ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Language on this Forum

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Jenny Manchester
Posts: 138
Joined: 10 Jan 2010, 17:12
Gender: Female

Re: Language on this Forum

Post by Jenny Manchester »

fishtank wrote:
Jenny Manchester wrote:I have found a lot of people are using very foul mouth language on this forum, is this really necessary, its especially aimed at car users. I personally think if people want to use their cars let them, they know the circumstances, we don’t need tell them or educate them or use abusive language from people that can only just ride a bike with staplelisers on it to eff and jeff at car users.
What people do forget is that some car users might have to break off their walk to take a child to school etc. please think before you hit the send key folks

I'm a bit confused with this post.
Is it about foul language, is it about personal abuse on the forum or is it about using private cars on delivery?
Foul language i have no problem with although i do appreciate not every one feels the same way so i try to keep it to a minimum.
Personal abuse i have no time for although to be honest i have seen very little of it on this forum.
Using private cars on delivery..No i don't accept it and your example of taking your child to school during your work hours does not sit well either. :nervous
Typical Single Male ..
Jenny Manchester
Posts: 138
Joined: 10 Jan 2010, 17:12
Gender: Female

Re: Language on this Forum

Post by Jenny Manchester »

muckyboots wrote:
Jenny Manchester wrote:I have found a lot of people are using very foul mouth language on this forum, is this really necessary, its especially aimed at car users. I personally think if people want to use their cars let them, they know the circumstances, we don’t need tell them or educate them or use abusive language from people that can only just ride a bike with staplelisers on it to eff and jeff at car users.
What people do forget is that some car users might have to break off their walk to take a child to school etc. please think before you hit the send key folks


I was told when I was employed by royal mail that I would be working in a 'male-dominated' environment. This was given to me with a lot of shrugging and eyebrow twitching; basically if you can't stand the heat etc etc. I've always considered this forum the same.

and what utter ... baubles to say 'some car users' might have to break off from their walk. jeez louise. ('you' here is used as me making an example, not personal) would you just walk out of work if you were sat at a till in the supermarket or on reception because you had to collect your kid? You know what your working hours are BEFORE you start a job. and anything after your working day you either book or cut off. don't think just because you're unsupervised you can do what you like. I hate this 'kid' excuse it doesn't wash with me.

... I keep thinking I should get knocked up to have an easy life :left:
Stupid Person saying >> would you just walk out of work if you were sat at a till in the supermarket or on reception because you had to collect your kid? You know what your working hours are BEFORE you start a job.
There is a procedure at Royal Mail where you can break off from your walk not necassary car on delivery but anytime to collect your children as long as yoyu return and complete your walk, this must be agreed with your D.O.M.. Typical stupid single males with no children making silly comments...
Last edited by TrueBlueTerrier on 04 Jun 2010, 16:27, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please try and not comment in the middle of your quotes people will not be able to read them
chunk
Posts: 957
Joined: 29 Jul 2009, 20:21
Gender: Male

Re: Language on this Forum

Post by chunk »

I disagree with the use of personal cars.
Thats an opinion and a statement of fact as to what i believe.not a personal attack.!
On the other hand stating that people who hold that opinion ride bikes with staplisers
is an attack (see the difference) i also choose not accuse you of poor education or stupidity just because your spelling failed you.
a typo is just that.
Also im sure you didn't mean to imply that fishtank was single.....unloved or unlovable :sad:
wow! your out of control! girl :crazy: with these personal attacks!

id better lie down in a darkened room :shhhhh
im shocked to the core.
I'm a postman-and i know where you live.....
billyhayes
POST OFFICE
Posts: 456
Joined: 05 Aug 2007, 00:50
Gender: Female

Re: Language on this Forum

Post by billyhayes »

So... Lets see here.... Hmmmm. :hmmmm

Ok. Here goes...

