ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Anyone else struggle in this hot weather?
-
Jevster
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 31
- Joined: 22 Feb 2008, 06:02
Re: Anyone else struggle in this hot weather?
All day is a bit of an exaggeration I suppose, more like the 3.5 to 4+ hours it takes to do the delivery plus however long it takes to get home.
Sometimes if I lucky there will a pub on the route where I can have a pit stop, but due to nature of the job I think not being dehydrated to some degree in this weather is difficult.
Sometimes if I lucky there will a pub on the route where I can have a pit stop, but due to nature of the job I think not being dehydrated to some degree in this weather is difficult.
-
Straight4ward
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1621
- Joined: 25 Oct 2009, 14:32
- Gender: Male
Re: Anyone else struggle in this hot weather?
I absolutely love it! Can’t get enough of it.
I reckon 85% of whether I enjoy my day or not, is determined by the weather and these current conditions are perfect for me.
As has already been said on here, drink plenty of water and if you’ve anything less than a thatched barnet, then wear a hat.
I stick a 2 litre bottle of water in the freezer overnight and take that out with me in the day. (Don’t fill the bottle, leave room for the water to expand as it turns to ice.)
I reckon 85% of whether I enjoy my day or not, is determined by the weather and these current conditions are perfect for me.
As has already been said on here, drink plenty of water and if you’ve anything less than a thatched barnet, then wear a hat.
I stick a 2 litre bottle of water in the freezer overnight and take that out with me in the day. (Don’t fill the bottle, leave room for the water to expand as it turns to ice.)
"Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway."
-
Pegman
- Posts: 373
- Joined: 27 Aug 2009, 22:41
- Gender: Male
- Location: The Deep South
Re: Anyone else struggle in this hot weather?
Perhaps earlier starts are needed after all the goverment advises you to stay out of the heat of the day. You would imagine common sense and H&S would prevail at times like this.
Then again Royal Mail must go by the old adage "Only mad dogs and postmen, go out in the midday sun"
Then again Royal Mail must go by the old adage "Only mad dogs and postmen, go out in the midday sun"
http://www.onlyoneunited.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
100% United, 100% Unofficial
100% United, 100% Unofficial
-
wiganpostie
- Posts: 670
- Joined: 09 Mar 2010, 20:16
- Gender: Male
Re: Anyone else struggle in this hot weather?
I hate walking round in this weather - when I am about an hour and a half into my walk I feel like I am halfway through a desert, with no option but to keep trudging on.
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16742
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Re: Anyone else struggle in this hot weather?
The one obvious piece of advice that no-one has bothered to post is - just deliver on the shady side of the street.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
Stormproof
- Posts: 6116
- Joined: 07 Jul 2007, 21:03
- Gender: Female
Re: Anyone else struggle in this hot weather?
I hate the summer, I'm a spring/autumn person. Its far too hot, at the moment I'm on a rural duty so out of the office for 4.5hrs. No toilets out there so I tend to only drink about a litre of water. Friday when I got home took my shoes off and one of my shins and both my feet just swelled up and spent the evening shuffling around like a cripple. I love this job 
So keep on moving, moving, moving your feet
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets
Illegitimi non carborundum
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets
Illegitimi non carborundum
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Anyone else struggle in this hot weather?
Maybe.Jevster wrote:When I've been holding it all day it gets quite a dark yellow or greenish colour, maybe I am one of the lizard people? You'd better hold your tongue you talking monkey!! Sssssssssssss
-
Jenny Manchester
- Posts: 138
- Joined: 10 Jan 2010, 17:12
- Gender: Female
Re: Anyone else struggle in this hot weather?
Royal Mail Supply Snow Chains in the Winter, so why don't they supply sun cream in the summer. The Obese posties suffer in this weather in my office. They make me laugh, in the Chippy on the corner they go in on a Monday at 12 30 for pie chips and peas and gravy and then has the cheek to ask for a can of diet coke...Jevster wrote:Looking at the forecast it looks like it's gonna be another scorcher of a week and I'm finding it really hard as the heat just drains the life out of me and leaves me dehydrated after sweating like a pig.
