ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Postal workers and spelling.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
hampshireman
Posts: 792
Joined: 18 Dec 2009, 15:17
Gender: Male

Re: Postal workers and spelling.

Post by hampshireman »

Postman Plodd wrote:Pedant mode on:

Its 'must HAVE' not 'must of'. You are mistaking the sound of the contraction 'must've'

Pedant mode off.

I feel better now.

No doubt i'll be hoisted with my own petard for this.
I always thought it was foisted

But i'm probably wrong :Very Happy

Actually ; I am probably wrong

Indeed very wrong

I must go and have a shower
TeeferTiger
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2783
Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
Gender: Female
Location: Welsh Wales

Re: Postal workers and spelling.

Post by TeeferTiger »

There's nothing wrong with my spelling!
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
proper postie
Posts: 328
Joined: 11 Mar 2010, 18:26
Gender: Male

Re: Postal workers and spelling.

Post by proper postie »

Image
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Re: Postal workers and spelling.

Post by NewPostieUK »

Some people just refuse to read over what they've written before there they push the submit button.

I know if you don't know the difference between their and there reading over what you've written won't help, but some posts have to be read 2 or 3 times before you can make any sense of them.

Also, the rules clearly state no 'text speak'. I hate seeing posts riddled with 'U' and '2' and vowels missing (I even hate texts like that!)

And then there's El Cartero . . .
Steviea34
Posts: 474
Joined: 10 Apr 2009, 10:44
Gender: Male

Re: Postal workers and spelling.

Post by Steviea34 »

DOM has same problem with maths i think - overtime's always wrong :Very Happy :Very Happy :Very Happy
jaylime
Posts: 331
Joined: 09 Jan 2009, 10:27
Gender: Male

Re: Postal workers and spelling.

Post by jaylime »

I must look like a right tit now with my mistakes in there,but in general you can understand what it says.Some posts on here are unreadable.Heres two examples.

1.What being spelt waht

2.And the best one I have seen yet.Individual spelt induvidal.
venger
Posts: 206
Joined: 09 Oct 2007, 13:38

Re: Postal workers and spelling.

Post by venger »

My spelling and grammar are rather good if I do say so myself.
Good spelling and grammar is VERY important, even if this is 'just a forum'.
proper postie
Posts: 328
Joined: 11 Mar 2010, 18:26
Gender: Male

Re: Postal workers and spelling.

Post by proper postie »

venger wrote:My spelling and grammar are rather good if I do say so myself.
Good spelling and grammar is VERY important, even if this is 'just a forum'.
You're taking the piss right?
venger
Posts: 206
Joined: 09 Oct 2007, 13:38

Re: Postal workers and spelling.

Post by venger »

proper postie wrote:
venger wrote:My spelling and grammar are rather good if I do say so myself.
Good spelling and grammar is VERY important, even if this is 'just a forum'.
You're taking the piss right?
No. You need a BASIC level of spelling and grammar. How can you hope to get your point across if you can't even spell correctly or use the correct words?
No punctuation can make a post hard to read and understand.
There
Their
They're
Where
Were
We're

All different words and mean different things. THIS is my #1 gripe.
I'm not saying you have to be perect, just take five seconds to check you've used the right word and spelt it correctly.
Oh, and WALL OF TEXT is never good.
Doone
Posts: 85
Joined: 03 Jun 2009, 18:14
Gender: Male

Re: Postal workers and spelling.

Post by Doone »

know sutch problums with speling or grammor arownd our offiseholmsey
Offline

niece 1 holmsey
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Postal workers and spelling.

Post by fishtank »

venger wrote:
proper postie wrote:
venger wrote:My spelling and grammar are rather good if I do say so myself.
Good spelling and grammar is VERY important, even if this is 'just a forum'.
You're taking the piss right?
No. You need a BASIC level of spelling and grammar. How can you hope to get your point across if you can't even spell correctly or use the correct words?
No punctuation can make a post hard to read and understand.
There
Their
They're
Where
Were
We're

All different words and mean different things. THIS is my #1 gripe.
I'm not saying you have to be perect, just take five seconds to check you've used the right word and spelt it correctly.
Oh, and WALL OF TEXT is never good.
1,2,3,4,5. :chuckle
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32819
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Postal workers and spelling.

Post by POSTMAN »

A lot of people on here get to & too mixed up.

I'm not perfect,if i think it's dodgy i google it,i always preview my posts anyway,and i alway edit even after i've posted.

But personally it doesn't bother me the odd spelling mistake in a post i read,but we've had some bastard ones on here though!
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Postal workers and spelling.

Post by fishtank »

Lose and loose are the most popular spelling mistakes on this forum. :chuckle
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
DemonPostie
Posts: 227
Joined: 21 Jan 2009, 21:37
Gender: Male

Re: Postal workers and spelling.

Post by DemonPostie »

Postman Plodd wrote:Pedant mode on:

Its 'must HAVE' not 'must of'. You are mistaking the sound of the contraction 'must've'

Pedant mode off.

But surely in pedant mode you would have remembered the apostraphe in "It's"?

I, however, make no claims to correct grammar or spelling, so don't bother pointing out my foibles.
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Postal workers and spelling.

Post by krussel »

Well I guess it matters and I must admit this text talk sometimes breaks my head and I end up asking my 14 yr old step daughter for help.

To me personally as long as I can generally understand the main points in someone’s post then that’s fine by me. I think its more important that folks get their views and ideas across clearly more than worry about totally perfect grammar.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........