No argument about retraining or even updating current skills but if "anyone" can do this job why do so many leave. What I think you meant to say was that no formal qualifications or training are required, but IMHO certainly self discipline, a determined outlook as well as a good level of self confidence all help and not everyone has these attributes.Paul_theother_One wrote:I think Locker dave has a point that College and further education is availabe for all so why not retrain? Anyone can do this job. Murdock sacked 6000 printers in the 80's and thought nothing of it. Where are the miners now? I dont agree with any of that but it could happen here..........if we let it.
Miners and Printers - yep I am getting more certain by the day that we may be seen facing our own Wapping or Orgreave.
This may indeed be true, in fact my last job had some of these "qualities" and I left after it started to affect my well being. However, we cant use the "well others accept it in their jobs" as a reason to accept it in ours, othwise T&Cs will always have a downward curve and big bosses bonuses will climb on the back of it.Paul_theother_One wrote:It aint just Royal Snail that has contempt. Some of us have been round the block a few times and had other jobs in recent years. Just ask your friends and relies how much they like their jobs, do they get away on time, do they get a lunch break, do they have a boss watching every move with his/her arms folded saying faster faster like fatory shift leaders, do they have it written in their contracts that you cannot use "I have not got time" as an excuse, (my wife has) do they have to do free work i.e “must be flexible boll*cks” and there won’t be many who say they like it.
No problems with turning up early in fact I think its better to do that than turn up late. Every job I have had I always turn up early, but in none of them do I start working till the contracted time.Paul_theother_One wrote:I know some mates have contracts that ask you to get in 15 mins early to work, but u dont get paid for it. Take it or leave it yes, but if not much work about you take it, don't you?
This is one of the tricks they use. Another they used at my dads place was to change the initial contract for all new workers starting there, and then when more than half of the whole workforce was on the lesser contract they changed all the others to the same one - apparently its quite legal to do this.Paul_theother_One wrote:I had one company change my contract of employment from basic plus comm to comm only and I did not have a say in it...or so they thought. I got solicitor who told them to foxtrot Oscar and they then made me re-apply for my own job. i walked cos I knew i would not get it after peeing on their batteries. ET yes but do I need the months of grief?
If we play it right we can get the public on our side, whether the PEC is up to it is a different matter. However public opinion should never sway a strike as long as its legal and the members wish to continue striking then we should, to a certain extent public support is good but its not necessary if your cause is strong.Paul_theother_One wrote:Trouble at our place is the long termers can’t see what’s coming and think the CWU will save them. They won’t cos their hands are tied by thatchers laws. How many of us want to strike and yet then take the backlash of the media and public who this time will be vehemently against us, when so many are on the dole. We will not get sympathy of the Public this time.
Thatchers Children.Paul_theother_One wrote:At our place its each to their own and many go into the office licking backsides to look after themselves. Companies love you to all fight amongst your selves. When I was younger no one would grass up mates and tongue lash the boss’s bot bot.
Now its “look after number one” and it makes me puke.
It does seem to be cyclical but since the 80s the Unions have been under attack from big businesses and profit hungry bosses, and Liebour was the great hope as they promised to roll back some of the anti union laws. :mfoPaul_theother_One wrote:We are going back to the dark ages of working conditions since Thatch subdued the unions in the 80's. Only when it gets really bad will people really ask for the Unions back and start supporting them again. Al I hear now is unions got too big had too much power and invented jobs that did not exist so mates could get free money blah de blah. Well just you wait and see when we are back to the sweat shop age and your wages wont pay for a bag of sugar let alone pay the mortgage.
Yes I can still smell those Lamb ChopsPaul_theother_One wrote:If we were all French it would be such a different story. They take no prisoners do they?