It doesn't help being out delivering during the hottest part of day and I'm surprised people haven't being off with heat exhaustion yet.
Obviously being British I like to whinge about the weather whatever it is but I can honestly say I found the snow easier to deal with!
-
Exrep
- Posts: 1005
- Joined: 02 Oct 2009, 21:01
- Gender: Male
Re: Anyone else struggle in this hot weather?
Yep me due to having an over active thyroid which gives you a low tolerance to heat and other complications.
My dim said to me the other day when i flipped out after getting a 13th of a walk as i argued the toss i had D2Ds and a bulk posting "Its ok it lovelly and hot outside" Yeah what fecking ever.
After ive finished my walk im soaked in sweat and completely exhausted.
My dim said to me the other day when i flipped out after getting a 13th of a walk as i argued the toss i had D2Ds and a bulk posting "Its ok it lovelly and hot outside" Yeah what fecking ever.
After ive finished my walk im soaked in sweat and completely exhausted.
“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.”
-
Stormproof
- Posts: 6116
- Joined: 07 Jul 2007, 21:03
- Gender: Female
Re: Anyone else struggle in this hot weather?
Talking of managers liking the heat, whilst we are roasting on the IPS/prepping they've a load of fans in their office, I counted 5 in there the other day one for each of them, not including the ones they've got on the walls. Oh and MC staff don't keep nicking our fans we need them, open the f***ing doors at your end and get a breeze through!!!!! 
So keep on moving, moving, moving your feet
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets
Illegitimi non carborundum
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets
Illegitimi non carborundum
-
not me
- Posts: 2735
- Joined: 10 Aug 2007, 15:07
- Gender: Female
- Location: Uranus
Re: Anyone else struggle in this hot weather?
Pegman wrote:Perhaps earlier starts are needed after all the goverment advises you to stay out of the heat of the day. You would imagine common sense and H&S would prevail at times like this.
Then again Royal Mail must go by the old adage "Only mad dogs and postmen, go out in the midday sun"
dont you remember getting the skin cancer 'help' note from RM
just after we changed from 5am to 6am starts
it advised to stay out of the sun and avoid going out when the sun was at its strongest in the afternoon
-
dblad
- Posts: 448
- Joined: 20 Nov 2009, 18:26
- Gender: Male
Re: Anyone else struggle in this hot weather?
20 minutes meal relief before going out[quote][/quote]
Tell your DOM that even if it's been agreed that you take 20 mins before starting, you can if you want to, take it away from the office, thats the law.
Tell your DOM that even if it's been agreed that you take 20 mins before starting, you can if you want to, take it away from the office, thats the law.
-
somerset
- Posts: 582
- Joined: 08 Jun 2007, 16:23
Re: Anyone else struggle in this hot weather?
Royal Mail Supply Snow Chains in the Winter, so why don't they supply sun cream in the summer. [quote][/quote]
If my memory serves me right ? In our office they did supply sun cream. But due to the fact if you got sun cancer ? You could sue RM ? So they withdrew it .
If my memory serves me right ? In our office they did supply sun cream. But due to the fact if you got sun cancer ? You could sue RM ? So they withdrew it .
-
Caniel
- Posts: 623
- Joined: 03 Jul 2009, 18:25
- Gender: Female
- Location: The Batcave
Re: Anyone else struggle in this hot weather?
I've been melting on my delivery
that floppy bush hat helps a bit but after my first bag my shirt is soaked with sweat. I've got a load of those 750ml Lucozade bottles, I try to take 1 in my first pouch and put another 1 at least in each pouch I send out.
-
brothermagrew
- Posts: 3015
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 16:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: Shares a border with England to the south.
Re: Anyone else struggle in this hot weather?
Fluorescent yellow / greenish urine may be caused by dietary supplemental vitamins, especially the B vitamins.
"Today’s workplace has become heartless and soulless. Employees are seen as units of labour, automatons, functionaries, objects for achieving designated tasks, and as costs to be minimised."