ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
NEW & UNHAPPY
-
Pegman
- Posts: 373
- Joined: 27 Aug 2009, 22:41
- Gender: Male
- Location: The Deep South
Re: NEW & UNHAPPY
Al i can add to this is what others have said.
Join the union, that is a must, once you are in you have a lever to do things the right way.
Don't come in early, I used to but no longer do, if you can't complete tell the line manager you can't, if he shrugs his shoulders, and looks at you like a doey eyed spaniel, tell the Union rep you've spoken to him, he will probably then speak to the lino.
Don't go over your hours unless you have it confirmed by your rep that you will be paid the excess, be aware there are some who will refuse to go over even if they were paid, if you are willing to complete for payment then make it clear.
Don't use your car, it's against RM regs anyway, or so I was told.
Don't listen to the runners and lap dogs in the office, listen to your reps,a nd do it as they say, that is the only right way,
Since adopting this attitude, I am much happier in my work, my lino knows where I stand, but I still get offered extra duties and schedules.
Think of it in another way, if you worked in a factory, would you clock out then go back to your workstation for a couple of hours and carry on working, of course you wouldn't, so don;t do it for RM. If your Boss then asked you to load up your car with that work and take it to a customer would you do it ?
Join the union, that is a must, once you are in you have a lever to do things the right way.
Don't come in early, I used to but no longer do, if you can't complete tell the line manager you can't, if he shrugs his shoulders, and looks at you like a doey eyed spaniel, tell the Union rep you've spoken to him, he will probably then speak to the lino.
Don't go over your hours unless you have it confirmed by your rep that you will be paid the excess, be aware there are some who will refuse to go over even if they were paid, if you are willing to complete for payment then make it clear.
Don't use your car, it's against RM regs anyway, or so I was told.
Don't listen to the runners and lap dogs in the office, listen to your reps,a nd do it as they say, that is the only right way,
Since adopting this attitude, I am much happier in my work, my lino knows where I stand, but I still get offered extra duties and schedules.
Think of it in another way, if you worked in a factory, would you clock out then go back to your workstation for a couple of hours and carry on working, of course you wouldn't, so don;t do it for RM. If your Boss then asked you to load up your car with that work and take it to a customer would you do it ?
http://www.onlyoneunited.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
100% United, 100% Unofficial
100% United, 100% Unofficial
-
muckyboots
- Posts: 82
- Joined: 11 Sep 2009, 19:53
- Gender: Female
Re: NEW & UNHAPPY
hi derby ben,derbyben wrote:Hi all
I have felt the need to write on here. I've been at Royal Mail for about a month and the job seems very different to what was discussed in the interview and at induction. First i was offered a job and the start date was about 2-3 months later. I then spent a week with another person before working alone. I should work 9-2 yet I have loads of mail to sort on arrival. I appreciate it takes time to get up to speed but promised overtime whilst learning is like trying to get blood out of a stone and it took 3 weeks for me to be informed that coming in early was 'my time that I give to the company' apparently. Door to door bonuses are paultry and are more hassle than they are worth (and will get worse by the sound of it!), adding time to your day. Lapsing seems a big con- is there no overtime or bonus for this? The managers keep on about the reduction in mail, yet didn't the company make around £400m profit last financial year? I actually enjoy being out on my route but feel under a lot of pressure to speed up. I have been pushed into using my own car at my own business insurance and fuel expenses- added to by these lapsing duties. I feel im getting a bit quicker but I have problems getting into flats and sorting out new-builds that have conflicting door numbers. I know I need to learn but this pressure results in mistakes which we're not allowed to make. I feel this company is taking advantage of the recession and the fact we all need a job. But who in their right mind would work for nothing and is it even legal? All I get from the managers in- 'It's what your colleagues voted for' It appears the vote was tipped by non delivery workers. I look forward to hearing your responses. I'm sticking with it in the hope it improves or i can get work from new machines installed in the future. By the way I hope my username isn't mis-leading but I don't work in Derby.
it's a funny job - you either love it or hate it. it usually depends on your colleagues
good for you getting on this forum, I found it too late but there is some sound advice on here. don't listen to smelly, she's a bolshy female like me
RM managers can be very nasty but try not to be intimidated. if you work 9-2 and you don't want to do any overtime, then don't. don't feel pressured into doing it. before 9 and after 2 it is your time, not RM's. if you do go over make sure you book overtime.
I know it's like being thrown in at the deep end but you will find your feet eventually(it took me 12 months).
it is ok to make mistakes sometimes, like misdelivery or redirecting a letter wrongly, it happens all the time to the most seasoned of staff. one thing that is very easily done is forgetting about a letter in your bag and taking it home. Make sure you check your bag and pouches and offload at a post office or postbox. if you are caught with it in your bag the next morning it can result in serious trouble.
