ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Royal Mail Worst Company I've Worked For

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Judgee
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2262
Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18

Re: Royal Mail Worst Company I've Worked For

Post by Judgee »

Yes RM is a really bad company to work for, but in most jobs you start off at the bottom. Pretty much everyone has gone through the same crap you are going through now. It gets a little easier as you work your way up through the seniority list but even then it's still s**t, just not as s**t as when you start. So how would you like things to be? Walk straight in and get the cushiest rounds? Tough it out out and eventually it will improve or quit its your choice. But don't moan about how unfair it all is... you are not in a unique position and those posties laughing at you as they go past have all been through the same crap. Believe me they have all earned the right to be in a better postion than you... they probably all moaned like bitches when they started too :speak to the hand
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
Dee Plish
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 282
Joined: 04 Aug 2009, 18:05
Gender: Male
Location: Atop many steps

Re: Royal Mail Worst Company I've Worked For

Post by Dee Plish »

DirtyHarry wrote:I hate my job, I hate having to do it, but do it I must. Royal Mail has become a terrible employer to work for. It hasn't an ounce of respect for it's workers, management isn't just Dickensian, they pre-date Dickens, they'd have us tramping the streets for 12hrs if they could, they believe they're employees are lazy, they're employees don't work hard enough, don't work fast enough. Our millionaire bosses also believe that the humble postie on around 20k a year, is overpaid, and underworked. Nothing is ever enough, letters makes it's first profit, around £50million, for decades, still not good enough, we must have less workers, and those few that are left, must shoulder an almighty burden.

Believe me, if they're were more jobs around, I'd be off like a shot, but as it is, in a land now bereft of any industry, I will soldier on, but it doesn't, and it sure as hell won't, get any easier. Progress isn't for postal workers, not in Britain, so it would seem.

Very well said Sir.
muckyboots
Posts: 82
Joined: 11 Sep 2009, 19:53
Gender: Female

Re: Royal Mail Worst Company I've Worked For

Post by muckyboots »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
DGP1 wrote:
carlisle wrote:Bells my arse its macallan you need my friend :Very Happy :Very Happy
Balls, what you really need is Black Bush :Very Happy
Amen to that although I am partial to Glenfiddich as well
Alcohol doesn't solve anything! (although I will admit it's a good temporary solution, except when you're having to pound the streets with a pounding headache too) :Sick

anyways - i'm feeling the same as you, looking to get out of RM but don't let your stress-head advise you. I'm waiting for the job market to improve and while I'm at it doing a maths course to give me a better chance outside of this asylum. the good thing about despising my job is it's motivating me to do well in my course and though i'm knackered I always do a bit of homework so I can get a good grade.

so remember good things come to those who wait! :cuppa
el_cartero
Posts: 838
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 17:43
Gender: Male

Re: Royal Mail Worst Company I've Worked For

Post by el_cartero »

how long wood u expect "things to get better"

its unbearable when you first start ....

was thinking about getting a transfer to anothe roffice as there cant be a worse walk/area then the one i do !
one day part timers will have the same right as full timers
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72771
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Royal Mail Worst Company I've Worked For

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

el_cartero wrote:was thinking about getting a transfer to anothe roffice as there cant be a worse walk/area then the one i do !
Unfortunately you would think exactly the same thing when you transfer as you will probably be put on the worst duty there as well.

For me it took about 6 - 8 weeks to feel I was doing OK, about 1 year to get my own duty, and I still think I have the worst duty in the office (but everyone does). TBH the only single thing that makes this job less stressful is the Words, "Sorry Boss I can't".

Once I learned not to go over except when it was convenient, and to come in on time and not worry about finishing early then the stress mostly went.

The hardest thing though is standing up for yourself, as it does not matter how good your rep is, ultimately its up to you to make a stand and stick to your guns.

If you need to Cut off then follow the guidelines in the overrunning deliveries thread and there is not much they can do except pressurize you, and this is the point you need to stand up for yourself.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Royal Mail Worst Company I've Worked For

Post by krussel »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Once I learned not to go over except when it was convenient, and to come in on time and not worry about finishing early then the stress mostly went.
This is so true :Applause

A lot of the stress is almost self created with trying to keep up with everyone rushing about. I am one of the last out now and back in again and it does not bother me one bit.

Cutting off can be tough if your in the minority so if your going to cut its best to get it over with early on and see your manager asap. That way it gives him more options and no one can say you did not warn them. :Very Happy
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
wolfie citizen smith
Posts: 599
Joined: 29 Oct 2007, 20:21
Gender: Male
Location: One of many who stands strong

Re: Royal Mail Worst Company I've Worked For

Post by wolfie citizen smith »

krussel wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Once I learned not to go over except when it was convenient, and to come in on time and not worry about finishing early then the stress mostly went.
This is so true :Applause

A lot of the stress is almost self created with trying to keep up with everyone rushing about. I am one of the last out now and back in again and it does not bother me one bit.

Cutting off can be tough if your in the minority so if your going to cut its best to get it over with early on and see your manager asap. That way it gives him more options and no one can say you did not warn them. :Very Happy
Well said sir :Applause
"ever get the feeling you've been cheated" John Lydon
Sapper
Posts: 2
Joined: 18 Jan 2010, 12:59
Gender: Male

Re: Royal Mail Worst Company I've Worked For

Post by Sapper »

Just like to thank everyone for the positive and the not so positive feed back, both helps believe me.

I have to admit since writing my first post I have managed to get back within my time two days on the trot, which is a plus I suppose. I know I'm lucky to have some sort of work, and I should be grateful, whats not helping is all the uncertainty in our office, with talk of walks getting bigger, park and loop, no more bikes, it make sme wonder if there will be any jobs in six months time to worry about.

Someone said the other day that all the bikes are being replaced with electric vans, and as the diesel vans need changing they will go electric too, Bloody hell they will have us delivering milk next.
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Royal Mail Worst Company I've Worked For

Post by krussel »

Sapper wrote:Bloody hell they will have us delivering milk next
Funny enough they once suggested we deliver bread, straight up. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
Prestonpete
Posts: 1
Joined: 18 Jan 2010, 20:19
Gender: Male

Re: Royal Mail Worst Company I've Worked For

Post by Prestonpete »

Sapper, no one is forcing you to stay at Royal Mail, if there that bad just leave and find another job.
So you have just started and have a bad round and guys who have been there years get it a little easier. If you'd been with the company 20 years you would think you've earned the chance to pick the round you want. Get over it or get out, Royal Mail may not be the best employer ever but trust me there are far worst !
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: Royal Mail Worst Company I've Worked For

Post by DGP1 »

Prestonpete wrote:Sapper, no one is forcing you to stay at Royal Mail, if there that bad just leave and find another job.
So you have just started and have a bad round and guys who have been there years get it a little easier. If you'd been with the company 20 years you would think you've earned the chance to pick the round you want. Get over it or get out, Royal Mail may not be the best employer ever but trust me there are far worst !
That's nice :roll: your first post is just to berate someone for having a moan....................and then you can't see the irony :roll:
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
DirtyHarry
Posts: 5051
Joined: 13 May 2007, 23:16
Gender: Male
Location: London

Re: Royal Mail Worst Company I've Worked For

Post by DirtyHarry »

Prestonpete wrote:Sapper, no one is forcing you to stay at Royal Mail, if there that bad just leave and find another job.
Crikey, thought I was in a time-warp there, could have sworn it was 1979 having just read the above.
Come on, mate. Even poxy Italy has more industry than we do. School-leavers in Britain today, have the bleakest future any generation has faced since the 1920's.
It's high time that most Brits woke up to the reality that is 21st century Britain, this country can't even leave the humble Postie's job secure, go in to any supermarket and the self-service check-outs outnumber the ones manned by people.
Britain offers her people a future where fewer and fewer people will be needed for work purposes, and I can't see that changing any time soon, what with the present prime minister actively seeking large-scale redundancies in what's left of our industry, and the clown waiting in the wings to take over his mantle, well, he sings from the same hymn sheet.
I hate having to need to work for Royal Mail, but need I must, and it sure as hell not from choice, I can tell ya.
BELIAL
Posts: 6758
Joined: 15 Jun 2007, 17:33
Gender: Female
Location: Nowhere

Re: Royal Mail Worst Company I've Worked For

Post by BELIAL »

Bring back PMC please :pray
Bye
makingsounds
Posts: 202
Joined: 19 Oct 2012, 15:07
Gender: Male

Re: Royal Mail Worst Company I've Worked For

Post by makingsounds »

I have a lot of sympathy for anyone unfortunate enough to have to join Royal Mail these days. Desperate times and nothing else out there mean new recruits come in on rolling contracts of 7 hours up to 20 odd which are not permanent. There is no adequate training to do the job. They're lucky to get any kind of uniform and they're thrown into units to cover the worst delivery routes, the ones no-one will sign for because they're so bad. I will estimate that the area I work in has over the last 2 years seen in excess of 300 part-time staff join and then leave the business because of all the reasons I've mentioned. Managers threaten new recruits to do what's required or your contract will not be extended, I've witnessed grown men cry because of the way they're being treated,it's shocking. Needless to say, a lot of time is taken up on grievances, bullying and harassment cases and actually confronting bullying managers who will 9 times out of 10 back down once you front them, they are spineless when confronted in the right manner.
Viewfindergeneral
Posts: 267
Joined: 15 Dec 2008, 12:05
Gender: Male

Re: Royal Mail Worst Company I've Worked For

Post by Viewfindergeneral »

Just as a matter of interest, how did you come to be reading a thread from three years ago? :crazy: