ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Postie savaged by dog

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Postie savaged by dog

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk/ ... ticle.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A postman who was savaged by a dog on his rounds in Cheltenham is calling for pet owners to act more responsibly.

Stephen Gittings needed hospital treatment after being attacked by a deaf mongrel called Banjo as he was delivering mail in Lyndale Terrace, Alstone Lane.

The grandfather has been making drops at the address for 15 years but was attacked as approached the property.

Stephen, who lives Stanwick Drive, Cheltenham, and has been a postman in the town for 21 years, said: "I was going along the road when I saw the dog was tied by the garage at the front of their house – which was the first time I had seen the dog outside.

"I put my bike by the garage and went around the corner and it came straight at me and dug its teeth into my wrist.

"I shouted and a man came out. I said the dog had bitten me and he said the dog was just protecting his property."

Stephen, who is married to Jackie and has two children, Andrew, 22, and Melissa, 19, and a grandson Jon, eight months, was bitten on a path between the garage and the street.

He managed to finish his round with his arm bleeding, then went to Cheltenham General Hospital A&E to have his wound dressed.

The 51-year-old later called the police and said officers told him it wasn't clear whether the dog was on public or private land.

He said:"The bite went through the skin and caught the bone in my arm and I haven't been able to move my wrist properly since.

"It happens quite a lot and work gives us talks about it and what to watch out for.

"They also say that if dogs are loose in the garden we shouldn't go in, we should come back and leave a message to say we left the mail because the dog was there.

"The company looks after us but there is not much they can do in this case."

Gill Evans said her dog Banjo, a terrier cross, is deaf and the postman must have startled him.

She said: "We've never had any problems before. He is good with the kids but he just doesn't like the postman.

"He is just not vicious at all. How could a dog be vicious called Banjo?"

Gill and her partner Martin Brown got the dog from Cheltenham Animal Shelter when he was a puppy. "He is really soft," she added.

A Royal Mail spokesman said that in extreme cases it may stop delivering mail to addresses where there is a particular problem, but this only happens as a last resort.

She said: "Royal Mail takes very seriously the safety of its employees – particularly our frontline postmen and women who deliver the mail.

"Unfortunately, dog attacks are a hazard faced by our employees – we record about 5,000 animal attacks on our postmen and women a year. The vast majority involve dogs.

"Our main aim is to prevent attacks and we have an ongoing campaign to raise awareness of the issue among our customers."

A Gloucestershire police spokesman said the force was called on Saturday after a man was bitten by a dog in Lyndale Terrace.

She said: "Police have spoken to the owner of the animal and have reported him to the Crown Prosecution Service. They will decide if any further action will be taken."
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Postie savaged by dog

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:"He is just not vicious at all. How could a dog be vicious called Banjo?"
So its the posties fault because he is called Stephen :evil/mad :arrrghhh :arrrghhh
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
shadow
Posts: 494
Joined: 02 Jun 2009, 18:17
Gender: Female

Re: Postie savaged by dog

Post by shadow »

The dog must be a softie cause he's called banjo.Just like the throat ripping rotweiler called fluffy. :crazy:
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: Postie savaged by dog

Post by DGP1 »

There's a Jasper Carrot joke about having a cat called Lollipop :hmmmm
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: Postie savaged by dog

Post by DGP1 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI95r6nzVZ0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; there it is :chuckle :chuckle
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
brothermagrew
Posts: 3015
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 16:38
Gender: Male
Location: Shares a border with England to the south.

Re: Postie savaged by dog

Post by brothermagrew »

The owners of said mutt are the ones who need banjoed!
"Today’s workplace has become heartless and soulless. Employees are seen as units of labour, automatons, functionaries, objects for achieving designated tasks, and as costs to be minimised."
shadow
Posts: 494
Joined: 02 Jun 2009, 18:17
Gender: Female

Re: Postie savaged by dog

Post by shadow »

Not what I was expecting. Expected it to be crude.
Magnus
MDEC
Posts: 54
Joined: 07 Jan 2009, 23:38
Gender: Male

Re: Postie savaged by dog

Post by Magnus »

You folks should carry those high frequency sound buzzers, with you.

