ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

New Routine

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
thevardinator
Posts: 165
Joined: 12 Apr 2010, 16:21
Gender: Male

Re: New Routine

Post by thevardinator »

That's it, I just want to know my rights from the rep, who unfortunately has been on holiday for 3 weeks!

There are a few things going on at the minute that I'm not happy with and could do with the rep by my side when I air any issues.
STAND TOGETHER IN THE FIGHT.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72773
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: New Routine

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

thevardinator wrote:That's it, I just want to know my rights from the rep, who unfortunately has been on holiday for 3 weeks!

There are a few things going on at the minute that I'm not happy with and could do with the rep by my side when I air any issues.
If your rep is absent check the notice board for the Area Delivery Reps contact details and get advice from him.

However, although perhaps some have been a bit forthright but all the advice needed has been given.

1. You cannot be forced to work overtime if you do not want to.
2. Inform your Manager you cannot complete as soon as you aware that you cannot complete.
3. If you think there is not going to be a lift then call the manager at the point that gives you enough time to walk back and advise him you cannot complete and why.
4. Before you leave advise the manager you will call and to make sure there is a lift and if not you will not be able to complete.
5. If this plan fails then you can put a grievance in against the manager. However, to help you in that make sure you start a diary and enter in it every conversation you have with the manager including date and time.

BTW it would be naive to not expect consequences from doing the above, but if you are in the right and always do things correctly and to the best of your ability then there is nothing they can do as long as you follow their rules. This is what I think Bogstandard meant - you can get as much support and advice from the rep as is available but at some point its the individual that has to do the hard things, the rep cannot do it all, and he certainly cant make you stand up for your rights, you have to do it.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32819
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: New Routine

Post by POSTMAN »

The problem here is and it ALWAYS is is that thevardinator is a newbie and we know what s**t they have to put up with to get through their trial periods.

But what is the office doing about it when the rep is off. :roll:
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
bogstandard
Posts: 1074
Joined: 08 Nov 2007, 06:16

Re: New Routine

Post by bogstandard »

Patrick Clifton wrote: Surely thats a bit of a daft comment. If he is paying union dues, surely this enables him to seek guidance from the rep?!
reading the last paragraph of the initial post it seems as though they have made absolutely no effort to resolve this themselves.
Although this may be wrong there is nothing to support this view.
what is daft about trying to resolve this themselves ?
they didnt say they wanted guidance they said they wanted their duty to stop being lapsed and the rep has got to do this. Honestly, from a business point, is this realistic given the information we have ?

part of being a member of this union is to act in the interests of the union, to support and promote it and not bring it into disrepute.
I volunteered to be rep, i volunteer a large chunk of my spare time to read agreements, just as i will presume does theirs. No i do not think it unreasonable (or daft) to ask any member what they have done thus far to try and resolve their issue(s)
Last edited by TrueBlueTerrier on 03 Jun 2010, 10:11, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: you deleted the " and the ] which made the quote feature fail.
Confused... You won't be, after the next episode of. SOAP
thevardinator
Posts: 165
Joined: 12 Apr 2010, 16:21
Gender: Male

Re: New Routine

Post by thevardinator »

I actually went and tried to resolve issues this morning and was completely ignored by 3 managers.

I have a 25 hour contract, and I said to them that they were forcing me to do more than that (will end up about 40 this week), they just shrugged there shoulders and told me to get on with it. I also asked them on the spot if they could get me a lift back from my round, which is 2.5+ miles away, they said no.

I didn't know that a company could force overtime on somebody, others on here have said they cant, well they are to me.

So I've actually put my foot down and got absolutely nowhere.
STAND TOGETHER IN THE FIGHT.
muckyboots
Posts: 82
Joined: 11 Sep 2009, 19:53
Gender: Female

Re: New Routine

Post by muckyboots »

smokerjim wrote:
There is no agreement for it between RM & CWU - it is enshrined in law, it would be a change to your employment contract "by implication" ( magic phrase ), ergo, if the employer has asked you to start at 5am instead of 7am, and they have maintained this for 13 weeks, and you have acceeded to that change for those 13 weeks, your new start time will in future be 5am.
this can't be true ... if it were thousands of AGs would legally receive full time contracts immediately. can you provide an external link?
thevardinator
Posts: 165
Joined: 12 Apr 2010, 16:21
Gender: Male

Re: New Routine

Post by thevardinator »

I managed to speak to my Union rep this morning and it seems like I've got it sorted.

I explained to him what happened, and now I should be back on my 25 hour contract, with no prepping and no lapsing.

I just hope they dont put this down on my record as "unwilling to do overtime" or something to make me look bad!
STAND TOGETHER IN THE FIGHT.
jack
Posts: 299
Joined: 28 Aug 2007, 14:32

Re: New Routine

Post by jack »

thevardinator wrote:I managed to speak to my Union rep this morning and it seems like I've got it sorted.

I explained to him what happened, and now I should be back on my 25 hour contract, with no prepping and no lapsing.

I just hope they dont put this down on my record as "unwilling to do overtime" or something to make me look bad!
It's all part of the royal mail con, these p/t contracts. They expect you to naturally work over your contracted hours, constsantly making you feel guilty for telling them your not working over. For p/timers on floating duties this must be hell, not knowing what your going into on a daily basis, i wonder how many doms, linos work past their time?

Bollox to them if you don't want overtime don't do it, i don't :speak to the hand
'Royal Mail leaders could not lead a worm, they'll never take our pride cos that's what we earn'
jockstrapp
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 970
Joined: 28 Mar 2009, 17:58
Gender: Male

Re: New Routine

Post by jockstrapp »

jack wrote:
thevardinator wrote:I managed to speak to my Union rep this morning and it seems like I've got it sorted.

I explained to him what happened, and now I should be back on my 25 hour contract, with no prepping and no lapsing.

I just hope they dont put this down on my record as "unwilling to do overtime" or something to make me look bad!
It's all part of the royal mail con, these p/t contracts. They expect you to naturally work over your contracted hours, constsantly making you feel guilty for telling them your not working over. For p/timers on floating duties this must be hell, not knowing what your going into on a daily basis, i wonder how many doms, linos work past their time?

Bollox to them if you don't want overtime don't do it, i don't :speak to the hand
The question should be HOW MANY WORK THEIR TIME
Richie89
Posts: 151
Joined: 16 Apr 2009, 23:10
Gender: Male

Re: New Routine

Post by Richie89 »

POSTMAN wrote:Answer these,AND have you spoken to your rep. was dragged in the office and told not to do it again and that all mail must be delivered or I'll be getting a warning. :no no

1st why do you come back to the office.

2nd depending on the answer,DEMAND a lift back or cut off early to get back IN DUTY TIME.
I work in a fairly large DO where we finish after pouching off at a post office.

I have worked in a smaller, rural DO with about 15 walks and 10 rurals where everyone has to return to the office after delivery unless you've got nothing to bring back. Doesnt really matter that much as almost everyone with more than 15 minutes walk back to the office has a van anyway.