DO NOT use your car. there are vans scheduled to take you out. don't worry if you miss the first one, it is management's responsibility to get you out to the start of your walk. try not to stress about this, when I was new I got hassle from the driver and the line manager and rushed around trying to get done and get out on time. the job takes as long as it takes, and if you are still a rookie it'll take longer. if you find you are being hassled in any way, speak to your rep. that is, if you've joined the union. which you will, won't you
you do seem to be a lot more clued up than I was after a month. my 'induction'
definitely definitely join the union. you can ask for advice from your rep.
welcome to royal mail! good luck, you're going to need it!
-
thevardinator
- Posts: 165
- Joined: 12 Apr 2010, 16:21
- Gender: Male
Re: NEW & UNHAPPY
It's good to hear this from experienced posties. With me also being fairly new, its all good advice.
I'm worried that if I turn around and say that I just want to do my 9-2, 25 hour contract, they'll go off on one and make me feel a right idiot. I'm sure there are a lot of people out there who would love a bit of overtime, but not me, 25 hours suits me just right at present.
I'm worried that if I turn around and say that I just want to do my 9-2, 25 hour contract, they'll go off on one and make me feel a right idiot. I'm sure there are a lot of people out there who would love a bit of overtime, but not me, 25 hours suits me just right at present.
STAND TOGETHER IN THE FIGHT.
-
Exrep
- Posts: 1005
- Joined: 02 Oct 2009, 21:01
- Gender: Male
Re: NEW & UNHAPPY
Smelly cat if no one ever spoke up were exactly would we be now.
Dont barrack someone for asking for advice when management are clearly taking him for a ride. If you were being taking advantage of by anyone would you just except that or would you speak up.
To the original poster Stop Using your car work your contracted hours ,get conveyance down to your beat and join the union (http://www.cwu.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
Are you on a temp contract or have you a permanent one.
Dont barrack someone for asking for advice when management are clearly taking him for a ride. If you were being taking advantage of by anyone would you just except that or would you speak up.
To the original poster Stop Using your car work your contracted hours ,get conveyance down to your beat and join the union (http://www.cwu.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
Are you on a temp contract or have you a permanent one.
“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.”
-
The hollow man
- Posts: 65
- Joined: 17 Oct 2008, 15:50
- Gender: Male
Re: NEW & UNHAPPY
Very true, they don't like having to cover extra bits of walks people have left due to working contracted hours. They would rather you work 30/45 mins over for free no questions asked.thevardinator wrote:It's good to hear this from experienced posties. With me also being fairly new, its all good advice.
I'm worried that if I turn around and say that I just want to do my 9-2, 25 hour contract, they'll go off on one and make me feel a right idiot. I'm sure there are a lot of people out there who would love a bit of overtime, but not me, 25 hours suits me just right at present.
It's a complete joke, why implement part - time working hours when in reality it isn't!! when you apply for these jobs it's on presumption your going to be working the hours advertised when applied, this is why it's a bit of a culture shock for newbies when they start.
If you applied for a job in Tescos 7.00 - 1.00 stacking shelves would you be expected to work an extra 50 mins for free because x amount of bags of sugar need replenishing.
At the end of the day higher tier management have made their bed they've got to lie in it, they put pressure on DOMs to keep their office to budget but it always has a knock on effect down to the posties.. this results in bully boy tactics and pressure to do overtime, but why should posties have to suffer for someone else's incompetence!!
-
thevardinator
- Posts: 165
- Joined: 12 Apr 2010, 16:21
- Gender: Male
Re: NEW & UNHAPPY
So if I turn around to them next week and tell them that I will only work 25 hours from now on, am I within my rights to do so, and if so will there be any implications.
STAND TOGETHER IN THE FIGHT.
-
Patrick Clifton
- Posts: 430
- Joined: 16 May 2010, 12:37
- Gender: Male
- Location: Greendale
Re: NEW & UNHAPPY
You dont need to stipulate 'from now on.' If asked at any point just tell them you are not available. Simples.thevardinator wrote:So if I turn around to them next week and tell them that I will only work 25 hours from now on, am I within my rights to do so, and if so will there be any implications.
-
The hollow man
- Posts: 65
- Joined: 17 Oct 2008, 15:50
- Gender: Male
Re: NEW & UNHAPPY
Thats what i do, just work my contracted hours - oh yeah they don't like it but i don't make the rules up i just stick to them.thevardinator wrote:So if I turn around to them next week and tell them that I will only work 25 hours from now on, am I within my rights to do so, and if so will there be any implications.
When i first started on a temp contract i was more or less blackmailed to work over (often for free) with the threat of having my contract terminated, i have never known such a corrupt industry.
-
cyclemech1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 334
- Joined: 20 Jul 2009, 20:46
- Gender: Male
Re: NEW & UNHAPPY
Smelly, you're my kind of woman!!smelly_cat_lady wrote:Stop moaning or leave. Simple
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
Re: NEW & UNHAPPY
Good postThe hollow man wrote:Very true, they don't like having to cover extra bits of walks people have left due to working contracted hours. They would rather you work 30/45 mins over for free no questions asked.thevardinator wrote:It's good to hear this from experienced posties. With me also being fairly new, its all good advice.
