ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

You're playing with fire gents.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
axeman
Posts: 1733
Joined: 12 Jun 2007, 17:57

Re: You're playing with fire gents.

Post by axeman »

Huxon wrote:The trouble is I have had managers patrolling me while I’m out on delivery and showing me a clipboard and telling me so and so finished at ten to twelve, next was ten past twelve etc.

I am constantly harassed by management and this is the worst part, have had other postmen say we are doing the lapsing why should you get away with not doing it.

So long story short they have won, from this week ill be doing the lapsing and keeping my gob shut.
I also had this happen but showed more resiliance informing my area rep of every move they made in the end they had no option but to back off for fear of the repercussions that could have followed perhaps i'm more of a fighter especially when pushed but i dare say the spies are about but if you just do your job properly they ain't ever going to win and all those wank**s that come in early are a tad envious that i don't lapse or have had any extra put on my job :wink:
bexhil palace
Posts: 505
Joined: 18 Jul 2007, 11:54
Gender: Male
Location: All over the Gaff

Re: You're playing with fire gents.

Post by bexhil palace »

Huxon wrote:We have full timers supposed to start at 6am coming in at 5.30am or earlier

Part timers supposed to come in at 7.20 coming in at 6am throwing off their walk and then helping out on ips when there not supposed to.

Private cars being used.

We even have guys bagged up, going out and doing a third of there walks before the missorts are in.

Its pointless trying to do the job properly when we are our own worst enemy.
Huxon, you must work at my office. You have described it to a T. :mad
pickaname
Posts: 1467
Joined: 11 Sep 2007, 20:24

Re: You're playing with fire gents.

Post by pickaname »

flyinmachine wrote:Hi ! One of the problems to me seems to be,Obviously all offices are different and every person is an individual. The royal mail as a hole is changing or should i say trying to change. The big picture with issues such as privatization , absorption . Full time jobs being changed to part time jobs, Royal mail backing out of agreement's ETC. Will affect all offices ! But people deal with things in different ways. For example i hate to say it but i doubt my office will be striking. The atmosphere in my office hasn't really changed. No ones really happy but that's always been the case. Its a Given our managers are cocks but every one knows that. Theirs no real surprise when they do or say something ridiculous we all now their agendas and most people just seems to get on with it. People do challenge them and as a whole those people are normally left to do their own thing. Those sort of people are in short supply in my office. I just hope the majority of offices aren't like mine.

I no after reading allot of the posts on the site allot of the issues i can relate to. But some of the issues and things going on kind of make me think maybe my office isn't that bad. The bottom line seems to be allot of people are happy to make do and just want an easy life. Don't get me wrong if our office do ballot for a strike i wont be going anywhere near my office on strike days. Even though I'm not in the union I believe in what every ones fighting for. I just hope in a couple of months when the dust settles. The workers get what they've been fighting for. Keep up the fight.!!! :Applause :Applause
Join the Union
jcjd
Posts: 99
Joined: 24 Jun 2007, 17:48
Location: London

Re: You're playing with fire gents.

Post by jcjd »

Huxon wrote:We have full timers supposed to start at 6am coming in at 5.30am or earlier

Part timers supposed to come in at 7.20 coming in at 6am throwing off their walk and then helping out on ips when there not supposed to.

Private cars being used.

We even have guys bagged up, going out and doing a third of there walks before the missorts are in.

Its pointless trying to do the job properly when we are our own worst enemy.
Everyone has a breaking point, sounds like your office havn't hit it yet, they will and by then it will be to late. Don't give in, those that have given in already have been hit hard by cuts but WILL get hit again, those that fight tooth and nail for every hour in their office will come out of this dipute with the better T & C in their offices. FIGHT ON HUXON
London Postman
DirtyHarry
Posts: 5051
Joined: 13 May 2007, 23:16
Gender: Male
Location: London

Re: You're playing with fire gents.

Post by DirtyHarry »

Huxon wrote:Hi all first post here. I have been a posty for 22 years. First bag I had was the brown roll up sack and the grey uniform.

Just lately I have been moaning a lot about lapsing etc until another old fellow took me to one side and told me the good old days are over, you have to look out for your self now.

At first I was shocked but after thinking about it I realised I didn’t know most of the names of the new guys, most start at 9am and keep themselves to themselves.

The job has changed, I was the only one not doing lapsing and doing the job properly. Even the union guy was doing lapsing.

So from next week ill shut up, do my lapsing, keep my head down and my gob shut as that is the way it is in my office now.

I’m fed up of being focused on by managers and the Dom. This is it, its what the job is and I’m no longer going to fight against it.

The union is dead, it just needs to realise it, we have lost.

Sorry to sound so negative but it’s the honest truth.
I don't do abject surrender. I will always do the job properly. The managers, the least productive part of the pipeline, can go feck each other.
mailman71
Posts: 500
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 08:03

Re: You're playing with fire gents.

