ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

questions - Why is it hell?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: questions - Why is it hell?

Post by fishtank »

jaylime wrote:I smell a troll. :hmmmm
I smell burgers....next door are havin a BBQ. :chuckle
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
General Mannerheim
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2299
Joined: 14 Dec 2007, 13:10
Gender: Male
Location: Stalag 17

Re: questions - Why is it hell?

Post by General Mannerheim »

jaylime wrote:I smell a troll. :hmmmm
Have you tried an airwick?
Royal Mail managers.....about as popular as a t.urd in a swimming pool!
The DDA/Equality Act demands action,NOT words......adjustments NOT Occupational Health referrals.Case No:2505901/09
Royal Mail is an Equal Opportunities Employer..It discriminates against everybody.
jaylime
Posts: 331
Joined: 09 Jan 2009, 10:27
Gender: Male

Re: questions - Why is it hell?

Post by jaylime »

I smell fishfingers the kids teas ready,either that or the mrs is home from work.
pony
Posts: 104
Joined: 10 Mar 2009, 17:18
Gender: Male

Re: questions - Why is it hell?

Post by pony »

Jevster wrote:I've been doing this job 2 and half years and am still looking for something else!

The main problems as I see it are that they are piling more and more work on you - but still expect you to do it in the same time, and that when you do go over they try their best to make you feel like you are taking the piss and have no right to expect to be paid more.

The job itself would be ok if not for the shambolic way the company is run and the bullying approach of the managers.
This is it really.
You'll walk in and you will have to finish prepping your walk.
Van driver will have gone awol and you'll be sat about 30 mins waiting.It will be counted as your break,even though you can't relax cos you think he will be back any minute.
You'll have a 4 hour + round,plus you'll prob have to take 10 mins of a lasped walk and you'll finish an hour after you're finish time.
Manager will think you're tossing it off and make you feel bad about claiming ot.You may not even want ot and just want to finish on time.
Either way you'll be the slow new kid and full timers will complain that you are coming in at 10 and geting same money as them.Part time hours plus a bit of ot wont make you get paid the same as them but they will think that for some reason :).
Soon you'll be taking 6 lots of leaflets that make bags stupidly heavy and you will get payed 12 quid for the trouble.
When you get home you'll ache and probably go to bed early.
Its hard work these days.I used to work on a building site and i never felt as bushed as i do now.

A thing which annoys me these days is this flexability crap.Just because they can't balance mail volumes,they expect me to work an hour over my time because monday and tuesday i made an hour (30 mins each day)(this wont happen a lot :) ).Thats all well and good but i didnt ask to finish early and its not really convenient to finsh late and walk round for 5 hours.
Complain and you are made to feel like you're not a team player and not pulling your weight.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: questions - Why is it hell?

Post by Lounge Lizard »

fishtank wrote:
jaylime wrote:I smell a troll. :hmmmm
I smell burgers....next door are havin a BBQ. :chuckle
Or the wind's in the wrong direction and it's a busy day at the Pet Crematorium. :shock: :sad: :shock:
brothermagrew
Posts: 3015
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 16:38
Gender: Male
Location: Shares a border with England to the south.

Re: questions - Why is it hell?

Post by brothermagrew »

Pony as far as I know the CWU have never officially entertained this Royal Mail concept of team players, but I could be wrong.
"Today’s workplace has become heartless and soulless. Employees are seen as units of labour, automatons, functionaries, objects for achieving designated tasks, and as costs to be minimised."
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72773
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: questions - Why is it hell?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Lounge Lizard wrote:
fishtank wrote:
jaylime wrote:I smell a troll. :hmmmm
I smell burgers....next door are havin a BBQ. :chuckle
Or the wind's in the wrong direction and it's a busy day at the Pet Crematorium. :shock: :sad: :shock:
Only last week we cremated a relative of mine - but don't worry I still had a chuckle at that :chuckle :chuckle :chuckle :chuckle (am I evil :hmmmm )
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32819
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: questions - Why is it hell?

Post by POSTMAN »

pony wrote:
Jevster wrote:I've been doing this job 2 and half years and am still looking for something else!

The main problems as I see it are that they are piling more and more work on you - but still expect you to do it in the same time, and that when you do go over they try their best to make you feel like you are taking the piss and have no right to expect to be paid more.

The job itself would be ok if not for the shambolic way the company is run and the bullying approach of the managers.
This is it really.
You'll walk in and you will have to finish prepping your walk.
Van driver will have gone awol and you'll be sat about 30 mins waiting.It will be counted as your break,even though you can't relax cos you think he will be back any minute.
You'll have a 4 hour + round,plus you'll prob have to take 10 mins of a lasped walk and you'll finish an hour after you're finish time.
Manager will think you're tossing it off and make you feel bad about claiming ot.You may not even want ot and just want to finish on time.
Either way you'll be the slow new kid and full timers will complain that you are coming in at 10 and geting same money as them.Part time hours plus a bit of ot wont make you get paid the same as them but they will think that for some reason :).
Soon you'll be taking 6 lots of leaflets that make bags stupidly heavy and you will get payed 12 quid for the trouble.
When you get home you'll ache and probably go to bed early.
Its hard work these days.I used to work on a building site and i never felt as bushed as i do now.

A thing which annoys me these days is this flexability crap.Just because they can't balance mail volumes,they expect me to work an hour over my time because monday and tuesday i made an hour (30 mins each day)(this wont happen a lot :) ).Thats all well and good but i didnt ask to finish early and its not really convenient to finsh late and walk round for 5 hours.
Complain and you are made to feel like you're not a team player and not pulling your weight.
You're being mugged pony.That is wrong,ask the manager to show you where this is in the P&M agreement.
If he can't which he deffo can't tell him to f**k off.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.