I'm worried that if I turn around and say that I just want to do my 9-2, 25 hour contract, they'll go off on one and make me feel a right idiot. I'm sure there are a lot of people out there who would love a bit of overtime, but not me, 25 hours suits me just right at present.
It's a complete joke, why implement part - time working hours when in reality it isn't!! when you apply for these jobs it's on presumption your going to be working the hours advertised when applied, this is why it's a bit of a culture shock for newbies when they start.
If you applied for a job in Tescos 7.00 - 1.00 stacking shelves would you be expected to work an extra 50 mins for free because x amount of bags of sugar need replenishing.
At the end of the day higher tier management have made their bed they've got to lie in it, they put pressure on DOMs to keep their office to budget but it always has a knock on effect down to the posties.. this results in bully boy tactics and pressure to do overtime, but why should posties have to suffer for someone else's incompetence!!
Its so true that certain managers put pressure on the new guy because he knows no better and really needs a job.
If you enjoy the working out of doors then i would stick with it for now as some of these changes like van sharing could
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
-
not me
- Posts: 2735
- Joined: 10 Aug 2007, 15:07
- Gender: Female
- Location: Uranus
Re: NEW & UNHAPPY
The hollow man wrote:Thats what i do, just work my contracted hours - oh yeah they don't like it but i don't make the rules up i just stick to them.thevardinator wrote:So if I turn around to them next week and tell them that I will only work 25 hours from now on, am I within my rights to do so, and if so will there be any implications.
When i first started on a temp contract i was more or less blackmailed to work over (often for free) with the threat of having my contract terminated, i have never known such a corrupt industry.
once they get it into their skulls that you wont be working over, it makes life so much simpler
-
General Mannerheim
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2299
- Joined: 14 Dec 2007, 13:10
- Gender: Male
- Location: Stalag 17
Re: NEW & UNHAPPY
smelly_cat_lady wrote:Stop moaning or leave. Simple

Royal Mail managers.....about as popular as a t.urd in a swimming pool!
The DDA/Equality Act demands action,NOT words......adjustments NOT Occupational Health referrals.Case No:2505901/09
Royal Mail is an Equal Opportunities Employer..It discriminates against everybody.
The DDA/Equality Act demands action,NOT words......adjustments NOT Occupational Health referrals.Case No:2505901/09
Royal Mail is an Equal Opportunities Employer..It discriminates against everybody.
-
BELIAL
- Posts: 6758
- Joined: 15 Jun 2007, 17:33
- Gender: Female
- Location: Nowhere
Re: NEW & UNHAPPY
What a nasty thing to say . Sound like a bonus bagging managersmelly_cat_lady wrote:Stop moaning or leave. Simple
Bye
-
derbyben
- Posts: 17
- Joined: 24 Mar 2010, 13:56
- Gender: Male
Re: NEW & UNHAPPY
Thanks for all your comments. I'm on a temporary contract and being new you want to show willing. You don't expect a company like this to take the p***, so now I need to balance showing willing with standing up for myself. I actually want as much work as possible to pay the bills, but I'd sooner be at home than working for free. I didn't mind sort of half an hour b4 and half an hour after even but then they gave me the lapsing and got me doing my own sorting, which I know applies to about everyone, I was getting well behind. Surely as a new person, i should be eased up to speed so I can get the job right before learning to do it faster. I was even told by my manager to take my time and get it right and they'll pay overtime but when it has come to it the money has not been there and they've made it difficult in reporting overtime and they say back paying is not possible as everything is totalled up daily. They seem very relutant to have or to tell me the correct proceedure for recording overtime. The way I feel at the moment, I want to leave but can't because I need to pay the bills. I'm not sure being left with aboyt £180 a week is worth all the grief. There seems too much politics in this company. 
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
Re: NEW & UNHAPPY
Unfortunately you have joined through a period of much change, more than any of us have ever experienced. This will explain some of the indecisiveness going on in your office.
Claiming overtime should be fairly simple if you inform a manager that you think you will not be able to complete within your paid hours. You can then offer to work extra and leave the actual decision down to him.
If he agrees then its sometimes a good idea to inform the person who is responsible for the balance of staff payments (normally a postie/locker duty)that you will be going over today and that the manager has approved it. If you work say 30 mins over then you can inform the balance guy ASAP and check its been recorded. I know a manager should do all this on your behalf but ive found taking a more direct route and talking to the balance guy generally means you get paid.
Best of luck
Claiming overtime should be fairly simple if you inform a manager that you think you will not be able to complete within your paid hours. You can then offer to work extra and leave the actual decision down to him.
If he agrees then its sometimes a good idea to inform the person who is responsible for the balance of staff payments (normally a postie/locker duty)that you will be going over today and that the manager has approved it. If you work say 30 mins over then you can inform the balance guy ASAP and check its been recorded. I know a manager should do all this on your behalf but ive found taking a more direct route and talking to the balance guy generally means you get paid.
Best of luck
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........