Post by mailman71 »

the biggest problem is see is that for the past few years there has been less full time jobs and most of the new workers are on shorter hours and a lot are'nt in the union.
when it comes to the big crunch shortly ie strike,will the non union people come out with us or will they go in and work.
as for playing with fire by standing up for your rights then its no contest, we are being screwed by royal mail so if we dont fight now there will be no full time future.
madelin4
Posts: 1220
Joined: 04 Jun 2007, 16:56

Re: You're playing with fire gents.

Post by madelin4 »

disgruntledpostie1 wrote:I'm also in the position of being the only one in my office who doesn't do lapsing and continues to 'do the job properly' and I am constantly being attacked over my work rate but I can always come onto this site and get a boost to my self confidence which in turn, helps me continue to fight.

That and the dubious web sites that I visit :crazy: :crazy: :nervous

Attacked? not for much longer from what I hear :shhhhh
ar26
Posts: 155
Joined: 01 Jan 2009, 19:55
Gender: Male

Re: You're playing with fire gents.

Post by ar26 »

Locker Dave wrote:When the basic was £311.50 each week. I used to do a walk and then do one on docket twice a week and still be home for 1-2pm so I was taking home about 400 quid a week for walking the streets.

I think that was decent money.
Well I finish up on Friday cause I feel like RM are killing me just walking the streets. This is the hardest bloody job I've ever had to do and it just isn't worth it anymore as they are trying to get us to do more and more every day.

Yes I agree we get a good hourly rate, however binmen in Edinburgh get £18K seemingly and apart from carrying a weight around the streets thier job is much easier than ours ( never done it but lets face it compared to what binmen used to do when I was a kid, they would come round the back pick up the dustbin over the shoulder take it out to the bin lorry tip it then put it back, compared to now - wheel it 3 feet press a button and abandon it where it is)

Yes many people on the dole recently may think ah I can do that, but as we see every time 6 or7 new starts start they don't stay much more than 3 months. I'm an old hand in our office and I've only got 2 years service. And how many on the dole want 20 0r 25 hour contracts and thats if they are lucky.

I don't earn anywhere near the figure locker Dave is talking about. Most days I'm home around 3pm but I'm meant to finish at 1:45pm. So Childcare is virtually impossible to plan, my daughters nursery charge £15 per hour if I'm late picking her up so try getting your manager to listen when you say you can't do overtime as it's not worth it.

As stated I finish on Friday and even if they offered me a full time contract and a hefty pay rise I'm afraid I would still go as unless they totally changed the job back to what it was I just don't think its worth it, but then thats ultimatley what Royal Mail seem to want, get rid of all the staff that are still in the pension scheme or are full time and gradually erode the job away until they can pay minimum wage .
stokes11eg
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3077
Joined: 20 Nov 2008, 12:51
Gender: Female

Re: You're playing with fire gents.

Post by stokes11eg »

:Very Happy Good Luck on your escape--hope you find something in the not too distant future.
Night Tonic
Posts: 1474
Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 21:35

Re: You're playing with fire gents.

Post by Night Tonic »

Locker Dave, possibly the only man who does have his eyes open.
Don't believe everything you're told in the rest room
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: You're playing with fire gents.

Post by Dorset Plodder »

See this is still running. Good luck ar26 I'm sure a lot of us would abandon ship if there was a decent job to go to. I love the job but I'm getting really P****d off with the Management just let us do the job for God's Sake! :d'oh! It's not as if we're looking for loads of cash for not doing anything.

I know Lockerroom Dave's not posting any more but how do you work yourself above the Manager? Unless you want to become an even bigger W*****r! Night Tonic what are on about? Please inform us. I take it you're handing your notice in and signing up for the Open University? I respect everyone's right to have a different point of view but who out there thinks RM are dealing with this situation fairly, or even sensibly, let alone morally? Don't see many posts agreeing with them!

Agree with prevoius posts that when you're feeling down look on here and at least see that others are getting Shat on from even greater heights with more gusto.

Cheers :wave
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
axeman
Posts: 1733
Joined: 12 Jun 2007, 17:57

Re: You're playing with fire gents.

Post by axeman »

Night Tonic wrote:Locker Dave, possibly the only man who does have his eyes open.

A friend or aquaintance of yours then or probably one of the underlings from one of your three offices ? :left:
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: You're playing with fire gents.

Post by krussel »

flyinmachine wrote:Hi ! One of the problems to me seems to be,Obviously all offices are different and every person is an individual. The royal mail as a hole is changing or should i say trying to change. The big picture with issues such as privatization , absorption . Full time jobs being changed to part time jobs, Royal mail backing out of agreement's ETC. Will affect all offices ! But people deal with things in different ways. For example i hate to say it but i doubt my office will be striking. The atmosphere in my office hasn't really changed. No ones really happy but that's always been the case. Its a Given our managers are cocks but every one knows that. Theirs no real surprise when they do or say something ridiculous we all now their agendas and most people just seems to get on with it. People do challenge them and as a whole those people are normally left to do their own thing. Those sort of people are in short supply in my office. I just hope the majority of offices aren't like mine.