They deter these crazy mutts.

Wouldn't suprise me if they are illegal though.

Take care, folks.
johnsouthwales
Posts: 833
Joined: 05 Mar 2009, 19:07
Gender: Male

Re: Postie savaged by dog

Post by johnsouthwales »

don't walk near a dog
and here comes avi cohen! oh i say! at the same end, he's got one back!!
Pinky 1
Posts: 1510
Joined: 01 Mar 2009, 11:38
Gender: Male
Location: Wales

Re: Postie savaged by dog

Post by Pinky 1 »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:"He is just not vicious at all. How could a dog be vicious called Banjo?"
So its the posties fault because he is called Stephen :evil/mad :arrrghhh :arrrghhh
What does it matter what you call him ........you say he's f*cking deaf ! :crazy: :crazy:
"Cara yn bod 'n briod , dydy 'n fawr at ca a hun 'n anad berson a 'ch angen at blina achos 'r bwyso chan 'ch buchedd "
" I like being married,, it's great to find that one special person you want to bother for the rest of your life "
shadow
Posts: 494
Joined: 02 Jun 2009, 18:17
Gender: Female

Re: Postie savaged by dog

Post by shadow »

I know a man that lost his dog. They call him dugless.
Barry Trotter
Posts: 204
Joined: 07 Oct 2007, 09:40
Location: steepasfuckistan

Re: Postie savaged by dog

Post by Barry Trotter »

Magnus wrote:You folks should carry those high frequency sound buzzers, with you.

They deter these crazy mutts.

Wouldn't suprise me if they are illegal though.

Take care, folks.

I had one of those years ago as two dogs in one garden kept trying to bite me. The dom said just point it,press it and the dogs will get sore ears and run away. So i pointed it,pressed it,one dog ran off and the other dog went feckin nuts,started foaming at the mouth and chewing the wood on the gate off. I thought,to hell with this,I'll not bother going in today and endorsed the mail accordingly. The next morning I pulled up the dim and told him what happened,He said, I should have told you,sometimes it has the opposite effect on some dogs and makes them go wild. guid yin.
I am a postman and I kept the faith and I kept voting, not for new labour but for the working man.
NWpostie
Posts: 3620
Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
Gender: Male
Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9

Re: Postie savaged by dog

Post by NWpostie »

Barry Trotter wrote:
Magnus wrote:You folks should carry those high frequency sound buzzers, with you.

They deter these crazy mutts.

Wouldn't suprise me if they are illegal though.

Take care, folks.

I had one of those years ago as two dogs in one garden kept trying to bite me. The dom said just point it,press it and the dogs will get sore ears and run away. So i pointed it,pressed it,one dog ran off and the other dog went feckin nuts,started foaming at the mouth and chewing the wood on the gate off. I thought,to hell with this,I'll not bother going in today and endorsed the mail accordingly. The next morning I pulled up the dim and told him what happened,He said, I should have told you,sometimes it has the opposite effect on some dogs and makes them go wild. guid yin.

should have carried on doing it for entertainment value from the safety of the street :chuckle while still endorsing letters :wink:
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: Postie savaged by dog

Post by DGP1 »

shadow wrote:I know a man that lost his dog. They call him dugless.
I thought that was a man without a spade on his head :hmmmm :nervous :nervous
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Re: Postie savaged by dog

Post by k979aaa »

I know a dog called LUCKY but the postman was not when it ate his ball's!. So beware you only get two so why give a dog a chew!. But one thing i do is never go in a garden if i know a dog can be in it!. But sometimes this can not always be the case with royalmails policy of moving workers from pillar to some unknown post!.