http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/news ... s_business_/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A postal worker was jailed for eleven months on Friday after he admitted to embezzling more than £132,000 in cash.
Maheah Vaja, of Leander Road, Thornton Heath, stole the £132,000 in a desperate bid to keep his brother’s business afloat. While working at the post office, the 46-year-old helped his sub-postmaster brother run the combined post office and general store.
Auditors turned up at the Lee Green shop on November 26, 2007, and before starting their routine checks, were told by Vaja there would be £80,000 missing.
Tom Bradford, prosecuting, said: “He said he had not reported the deficit because he was scared of the consequences”.
When he was interviewed in February 2008 he said he had started paying his brother’s bills with the post office money and had manipulated cash figures on the accounts to hide the thefts.
“He made it clear he had been under pressure to make up his brother’s losses. “The sub-postmaster is liable for the amount and is being pursued for that amount,” added Mr Bradford.
Melanie Simpson, defending, said Vaja had made no personal gain from what he had been doing and had been acting under misguided loyalty to his brother.
Judge Pratt told Vaja, who was of previous good character, that: “During 2007 you plundered your brother’s post office to keep the shop afloat. You are not the first person to resort to dishonesty to keep a business alive and you will not be the last, but the amount was enormous.”
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Postal worker stole £132k to 'prop up brother's business'
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Postal worker stole £132k to 'prop up brother's business'
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Postal worker stole £132k to 'prop up brother's business'
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
Judge Pratt
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Geezer
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1347
- Joined: 19 Jun 2007, 21:01
Re: Postal worker stole £132k to 'prop up brother's business'
Didn't most of the Banks around the world do the same thing,But instead of being held to account are being bailed out by their respective governments whilst at the same time shafting the working men/women who will end up paying for their GREED.
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Postal worker stole £132k to 'prop up brother's business'
132k for 11 months doesn't seem such a bad deal does it?
-
DGP1
- Posts: 15551
- Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
- Gender: Male
- Location: Terminus
Re: Postal worker stole £132k to 'prop up brother's business'
dvbuk55 wrote:132k for 11 months doesn't seem such a bad deal does it?
but he has to repay all the money, I suppose the government could try asking all those on the boards of the banks to pay back the billions they have squandered.
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Postal worker stole £132k to 'prop up brother's business'
Well then it would have to be £1 per week for the next 132,000 weeks which would be 2500 years - I think I could live with that what about you.disgruntledpostie1 wrote:dvbuk55 wrote:132k for 11 months doesn't seem such a bad deal does it?
but he has to repay all the money, I suppose the government could try asking all those on the boards of the banks to pay back the billions they have squandered.
-
brothermagrew
- Posts: 3015
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 16:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: Shares a border with England to the south.
Re: Postal worker stole £132k to 'prop up brother's business'
More like 2538 years and that extra £38 that is quoted may not sound a lot but it could by a lot of pork pies.dvbuk55 wrote:Well then it would have to be £1 per week for the next 132,000 weeks which would be 2500 years - I think I could live with that what about you.disgruntledpostie1 wrote:dvbuk55 wrote:132k for 11 months doesn't seem such a bad deal does it?
but he has to repay all the money, I suppose the government could try asking all those on the boards of the banks to pay back the billions they have squandered.
"Today’s workplace has become heartless and soulless. Employees are seen as units of labour, automatons, functionaries, objects for achieving designated tasks, and as costs to be minimised."
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Postal worker stole £132k to 'prop up brother's business'
Now now - I think I know who you're talking about.brothermagrew wrote:More like 2538 years and that extra £38 that is quoted may not sound a lot but it could by a lot of pork pies.dvbuk55 wrote:Well then it would have to be £1 per week for the next 132,000 weeks which would be 2500 years - I think I could live with that what about you.disgruntledpostie1 wrote:dvbuk55 wrote:132k for 11 months doesn't seem such a bad deal does it?
but he has to repay all the money, I suppose the government could try asking all those on the boards of the banks to pay back the billions they have squandered.