ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

“That’ll be two crowns and thruppence, missus.”

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

“That’ll be two crowns and thruppence, missus.”

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://jaynenelson.wordpress.com/2009/0 ... ce-missus/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I had to go to my local sorting office yesterday to pick up a parcel I needed to pay customs duty on (an occupational hazard when you buy so many DVDs from the USA). When I pulled out my card to pay the £12 fee, the guy behind the counter looked rather embarrassed.

Post Office Guy: “I’m sorry, we don’t accept cards.”

Me: “You only take cash? Seriously?”

Post Office Guy: “There’s an ATM across the road.”

Me: “But why don’t you take cards? What is this, the 19th century?”

Post Office Guy: “We’re the Post Office, you know. I’m surprised we don’t still use horses and carts to deliver letters.”

Me: “In that case, you won’t mind if I pay you in shillings and farthings, will you?”

Post Office Guy: “It’s only fair.”

Honestly, the Royal Mail are trying to position themselves as an organised 21st century business but they don’t even accept Visa? How dumb is that?

Sometimes it amazes me this country even has the internet. Or the wheel.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: “That’ll be two crowns and thruppence, missus.”

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Fair point I think
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
MEL
Posts: 75
Joined: 11 Oct 2007, 22:53

Re: “That’ll be two crowns and thruppence, missus.”

Post by MEL »

it costs a lot of money to process card payments not to mention the installation of machines, training etc and 2 b honest the amount of money r/m takes from customs charges wood nt justify the cost. when you go to some newsagents there is a minimum spend for using a card or even an extra 50p charge so sorry as i am for this ladys inconvience. cash only is the way it should b (and of course a ready supply 4 coffee machine money 4 doms lol)
opgpat
Posts: 878
Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 21:56

Re: “That’ll be two crowns and thruppence, missus.”

Post by opgpat »

Have to agree, the callers office is really a collection point not a sales/till point. There's not enough 'turnover' to make the installation of the the infrastructure that is standard in a store a worthwhile move. And anyway they'd be putting in their pin numbers infront of 30 onlookers if the que in our office on a Sat morning is anything to go by. :whistle
Stormproof
Posts: 6116
Joined: 07 Jul 2007, 21:03
Gender: Female

Re: “That’ll be two crowns and thruppence, missus.”

Post by Stormproof »

When I worked in Callers we used to have this argument nearly every day about not accepting cards. I did bring this up with the Area Commercial manager who at the time made all the right noises and nodded but yet again nothing happened, modernisation for you I guess. :wink:
So keep on moving, moving, moving your feet
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets


Illegitimi non carborundum
Ethilfrog
MDEC
Posts: 55
Joined: 24 Jun 2009, 14:41
Gender: Male

Re: “That’ll be two crowns and thruppence, missus.”

Post by Ethilfrog »

Callers offices don't sell stamps either except for the same range of books you can buy in supermarkets.
Ahebban
Posts: 695
Joined: 19 May 2009, 13:41
Gender: Male
Location: Left of ... Left

Re: “That’ll be two crowns and thruppence, missus.”

Post by Ahebban »

If the charge is to be £4.99p or less for the item Caller's Office can have it .. items £5.00 and above could be collected and paid for at the nearest PO :Very Happy
Ahebban - anglo-saxon in origin - meaning 'Wages War'

What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight, what counts is the size of the fight in the dog. - Mark Twain
Pinky 1
Posts: 1510
Joined: 01 Mar 2009, 11:38
Gender: Male
Location: Wales

Re: “That’ll be two crowns and thruppence, missus.”

Post by Pinky 1 »

She could have paid her £12 charge with a cheque and a valid guarantee card though, couldn't she ?
Thats what we accept in our callers office :roll:
"Cara yn bod 'n briod , dydy 'n fawr at ca a hun 'n anad berson a 'ch angen at blina achos 'r bwyso chan 'ch buchedd "
" I like being married,, it's great to find that one special person you want to bother for the rest of your life "