ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Getting the school holidays as your annual leave
-
DGP1
- Posts: 15551
- Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
- Gender: Male
- Location: Terminus
Re: Getting the school holidays as your annual leave
TBH I try to have my leave when the kids are at school, nothing worse than getting woke up by your kids on your week off.....................although with them now passing onto teenagers it's now much less of a problem 
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Getting the school holidays as your annual leave
lainey wrote:your telling me fishtank say you have been there 10yrs someone else 10 weeks they get 2 weeks holiday july that you wanted maybe even a delivery you wanted you wouldnt say f**k all about it ( no seniority ) dont bloody think so
You can say what the f**k you like about it lainey.
I'm just telling you you can't DO anything about it.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
number one
- Posts: 1324
- Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
- Gender: Male
Re: Getting the school holidays as your annual leave
Just to let you now I am all for seniority. Its the ONLY way most things can be sorted out in Royal Mail. I only have 11 years service so im not just saying that because im top of the tree, theres plenty of people above me but.........
it could actually be classed as age discrimination, think about it
Person A: is 55 years old and has been a postie for 30 years (He is top of the seniority list)
Person B: is 25 years old and has been a postie for 5 years (He is near the bottom of the seniority list)
Now because of persons B's age he could not possibly of worked the same lenghth of time as person A has. His age goes against him, this in turn then counts him out of getting any duties that become available.
it could actually be classed as age discrimination, think about it
Person A: is 55 years old and has been a postie for 30 years (He is top of the seniority list)
Person B: is 25 years old and has been a postie for 5 years (He is near the bottom of the seniority list)
Now because of persons B's age he could not possibly of worked the same lenghth of time as person A has. His age goes against him, this in turn then counts him out of getting any duties that become available.
-
Acca Dacca
- Posts: 3233
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
- Gender: Male
Re: Getting the school holidays as your annual leave
I agree with seniority to an extent and certainly dont blame my fellow posties for the shite holidays ive got - though I gather a few will have june/july holidays and do eff all with em and could have easily swapped with someone who is actually wanting to go on holiday.
Problem is unlike say a job in a shop which the majority of people my age have Royal Mail cant do what they do and recruit extra staff over the summer while their regulars have a holiday as the place would be a mess so us ''newbies'' and spares need to cover which I understand.
Still doesnt make it any less s**t though. I'll be an old man by the time I get a july holiday!
Problem is unlike say a job in a shop which the majority of people my age have Royal Mail cant do what they do and recruit extra staff over the summer while their regulars have a holiday as the place would be a mess so us ''newbies'' and spares need to cover which I understand.
Still doesnt make it any less s**t though. I'll be an old man by the time I get a july holiday!
Last edited by Acca Dacca on 05 Feb 2010, 18:54, edited 1 time in total.
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Getting the school holidays as your annual leave
number one wrote:Just to let you now I am all for seniority. Its the ONLY way most things can be sorted out in Royal Mail. I only have 11 years service so im not just saying that because im top of the tree, theres plenty of people above me but.........
it could actually be classed as age discrimination, think about it
Person A: is 55 years old and has been a postie for 30 years (He is top of the seniority list)
Person B: is 25 years old and has been a postie for 5 years (He is near the bottom of the seniority list)
Now because of persons B's age he could not possibly of worked the same lenghth of time as person A has. His age goes against him, this in turn then counts him out of getting any duties that become available.
It's one of the strange anomalies of the CWU that the use of seniority is unacceptable for leave selection but acceptable for duty selection.
I can't make this any plainer THE USE OF SENIORITY FOR LEAVE SELECTION is NOT allowed in Royal Mail.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
Postie558
- Posts: 113
- Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 22:00
- Gender: Male
- Location: East Midlands
Re: Getting the school holidays as your annual leave
I'd love to go back to leave picked in seniority order.
When I started 20 years ago, still in my teens, I accepted that my summer holidays would probably be in June or September, but it didn't bother me particularly, because there were blokes there much older than me, with kids at school, who needed the time off in school holidays.
I had just reached the stage where I was senior enough to pretty much guarantee time off in the summer, when the Way Forward came in and wiped it out. Luckily, in my position on our rolling list, I started quite low down and am working my way up, but in three or four years I'll be at the bottom again. So, 24 years with the company by then (if I'm still here...
) and probably no chance of time off in the summer for the rest of the time my son is at school...
I used to regularly have 'spirited discussions' with someone who, although 20 years or so older than me, was less senior. He always used to say "Just because I've not been here as long as you, why should I have crap holidays?" Which I used to turn round by saying "Why should I have crap holidays when I've been here longer than you?"!
To me, seniority is the fairest way of rewarding an employee for their loyalty to the company. Says it all really...
When I started 20 years ago, still in my teens, I accepted that my summer holidays would probably be in June or September, but it didn't bother me particularly, because there were blokes there much older than me, with kids at school, who needed the time off in school holidays.
I had just reached the stage where I was senior enough to pretty much guarantee time off in the summer, when the Way Forward came in and wiped it out. Luckily, in my position on our rolling list, I started quite low down and am working my way up, but in three or four years I'll be at the bottom again. So, 24 years with the company by then (if I'm still here...
I used to regularly have 'spirited discussions' with someone who, although 20 years or so older than me, was less senior. He always used to say "Just because I've not been here as long as you, why should I have crap holidays?" Which I used to turn round by saying "Why should I have crap holidays when I've been here longer than you?"!
To me, seniority is the fairest way of rewarding an employee for their loyalty to the company. Says it all really...
-
creedscat
- Posts: 219
- Joined: 22 Oct 2009, 15:46
- Gender: Male
Re: Getting the school holidays as your annual leave
I can assure you i graft pal. Have done for the 5 years ive been here,yet when i tried to get 2 weeks off last year for the 6 weeks i was told i could'nt cause someone with more seniority wanted them EVEN though i asked 2 weeks before them. I then said to the gaffer i'll have any 2 weeks of the 6 and he told me i would have to go around and ask people he had given them to to swap with me, joke!! Every other company i have worked for its worked on a first come first served basis, but not at RM??lainey wrote:whatever twat its probably your kind that have f****d the job up anyway as for putting my foot up your arse dont think i want to get my new cat shoes covered in s**t but thanks anyway
We all do the same job and get paid the same would'nt you agree lainy????
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Getting the school holidays as your annual leave
[quote="creedscat"]when i tried to get 2 weeks off last year for the 6 weeks i was told i could'nt cause someone with more seniority wanted them EVEN though i asked 2 weeks before them.
IF this is exactly what happened then i would see your rep.
As i have already explained THE USE OF SENIORITY FOR LEAVE SELECTION is NOT allowed in Royal Mail.