Jenny is a postperson. :Applause

Jenny is a car driver. :Applause

Jenny uses her car on delivery. :crazy: :dance :roll: :d'oh! :no no :arrrghhh

Jenny has most probably dropped off/picked up on the school run.. DURING DUTY TIME! :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh

But it seems very odd that this scenario was mentioned in the OP as 'just an example'.

Usually, an individual will use their own 'life experiences' as 'just an example', ie, "not me, but a friend of mine..."

I would even go as far to say that;
Jenny was caught off route,
during duty time,
in a car,
by a fellow postperson,
who was on a bike,
(without stabilisers),
who most likely made a comment that Jenny didn't like...

And here we all are!

I could be wrong on any or all of the above. And if I am... Well... I don't care. :dance :dance

There's an 83% likelihood that I am correct. :cool

I thought long and hard before I hit the send key. Did you?
islfor
Posts: 380
Joined: 26 Aug 2008, 19:27
Gender: Male
Location: Scotland

Re: Language on this Forum

Post by islfor »

Jenny was a friend of mine !!
baldrick
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 5038
Joined: 13 Sep 2007, 23:37
Gender: Male

Re: Language on this Forum

Post by baldrick »

islfor wrote:Jenny was a friend of mine !!
Was?? :hmmmm
andy2007
Posts: 3971
Joined: 14 Sep 2007, 10:16
Gender: Male
Location: Earth

Re: Language on this Forum

Post by andy2007 »

Ok, let's look at a few of the points in this thread:
1) Foul language: Yes, it's used all the time in the Canteen, and whilst we're working too. Which is why we don't interfere, unless it starts to cause offence. But to suggest that someone simply doesn't read a particular thread, because there's foul language in it, is going too far. There's often important information in the threads, which would be missed, if someone simply stopped reading it because of the language. :hmmmm
2) Personal attacks: If something is obviously a personal attack, we intervene as soon as we see it. Although attacks on an entire group of people (in this case car users), within reason are ok. So long as people don't get too offended by it. Because it's not personal.
3) The rights and wrongs of car use: Well that's being debated elsewhere, so we don't need to go into it in this thread. Although personally, I'm against it. Because although I don't work in Deliveries (I work indoors), I do work with Logistics every day. So the problems are obvious to me from that background, even though I don't have personal experience of it happening. :hmmmm
4) If we believe that someone is being oversensitive with a Report, we'll PM them to explain why we haven't intervened. But in my experience, this is incredibly rare. Invariably Reports are made in good faith, and are acted upon.
5) Criticising people for being easily offended by bad language: It takes all types of people to make a community, and there's NOTHING wrong with people objecting to bad language. Even if they report someone for using that kind of language. It doesn't mean that it'll result in a Warning, or worse. It usually just results in the post being edited/deleted, and a polite request for someone to be a bit more careful about the tone of their posts in the future.
Don't knock Insanity
it's just another outlook on Reality!
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Language on this Forum

Post by fishtank »

Jenny Manchester wrote:
fishtank wrote:
I'm a bit confused with this post.
Is it about foul language, is it about personal abuse on the forum or is it about using private cars on delivery?
Foul language i have no problem with although i do appreciate not every one feels the same way so i try to keep it to a minimum.
Personal abuse i have no time for although to be honest i have seen very little of it on this forum.
Using private cars on delivery..No i don't accept it and your example of taking your child to school during your work hours does not sit well either. :nervous

Typical Single Male ...
:shock:

I had better hide this post from my wife and three kids but at least you got my gender correct.
Be careful with a closed mind Jenny,it sometimes helps to open the doors and let a few fresh ideas in. :cuppa
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Language on this Forum

Post by fishtank »

baldrick wrote:
islfor wrote:Jenny was a friend of mine !!
Was?? :hmmmm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Pgnt6pDCyY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72773
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Language on this Forum

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

clashcityrocker wrote:
DGP1 wrote:
Me first :Very Happy but don't tell dvb, he'll just get jealous :nervous
I didn't realise you swung both ways.
Only when the wind gets up :left: :left:
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72773
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Language on this Forum

