http://www.gazetteseries.co.uk/news/400 ... ng_office/
THREE MPs are backing a campaign to save the sorting office in Wotton-under-Edge.
Since the announcement that Royal Mail plans to close the office and merge it with the sorting office in Cam, the full scale of the situation has been revealed.
The Wotton sorting office not only serves residents in Wotton and Kinsgwood but a 45-mile radius encompassing Charfield, Wickwar, Tortworth, Cromhall, Falfield, Hillesley and Tresham.
When the office closes residents of all the villages will have to travel to Cam, near Dursley, to pick up packages or sign for mail.
Geoffrey Clifton-Brown (cons), MP for the Cotswolds, said: "I hope we can save the sorting office but given the announcement in parliament - that the Government is looking for further efficiencies - I think it will be difficult.
"Having said that I am fully behind the campaign, it is just we need to realise it will be an uphill struggle. I am very worried about the office closing because if you take away facilities like this from a town like Wotton then it is a big blow."
An emergency public meeting was held last week to discuss how to go forward and Mr Clifton-Brown has pledged to pressure Royal Mail.
Steve Webb, MP for North Avon, has also pledged his support to the campaign.
He said: "The key question for me is whether people will get an effective sorting office services if it moves.
"You already hear complaints about getting post too late in the day so if it is sorted further away people will want to know if that will affect timing.
"I still happen to think that the Post Office is a public service and should not just be about profits.
"I have pledged my support to the campaign and will help any way I can if they need me to."
Campaigners in Wotton have vowed to fight on despite the Royal Mail standing there ground on their decision to close the office.
Co-ordinator of the campaign Cllr Roger Carter said: "People need to know that this is not just a Wotton problem and it is not even just a Gloucestershire problem, it is much bigger than that.
"We are going to push forward with the campaign and we are pleased that the MPs have pledged their support as well."
David Drew, MP for Stroud district, has also pledged his support for the campaign.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Three MPs back campaign to save sorting office
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Three MPs back campaign to save sorting office
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.