http://www.formbytimes.co.uk/news/formb ... -23958844/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A POSTMAN has told of his terror after a German shepherd dog attacked him as he delivered mail.
Patricia Mary Rimmer, 63, appeared before North Sefton Magistrates Court charged with not keeping her dog under proper control under the Dangerous Dogs Act.
The court heard that Brian Daly had been delivering mail at Rimmer’s home on Lowes Green on December 8, 2008, when her dog ran from the house snarling and showing its teeth.
The black and tan coloured dog then bit the father-of-two on the hand.
Rimmer offered Mr Daly first aid but he refused and instead went to a neighbour’s house.
Mr Daly, 54, told the Formby Times: “I had never done this round before. I got off my bike and I was looking around at the numbers. I was about 60 foot away from Ms Rimmer’s house when the dog ran through the front door and just came running at me. I backed away. I had a bundle of mail in my hand and it bit me on the wrist.
“I was in shock, the neighbours came out and saw my hand. I nearly fainted, I was bleeding quite badly. It damaged the ligaments in the back of my wrist and my hand.”
Mr Daly, from Thornton, who has been a postman for two years, added that he was not the first to be bitten by the dog.
“It’s a vicious dog and I know of about two or three other postmen who have been attacked. They’re well aware of the dog but I didn’t know.
“Yes, it’s part and parcel of the job that dogs don’t like postmen, but as the owner of a dog that’s out of control, it is their responsibility to make sure it is secure.”
Rimmer pleaded guilty to not having control of the dog..
She said: “It all happened so fast, the dog was by me and the next minute gone. I’ve had the dog for ten years and nothing like this has ever happened.
“I think with it not being our regular postman and with my dog being protective of me, the dog saw a strange man, coming behind me with something in his hand and she was gone.”
Mr Daly, was off work for two weeks, is still weary about doing his rounds.
“Every dog is different but I keep thinking it could have been a child’s face. Every time I see a dog now I wonder what it’s going to do.”
Rimmer was ordered to keep the dog under proper control and told to pay costs of £254.31.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Dog attack agony of Formby post worker bitten on his round
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Dog attack agony of Formby post worker bitten on his round
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
NWpostie
- Posts: 3620
- Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9
Re: Dog attack agony of Formby post worker bitten on his round
Rimmer was ordered to keep the dog under proper control and told to pay costs of £254.31
its nothing considering that the dog has attacked before, it should have been put down, owner banned from owning dogs, the dog put down end of.
Owner pay more like £5000 compo, considering the injuries, rich people go to courts for Libel cases and gets millions !!!! and we only get a poxy £241
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
-
BELIAL
- Posts: 6758
- Joined: 15 Jun 2007, 17:33
- Gender: Female
- Location: Nowhere
Re: Dog attack agony of Formby post worker bitten on his round
Two weeks off and he's still worn out,sounds about normalTrueBlueTerrier wrote: Mr Daly, was off work for two weeks, is still weary about doing his rounds.
Bye
-
brothermagrew
- Posts: 3015
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 16:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: Shares a border with England to the south.
Re: Dog attack agony of Formby post worker bitten on his round
Slight contradiction in terms:
Owner - I’ve had the dog for ten years and nothing like this has ever happened.
Postman - It’s a vicious dog and I know of about two or three other postmen who have been attacked. They’re well aware of the dog but I didn’t know.
Where these contradictions challenged in Court?
Only good thing apart from the owner being ordered to keep her dog under proper control is the fact that the attack will have had to have been reported under RIDDOR as an over three day injury.
Whilst specifically only of interest to Royal Mail Scottish posties, the further progression of the Control of Dogs (Scotland) Bill can be viewed in the H&S Forum.
It does however give a clear indication of how the UK Parliament should move with regards to dangerous dogs.
Owner - I’ve had the dog for ten years and nothing like this has ever happened.
Postman - It’s a vicious dog and I know of about two or three other postmen who have been attacked. They’re well aware of the dog but I didn’t know.
Where these contradictions challenged in Court?
Only good thing apart from the owner being ordered to keep her dog under proper control is the fact that the attack will have had to have been reported under RIDDOR as an over three day injury.
Whilst specifically only of interest to Royal Mail Scottish posties, the further progression of the Control of Dogs (Scotland) Bill can be viewed in the H&S Forum.
It does however give a clear indication of how the UK Parliament should move with regards to dangerous dogs.
"Today’s workplace has become heartless and soulless. Employees are seen as units of labour, automatons, functionaries, objects for achieving designated tasks, and as costs to be minimised."