I no after reading allot of the posts on the site allot of the issues i can relate to. But some of the issues and things going on kind of make me think maybe my office isn't that bad. The bottom line seems to be allot of people are happy to make do and just want an easy life. Don't get me wrong if our office do ballot for a strike i wont be going anywhere near my office on strike days. Even though I'm not in the union I believe in what every ones fighting for. I just hope in a couple of months when the dust settles. The workers get what they've been fighting for. Keep up the fight.!!! :Applause :Applause

A very good first post :Very Happy What you say is true and i think a lot of offices are a lot like yours :sad:

If your planning on supporting any strike action i STRONGLY suggest you join the Union asap. The trouble will be that Management will put A LOT of pressure on you to cross any picket line or work at another office :sad: Without the support of the Union you may find yourself on a conduct code or worse suspended. Simply not worth the risk so i would join up. :Very Happy

I have a feeling, and by the aggressive way these changes have been introduced, that this one may take longer than a couple of months to sort out but if everone sticks together and STARTS doing the job properly its a fight we can WIN :Very Happy
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
Paul_theother_One
Posts: 9
Joined: 25 Jul 2009, 16:55
Gender: Female

Re: You're playing with fire gents.

Post by Paul_theother_One »

celerycelery wrote:
Huxon wrote:Hi all first post here. I have been a posty for 22 years. First bag I had was the brown roll up sack and the grey uniform.

Just lately I have been moaning a lot about lapsing etc until another old fellow took me to one side and told me the good old days are over, you have to look out for your self now.

At first I was shocked but after thinking about it I realised I didn’t know most of the names of the new guys, most start at 9am and keep themselves to themselves.

The job has changed, I was the only one not doing lapsing and doing the job properly. Even the union guy was doing lapsing.

So from next week ill shut up, do my lapsing, keep my head down and my gob shut as that is the way it is in my office now.

I’m fed up of being focused on by managers and the Dom. This is it, its what the job is and I’m no longer going to fight against it.

The union is dead, it just needs to realise it, we have lost.

Sorry to sound so negative but it’s the honest truth.
You are fu**ing spot on mate. It amazes me that the ones moaning about the lapsing but still do it are the ones who still come in early, prep d2d's in own time, dont take breaks and fly round. The reason we are in the mess we are is due to ourselves. When only a small majority of an office do the job properly what chance have we got? We should all be sticking together but unfortunately this will never happen again. My attitude now is i work 8 hours a day then go home. What they aske me to do i do it unless it can make me go over my time then i say no. Once i leave office i dont once think about the shitty job till i go back the following day.
Beautifully said. Same at our cesspit.
The Union reccomended a yes vote after I lost 8 days money and yet all the things i fought for came in!!!!
40000 did not even bother to vote
Made your bed so lie innit
Evry silver lining has a cloud

I VOTED NO
flyinmachine
Posts: 26
Joined: 26 Jul 2009, 20:27
Gender: Male

Re: You're playing with fire gents.

Post by flyinmachine »

krussel wrote:
flyinmachine wrote:Hi ! One of the problems to me seems to be,Obviously all offices are different and every person is an individual. The royal mail as a hole is changing or should i say trying to change. The big picture with issues such as privatization , absorption . Full time jobs being changed to part time jobs, Royal mail backing out of agreement's ETC. Will affect all offices ! But people deal with things in different ways. For example i hate to say it but i doubt my office will be striking. The atmosphere in my office hasn't really changed. No ones really happy but that's always been the case. Its a Given our managers are cocks but every one knows that. Theirs no real surprise when they do or say something ridiculous we all now their agendas and most people just seems to get on with it. People do challenge them and as a whole those people are normally left to do their own thing. Those sort of people are in short supply in my office. I just hope the majority of offices aren't like mine.

I no after reading allot of the posts on the site allot of the issues i can relate to. But some of the issues and things going on kind of make me think maybe my office isn't that bad. The bottom line seems to be allot of people are happy to make do and just want an easy life. Don't get me wrong if our office do ballot for a strike i wont be going anywhere near my office on strike days. Even though I'm not in the union I believe in what every ones fighting for. I just hope in a couple of months when the dust settles. The workers get what they've been fighting for. Keep up the fight.!!! :Applause :Applause

A very good first post :Very Happy What you say is true and i think a lot of offices are a lot like yours :sad:

If your planning on supporting any strike action i STRONGLY suggest you join the Union asap. The trouble will be that Management will put A LOT of pressure on you to cross any picket line or work at another office :sad: Without the support of the Union you may find yourself on a conduct code or worse suspended. Simply not worth the risk so i would join up. :Very Happy

I have a feeling, and by the aggressive way these changes have been introduced, that this one may take longer than a couple of months to sort out but if everone sticks together and STARTS doing the job properly its a fight we can WIN :Very Happy
Can and will they do that ? The last strike 2years ago i didn't go in nothing was said , Come to think of it quite a few other non union members didnt go in nothing was said. Is there not something about you cant be forced to cross a picket line ? :hmmmm