http://www.bostonstandard.co.uk/news/Dr ... 5944247.jp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Published Date: 29 December 2009
Wednesday, 12noon -
POSTCODES help parcels be delivered to the right address but it didn't help one man find his way to Boston's delivery office.
After a card was left at his Amber Hill home to say the postman had tried to deliver a parcel, Caldwell Smythe set off into Boston to collect it.
Mr Smythe, who has only lived in the area since August, put the postcode into his car satellite navigation system on Saturday and set off into the slush and snow.
But when he arrived at the destination, he found himself half-a-mile away from the office in South End, and instead was on Main Ridge.
"I stopped and asked someone who said I was at the old sorting office," said Mr Smythe.
"The people I asked were all in gales of laughter. The people in Boston were wonderful and were so concerned that I would find my way there."
Although he has now handed in the card to collect his parcel, Mr Smythe believes he had been given a old card.
He added: "I trust my sat nav. It brought me right to my door when we came to Amber Hill for the first time."
But a spokesman for Royal Mail insisted the error rested with Mr Smythe's satellite navigation system.
They said: "Boston Delivery Office moved from its old site to its present location in September 2003 keeping the same postcode.
"It would seem that the satellite navigation system used by your reader has not been updated causing him to go to the old address."
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Driver delivered to old sorting office
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72733
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Driver delivered to old sorting office
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Driver delivered to old sorting office
"The people I asked were all in gales of laughter" - it must have been many a year since the residents of Boston had such cause for jollity,
Oh, how they must have laughed.
I only wish I could have been there, 
-
Stormproof
- Posts: 6116
- Joined: 07 Jul 2007, 21:03
- Gender: Female
Re: Driver delivered to old sorting office
I thought all D.O's had the same 3 last digits on the postcode 1AA, his sat nav software was obviously out of date.
So keep on moving, moving, moving your feet
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets
Illegitimi non carborundum
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets
Illegitimi non carborundum
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Driver delivered to old sorting office
Our D.Os mail stll ocassionaly turns up at our old office,it's only been 12years or so. 
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Driver delivered to old sorting office
Cheaper Sat Navs might have sent him to Boston, Massachusits. 