http://www.independent.co.uk/news/peopl ... 00600.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The leader of the postal workers' union on the week in which a vote for an all-out strike put him on the defensvie
Interview by Gillian Orr
Saturday, 10 October 2009
Monday
There's the impending ballot result about whether postal workers are to strike, so I know it's going to be a tough week. I'm in Belfast today to attend an employment tribunal, although I keep in touch with senior management of the Communication Workers Union, of which I'm general secretary. We discuss strategic issues and also hold the central officers' meeting, which covers wider issues such as health and safety.
Tuesday
I fly from Belfast to Liverpool to visit my dad. He's 90 and still going strong, but he's having a trouble with his phone, so I go sort that out. I spend the train journey back to London working on papers, getting home at 11pm.
Wednesday
I'm back at headquarters and attend a staff workshop on our new grievance and discipline procedure. I meet the senior negotiating team, which has met Royal Mail, and discuss where those talks are going. There's still a long way to go to an agreement. We face huge problems. More than 60,000 jobs have been lost in the industry in five years, 3,000 post offices have closed and we've to cope with that change. While mail volumes have dropped by 10 per cent, there are still opportunities for Royal Mail to grow.
Thursday
The day of the ballot results. I get up about 5am, which reminds me of my old job as a postman. I head to GMTV to be interviewed about the forthcoming announcement. I then do a huge number of television and radio interviews. Everyone's very tough. Radio 5Live interview me and use a lot of personal cases about the impact the strike would have on individuals, whether it is people with family fighting in Afghanistan, or people who can't get out the house and rely on the mail. My line is that postmen and women see these people six days a week, they know more than most about what Britain looks like in the 21st century. We don't like to have to disrupt people's lives but our people's lives are being disrupted so we have to stand up for ourselves. The ballot results are in and it's a 76 per cent "yes" vote to strike with a 66 per cent turnout, an absolute majority which is an amazing result in these recessionary times.
Friday
I meet the senior CWU team to discuss the next steps in our campaign. There is a piece in the press about me, comparing us with the miners' strike. I reply by saying that was a long time ago and the miners never had a ballot, like we have. I go to pick up some books I'd ordered as presents and wander round HMV. I buy Great Hatred, Little Room by Jonathan Powell, who was Blair's chief negotiator in the Northern Ireland peace process, to see if I can pick up any tips. We'll be looking at how we can solve this dispute without too much damage to anybody. We've got 10 days to get the Royal Mail back on track but for tonight, I take myself home to see the family and watch season three of The Wire.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
My Week: Billy Hayes
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
My Week: Billy Hayes
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: My Week: Billy Hayes
so we strike after next week thenBilly Hayes wrote:We've got 10 days to get the Royal Mail back on track.................
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: My Week: Billy Hayes
Did I miss it or was there really no mention of Greggs - and putting the whole week together was it as busy as yours?
-
stokes11eg
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3077
- Joined: 20 Nov 2008, 12:51
- Gender: Female
Re: My Week: Billy Hayes
Have a nice day Billy.
-
geoffum
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 29
- Joined: 16 Sep 2009, 23:34
- Gender: Male
- Location: Gallifrey
Re: My Week: Billy Hayes
"While mail volumes have dropped by 10 per cent" This has never been varified or do you just except it now

-
IWW Fellow Worker
- Posts: 3644
- Joined: 30 May 2007, 14:27
- Gender: Male
Re: My Week: Billy Hayes
He is, after all, a member of the same political party as Leighton and Mandelson. They've probably discussed this over smoked salmon sandwiches and a good claret.geoffum wrote:"While mail volumes have dropped by 10 per cent" This has never been varified or do you just except it now![]()
The Industrial Workers of the World. The union whose members never scab!
"The working class and the employing class have nothing in common."
"The working class and the employing class have nothing in common."
-
goinpostal
- Posts: 395
- Joined: 05 Jun 2007, 00:09
- Gender: Female
Re: My Week: Billy Hayes
Class! And who flies to another city to help someone turn on their phone? All those expenses to burn through!stokes11eg wrote:glad to see he has time and energy to browse round shops--and see to his Dad and family.If he had been doing his job properly these last few years, maybe some of those 60.000jobs would still be here.
Have a nice day Billy.
Join Labour, defend Corbyn from the Right, and fight for socialist policies
-
jockstrapp
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 970
- Joined: 28 Mar 2009, 17:58
- Gender: Male
Re: My Week: Billy Hayes
Why did Billy and his boys not meet on Friday? Come on stop mincing about and get us out to support our brothers/sisters who have already shown the way and teach these b@stards (RM) a lesson.
-
goinpostal
- Posts: 395
- Joined: 05 Jun 2007, 00:09
- Gender: Female
Re: My Week: Billy Hayes
Here here!jockstrapp wrote:Why did Billy and his boys not meet on Friday? Come on stop mincing about and get us out to support our brothers/sisters who have already shown the way and teach these b@stards (RM) a lesson.
Join Labour, defend Corbyn from the Right, and fight for socialist policies
-
Stormproof
- Posts: 6116
- Joined: 07 Jul 2007, 21:03
- Gender: Female
Re: My Week: Billy Hayes
I wish I could sum my week up in 5 paragraphs! but I can sum my week up in 6 words,
Monday Crap
Tuesday Crap
Wednesday Crap
Thursday Crap
Friday Crap
Saturday Crap
Monday Crap
Tuesday Crap
Wednesday Crap
Thursday Crap
Friday Crap
Saturday Crap
So keep on moving, moving, moving your feet
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets
Illegitimi non carborundum
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets
Illegitimi non carborundum
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: My Week: Billy Hayes
wish I could sum my week up in 5 paragraphs! but I can sum my week up in 6 words,
Monday Crap
Tuesday Crap
Wednesday Crap
Thursday Crap
Friday Crap
Saturday Strike

Monday Crap
Tuesday Crap
Wednesday Crap
Thursday Crap
Friday Crap
Saturday Strike
good times, bad times you know I've had my share