http://www.whitbygazette.co.uk/news/Whi ... 5388385.jp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FUND-RAISERS from the Whitby area have recently completed an abseil down the iconic 90 metre high Royal Liver Building in Liverpool.
Barry Hutchinson, a member of Friends of Whitby Lifeboat along with work colleagues Peter Hind and Philip Trumper – who are all postmen in Whitby – along with friend Andrew Goodrum all completed the 200ft drop.
Barry admits there were a few moments of trepidation as he tackled the gutsy descent and was delighted to reach the ground in one piece.
Becki Heath (21), currently attending the Liverpool Theatre School and an ex-student at Whitby Community College, also braved the abseil.
Becki said: “The worst thing for me is that I have a dreadful phobia of lifts and was panic stricken when the organizers told me I had to ascend in one.
“RNLI organisers came to the rescue as I was allowed to go up the 22 flights of stairs instead which was unfortunate for the steward who had to accompany me!
“Friends from my theatre school came to cheer me on and sang and danced as I came down, I have to admit I did join in!”
Alison Thomson of the Friends of Whitby Lifeboat Group told the Gazette: “I think it is brilliant that the people involved who are not from the Liverpool area would go to such lengths to raise money for the Hoylake RNLI.
“It just goes to show that these fundraisers are willing to go beyond raising money for the Whitby lifeboat, and help other stations too.”
Jointly, the amount raised was in excess of £800 to go towards the Hoylake Lifeboat appeal which aims at replacing the ‘Lady of Hilbre’ Mersey class lifeboat, with a new, faster, all-weather boat.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Whitby daredevils drop in!
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Whitby daredevils drop in!
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
stokes11eg
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3077
- Joined: 20 Nov 2008, 12:51
- Gender: Female
Re: Whitby daredevils drop in!
Well done boys.