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Jenny Manchester wrote:I have found a lot of people are using very foul mouth language on this forum, is this really necessary,
Jenny Manchester wrote:I Stupid Person saying >>

Image
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
muckyboots
Posts: 82
Joined: 11 Sep 2009, 19:53
Gender: Female

Re: Language on this Forum

Post by muckyboots »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
Jenny Manchester wrote:I have found a lot of people are using very foul mouth language on this forum, is this really necessary,
Jenny Manchester wrote:I Stupid Person saying >>

Image
yeah, thanks TBT. I will utter a few choice words here and there, but I find being called 'stupid' even more offensive than being swore at.

also, I'm not male. I should be offended by that, too. don't be ignorant jenny darling, it's so unbecoming of a 'typical female'
ashadd
Posts: 605
Joined: 03 Oct 2008, 20:20
Gender: Male

Re: Language on this Forum

Post by ashadd »

Jenny Manchester wrote:I have found a lot of people are using very foul mouth language on this forum, is this really necessary, its especially aimed at car users. I personally think if people want to use their cars let them, they know the circumstances, we don’t need tell them or educate them or use abusive language from people that can only just ride a bike with staplelisers on it to eff and jeff at car users.
What people do forget is that some car users might have to break off their walk to take a child to school etc. please think before you hit the send key folks
What the f**k is a stapleiser....????????? :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
I married my wife for her looks, but not the one she gave me when i said i was going to be a postman.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Language on this Forum

Post by Lounge Lizard »

andy2007 wrote:We normally don't interfere, unless the language gets excessive, or the posts include blatent personal attacks. However, if anyone sees a post which they think is inappropriate in any way (language, attitude of poster, includes personal attacks, etc..) then just click the "Report" button, and we'll sort it out as quickly as possible.

The reason that we rely on people using the "Report" button, rather than taking action whenever such language is used. Is that it's just the way that many people talk, when discussing the same things on their breaks. But if it begins to cause anyone offence, then we will deal with it ASAP.
I'm sure the best thing would be for you to provide us with a list of the naughty words that we shouldn't be using on here. :nana
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Language on this Forum

Post by Lounge Lizard »

Jenny Manchester wrote:
muckyboots wrote:
Jenny Manchester wrote:I have found a lot of people are using very foul mouth language on this forum, is this really necessary, its especially aimed at car users. I personally think if people want to use their cars let them, they know the circumstances, we don’t need tell them or educate them or use abusive language from people that can only just ride a bike with staplelisers on it to eff and jeff at car users.
What people do forget is that some car users might have to break off their walk to take a child to school etc. please think before you hit the send key folks


I was told when I was employed by royal mail that I would be working in a 'male-dominated' environment. This was given to me with a lot of shrugging and eyebrow twitching; basically if you can't stand the heat etc etc. I've always considered this forum the same.

and what utter ... baubles to say 'some car users' might have to break off from their walk. jeez louise. ('you' here is used as me making an example, not personal) would you just walk out of work if you were sat at a till in the supermarket or on reception because you had to collect your kid? You know what your working hours are BEFORE you start a job. and anything after your working day you either book or cut off. don't think just because you're unsupervised you can do what you like. I hate this 'kid' excuse it doesn't wash with me.

... I keep thinking I should get knocked up to have an easy life :left:
Stupid Person saying >> would you just walk out of work if you were sat at a till in the supermarket or on reception because you had to collect your kid? You know what your working hours are BEFORE you start a job.
There is a procedure at Royal Mail where you can break off from your walk not necassary car on delivery but anytime to collect your children as long as yoyu return and complete your walk, this must be agreed with your D.O.M.. Typical stupid single males with no children making silly comments...
I've never heard of such a procedure, and even if one exists it would make it impossible for me to do Special Deliveries on time and complete delivery by 2pm town or 3pm rural. :sad: I used to take my daughter to school and collect her from it but to do that I chose a job where the hours were totally my choice, not one where we're meant, still I think, to be providing something of a decent level of service to the public. :sad: