moved Into Normal Workload From This Week
Does this mean I will be given more time next Saturday? How will this work? I'm sure my contract won't be changed. Will I be expected to take less out, bring items back, or work overtime?
My workload has increased, but my contacted hours haven't.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Non-Addressed Mail Work Moved Into Normal Workload

Post by fishtank »

banner18 wrote:
fishtank wrote:
banner18 wrote: You are now paid by the hours you work.
No Banner you are not.
You are paid in relation to your contracted hours.
This is grossly unfair to part-time members who consistently have to work more than their contracted hours just to earn a decent wage.
Nobody forces anyone to work over their contracted hours. This applies to both full and part timers. If you agree to the terms RM offer for you to do more hours, then you agree on an individual basis and are accepting the terms. I, for instance, do not accept the measly overtime rate RM pay and therefore do not do any overtime.
The argument that part timers have to do it is dependent on personal circumstances. Plenty of part timers don't do any. Those that have to, I suspect have nice cars, a big house or loads of kids, all choices they made and have to pay the price for them.
Stop and think for a moment banner.
There is a reason RM would rather employ a 20hr part-timer to perform a 40hr duty.
Part-time sick pay,part-time pension commitment,part-time holiday pay and of course.....part-time allowances.
This has saved Royal Mail millions over the past 5 years and cost us thousands of full-time posts.
The fact that the union continue to buy into it is confusing to say the least although there was at least some progress at conference this year.
Last edited by fishtank on 29 Jun 2010, 22:22, edited 1 time in total.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
elverly
Posts: 59
Joined: 15 Mar 2010, 18:21
Gender: Male

Re: Non-Addressed Mail Work Moved Into Normal Workload

Post by elverly »

how can it be fair when one gets 1 set or none and another gets 4 sets in the same office if anyone calls that fair they are full of s**t
Straight4ward
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1621
Joined: 25 Oct 2009, 14:32
Gender: Male

Re: Non-Addressed Mail Work Moved Into Normal Workload

Post by Straight4ward »

Fishtank wrote;
There is a reason RM would rather employ a 20hr part-timer to perform a 40hr duty.
Part-time sick pay,part-time pension commitment,part-time holiday pay and of course.....part-time allowances.
This has saved Royal Mail millions over the past 5 years and cost us thousands of full-time posts.
But isn't the major achievement in this agreement the fact that the CWU have got a commitment from RM to holding full-time jobs at 75%?

Looking at what's going on at TNT in Holland, I think it's about time that our CWU negotiators started to get some credit.
"Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway."
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32819
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Non-Addressed Mail Work Moved Into Normal Workload

Post by POSTMAN »

Straight4ward wrote:Fishtank wrote;
There is a reason RM would rather employ a 20hr part-timer to perform a 40hr duty.
Part-time sick pay,part-time pension commitment,part-time holiday pay and of course.....part-time allowances.
This has saved Royal Mail millions over the past 5 years and cost us thousands of full-time posts.
But isn't the major achievement in this agreement the fact that the CWU have got a commitment from RM to holding full-time jobs at 75%?

Looking at what's going on at TNT in Holland, I think it's about time that our CWU negotiators started to get some credit.
Forget Holland,look around the WORLD! :shock:
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
apple
Posts: 496
Joined: 03 Dec 2007, 17:13
Gender: Male
Location: Pluto

Re: Non-Addressed Mail Work Moved Into Normal Workload

Post by apple »

"winners and losers"
ha ha! how can that be when the person who did the work filled the form in and got payed for it, now our PHGs are £20 better off a week for doing nothing
Nob, oops sorry Bob your a joke and i would like to meet you some day to tell you that
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Non-Addressed Mail Work Moved Into Normal Workload

Post by fishtank »

At the moment the split is 79/21 by 2012 it will be 75/25.
In deliveries it will be closer to 65/35.
I congratulate the CWU in slowing the move to part-time working.....until 2013. :neutral:
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
motherhubbard
Posts: 1001
Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 17:13
Gender: Female
Location: in the cupboard

Re: Non-Addressed Mail Work Moved Into Normal Workload

Post by motherhubbard »

NewPostieUK wrote:Last Saturday I had to do my usual 5 hours work, roughly deliver the same amount of items, but also had to deliver door to doors. I was given no extra time.
Big Daz wrote: Non-Addressed Mail Work Moved Into Normal Workload From This Week
Does this mean I will be given more time next Saturday? How will this work? I'm sure my contract won't be changed. Will I be expected to take less out, bring items back, or work overtime?
My workload has increased, but my contacted hours haven't.
If you aren't given extra time then a full-timer should have prepped your items for you.
And if no-one has the time then you don't have sufficient hours in your office. I presume no-one lapses either?
Never let the hand you hold, hold you down.
dblad
Posts: 448
Joined: 20 Nov 2009, 18:26
Gender: Male

Re: Non-Addressed Mail Work Moved Into Normal Workload

Post by dblad »

The only difference between a full timer and me, 31.5 hrs, is that I dont do the IPS, my walk is every bit as big as the others, bigger than a lot in fact, so as the delivery supplement as replaced the D2D payments they should be paid equally. Under the old (fairer) system, if you took 1,2 or 3 you got paid for 1,2 or 3 if you took none you got nothing and I can't recall anybody ever complaining that they had no D2Ds and it was unfair that they didn't get paid.
motherhubbard
Posts: 1001
Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 17:13
Gender: Female
Location: in the cupboard

Re: Non-Addressed Mail Work Moved Into Normal Workload

Post by motherhubbard »

dblad wrote:The only difference between a full timer and me, 31.5 hrs, is that I dont do the IPS, my walk is every bit as big as the others, bigger than a lot in fact, so as the delivery supplement as replaced the D2D payments they should be paid equally. Under the old (fairer) system, if you took 1,2 or 3 you got paid for 1,2 or 3 if you took none you got nothing and I can't recall anybody ever complaining that they had no D2Ds and it was unfair that they didn't get paid.
The old system was not fairer. You only think it was fairer because you were a winner under it.
If the p/t on the frame next to you got 3 D2D/week and you got none he would have been earning an extra £1500/year while working exactly the same hours as you. Not more work just different work. That wasn't a fair system.
Perhaps you haven't yet felt the benefits of putting D2D into workload. You will and then maybe you will revise your opinion.
There are good reasons why the CWU opted for putting D2D into workload and once you do that there is no reason to keep payment per item as well.
Never let the hand you hold, hold you down.
motherhubbard
Posts: 1001
Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 17:13
Gender: Female
Location: in the cupboard

Re: Non-Addressed Mail Work Moved Into Normal Workload

Post by motherhubbard »

fishtank wrote:
I congratulate the CWU

My vote for shocking post of the week goes to Fishtank.
Never let the hand you hold, hold you down.
b&wcat
Posts: 24
Joined: 26 Aug 2008, 20:30
Gender: Male

Re: Non-Addressed Mail Work Moved Into Normal Workload

Post by b&wcat »

I used to get £30+ a week for doing my 3 D2D's. Now, on a 24 hour contract I get just over £12. I have the biggest walk in the office; over 650 devlivery points; and this week I'm delivering 5 D2D's for £12. Basically I'm doing more leg work than most full timers, earning RM more money (from my point of view) and getting less for it! How's that fair? Surly I should be able to either do my D2D's "PRO RATA" or opt out (as would many full and part timers as were all getting less for more) :mad
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Re: Non-Addressed Mail Work Moved Into Normal Workload

Post by NewPostieUK »

motherhubbard wrote:
NewPostieUK wrote:Last Saturday I had to do my usual 5 hours work, roughly deliver the same amount of items, but also had to deliver door to doors. I was given no extra time.
Big Daz wrote: Non-Addressed Mail Work Moved Into Normal Workload From This Week
Does this mean I will be given more time next Saturday? How will this work? I'm sure my contract won't be changed. Will I be expected to take less out, bring items back, or work overtime?
My workload has increased, but my contacted hours haven't.
If you aren't given extra time then a full-timer should have prepped your items for you.
And if no-one has the time then you don't have sufficient hours in your office. I presume no-one lapses either?
Everyone lapses, every day.

I'll ask about getting some prep done on Saturday.
banner18
Posts: 636
Joined: 05 Sep 2008, 19:10
Gender: Male

Re: Non-Addressed Mail Work Moved Into Normal Workload

Post by banner18 »

What gets me is why nobody ever complains that they get more packets than someone else, or more letters, or have more bags, or more hills but never get any extra pay for that?
Why should it be, that these little leaflets that we get, should be under some different rules to all other work that comes in?
People have got sour grapes about it because they have lost money and that is regrettable, but D2D should have been in workload from day one which would have avoided all this pain.
dblad
Posts: 448
Joined: 20 Nov 2009, 18:26
Gender: Male

Re: Non-Addressed Mail Work Moved Into Normal Workload

Post by dblad »

motherhubbard wrote:
dblad wrote:The only difference between a full timer and me, 31.5 hrs, is that I dont do the IPS, my walk is every bit as big as the others, bigger than a lot in fact, so as the delivery supplement as replaced the D2D payments they should be paid equally. Under the old (fairer) system, if you took 1,2 or 3 you got paid for 1,2 or 3 if you took none you got nothing and I can't recall anybody ever complaining that they had no D2Ds and it was unfair that they didn't get paid.
The old system was not fairer. You only think it was fairer because you were a winner under it.
If the p/t on the frame next to you got 3 D2D/week and you got none he would have been earning an extra £1500/year while working exactly the same hours as you. Not more work just different work. That wasn't a fair system.
Perhaps you haven't yet felt the benefits of putting D2D into workload. You will and then maybe you will revise your opinion.
There are good reasons why the CWU opted for putting D2D into workload and once you do that there is no reason to keep payment per item as well.
Sorry but I will never see it as fairer, as far as I'm concerned they can take all the frigging D2Ds and shove them were ever and keep their delivery payment, if someone wants to do them thats fine with me and they deserve the money but my thoughts were then as they are now you get paid more if you do more, this new system is crap. I hope and pray I never have to deliver the crap again. BTW my office hardly get any, even before we could go weeks without and the last 3 weeks we've had just 1, this week none.