IF this is exactly what happened then i would see your rep.
As i have already explained THE USE OF SENIORITY FOR LEAVE SELECTION is NOT allowed in Royal Mail.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
woofwoof
- Posts: 1516
- Joined: 13 Apr 2007, 16:23
- Gender: Male
- Location: stinky land
Re: Getting the school holidays as your annual leave
fishtank wrote:lainey wrote:i would love somebody to say stick your seniority up your arse i would stick my foot up theirs ! we dont work for years for someone whose ink isnt even dry to get better shifts better holidays than me dont f***ing think so !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It is against both union and company policy to use seniority to pick annual leave.This is set out in the Way Forward Agreement.
seniority all the way for me i had to take the s**t holiday leave when i started maybe thats why we are in the state WE ARE NOW
-
infidel
- Posts: 284
- Joined: 09 Oct 2009, 19:03
- Gender: Male
Re: Getting the school holidays as your annual leave
lainey off on holiday in july [again,5th year]to florida this time its good to be a senior postie like you,could maybe get
creedscat up to my office to help out the junior boys and girls while on hols,hope weve not upset him,i mean we have
earned it.

creedscat up to my office to help out the junior boys and girls while on hols,hope weve not upset him,i mean we have
earned it.
-
creedscat
- Posts: 219
- Joined: 22 Oct 2009, 15:46
- Gender: Male
Re: Getting the school holidays as your annual leave
That what happened and still happens at our office. We have too many people who think they are better than everybody else,the gaffers included,therefore the gaffers give into them and let them have time off when they want,opt out of absortion when they want which happened the other day and i ended up doing 2 days worth on the tuesday cause this bloke wanted to go out early and do his merge/overtime instead. Seriously some of the s**t that goes on is out of order. No wonder morale is low when some people can pick and choose what they wanna do. Its the same with the overtime, they always get first pick/choice and stitch up someone else by leaving extra roads in for thier part of the merge.fishtank wrote:creedscat wrote:when i tried to get 2 weeks off last year for the 6 weeks i was told i could'nt cause someone with more seniority wanted them EVEN though i asked 2 weeks before them.
IF this is exactly what happened then i would see your rep.
As i have already explained THE USE OF SENIORITY FOR LEAVE SELECTION is NOT allowed in Royal Mail.![]()
As for our rep, no need, he aint any use either, the gaffers dont take him seriously.
-
creedscat
- Posts: 219
- Joined: 22 Oct 2009, 15:46
- Gender: Male
Re: Getting the school holidays as your annual leave
Another bell end.infidel wrote:lainey off on holiday in july [again,5th year]to florida this time its good to be a senior postie like you,could maybe get
creedscat up to my office to help out the junior boys and girls while on hols,hope weve not upset him,i mean we have
earned it.![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
TRUEBLUETERRIER - MODERATORS POST - THIS TYPE OF POST IS AGAINST THE RULES AS ARE OTHERS THAT HAVE BEEN DELETED - ANY MORE AND 24 HOUR BANS WILL BE USED.
-
lainey
- Posts: 178
- Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 22:49
- Gender: Female
Re: Getting the school holidays as your annual leave
without trying to make you feel small creedcat take it your p/t keep the cool you will get f/t sooner or later , bet you wish you had rep like ours seniority all the way
barbados for me this year infidel july 
-
Acca Dacca
- Posts: 3233
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
- Gender: Male
Re: Getting the school holidays as your annual leave
Thats out of order guys
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
-
infidel
- Posts: 284
- Joined: 09 Oct 2009, 19:03
- Gender: Male
Re: Getting the school holidays as your annual leave
yes with 25 years service ,new cats and senior to you ,dont you just luv it.
ps do you want me to send you my fleece and waterproofs for when you go on holiday.
summer time and the livin is EASY.

ps do you want me to send you my fleece and waterproofs for when you go on holiday.
summer time and the livin is EASY.