S(ausage) C(hips) A(nd) B(eans) - geddit?Thorby Bislam wrote:?[/size]BELIAL wrote:![]()
I've got a peculiar moral dilemma . Rest day cover working a Sausage chips and beans round and collected a fair amount of tips,what do you do? Guess I'll take the market view and treat it as compensation for wasted investment
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Christmas Tips
-
baldrick
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 5038
- Joined: 13 Sep 2007, 23:37
- Gender: Male
Christmas Tips
-
sidewinder
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 348
- Joined: 24 Oct 2008, 18:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Christmas Tips
Sticky issue.Changed walks last year,after racking it in on a 7 year stint on another walk.Moved from council estae area to mega rich area all within 2 miles of each other.Guess what?mega rich area,all I got was 15 quid.The worst xmas tips for 15 years.Well known people on my walk as well.
-
Thorby Bislam
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 495
- Joined: 04 Jan 2008, 20:45
- Gender: Male
- Location: Desolation Row
Re: Christmas Tips
I do now.baldrick wrote:S(ausage) C(hips) A(nd) B(eans) - geddit?Thorby Bislam wrote:?[/size]BELIAL wrote:![]()
I've got a peculiar moral dilemma . Rest day cover working a Sausage chips and beans round and collected a fair amount of tips,what do you do? Guess I'll take the market view and treat it as compensation for wasted investment
Just spilt stain-remover down my shirt. Now how do I get that out?
-
rhino49
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1644
- Joined: 04 Jun 2007, 21:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: At home with my feet up
Re: Christmas Tips
I quite often come in to do my own walk on overtime on my day off as the rotation guy doesn't like the walk and is willing to do other duties instead - however I have told both he and people who have helped out when I have culled sections of the walk recently due to workload - that if they are offered any tips they should accept them as they are the duty officer on that area for that day and won't get as much as I would covering the walk day in day out.Kim wrote:I am a floater covering 5 walks ! The subject of accepting tips is a hard one![]()
. None of the Posties whose walks I cover ever offer me any of their tips
![]()
. and I always refuse customers when they offer me, and explain that I only do the walk once every week.. but sometimes they are insistant and it is hard to refuse.I have in the previous years passed on the money to the postie of the walk.. But this year, as the credit crunch is here, I am keeping them for myself !!
Can't wait for my own walk though !!!! but when that will be.. god knows !!
My tips are literally halved this year after losing a large section of my walk in the Pegasus revision but I am happy with what I have received and grateful that the public recognise the difficulties of what we do with a gratuity or just good wishes on a card. Being a walkholder over a long period builds trust with the customers on that walk and helps you spot mistakes in addressing that machines just don't. I have saved dozens of wrongly addressed items that a rotation man or helper wouldn't spot and because I regard it as "my" walk, I will go to a little inconvenience to ensure good service and therefore expect not to have to share tips with others who leave me with rubber pavements and pouch boxes full of empty drink bottles on the rare occasion that they fill in for me. If you do the walk one day a week, it would be quite reasonable for you to take the tips offered on that day as, in a perfect world, they would be proportionate to the work you do on that walk.
We wish to serve - but we will not be servile
-
NWpostie
- Posts: 3620
- Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9
Re: Christmas Tips
Probably a case for scrapping Saturday deliveries and keep it just to mon to friday and ir will be YOUR walk and you will make sure it is ok and no floaters to fcuk things up for you.rhino49 wrote:I quite often come in to do my own walk on overtime on my day off as the rotation guy doesn't like the walk and is willing to do other duties instead - however I have told both he and people who have helped out when I have culled sections of the walk recently due to workload - that if they are offered any tips they should accept them as they are the duty officer on that area for that day and won't get as much as I would covering the walk day in day out.Kim wrote:I am a floater covering 5 walks ! The subject of accepting tips is a hard one![]()
. None of the Posties whose walks I cover ever offer me any of their tips
![]()
. and I always refuse customers when they offer me, and explain that I only do the walk once every week.. but sometimes they are insistant and it is hard to refuse.I have in the previous years passed on the money to the postie of the walk.. But this year, as the credit crunch is here, I am keeping them for myself !!
Can't wait for my own walk though !!!! but when that will be.. god knows !!
My tips are literally halved this year after losing a large section of my walk in the Pegasus revision but I am happy with what I have received and grateful that the public recognise the difficulties of what we do with a gratuity or just good wishes on a card. Being a walkholder over a long period builds trust with the customers on that walk and helps you spot mistakes in addressing that machines just don't. I have saved dozens of wrongly addressed items that a rotation man or helper wouldn't spot and because I regard it as "my" walk, I will go to a little inconvenience to ensure good service and therefore expect not to have to share tips with others who leave me with rubber pavements and pouch boxes full of empty drink bottles on the rare occasion that they fill in for me. If you do the walk one day a week, it would be quite reasonable for you to take the tips offered on that day as, in a perfect world, they would be proportionate to the work you do on that walk.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
-
rhino49
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1644
- Joined: 04 Jun 2007, 21:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: At home with my feet up
Re: Christmas Tips
But for the inevitable loss of jobs that it would bring, I would welcome a Monday to Friday structure as it would bring many benefits to the people working it, not least ensuring good weekend rest periods and holiday planning. My comments on rotation staff should not be taken to mean that I consider them to be unworthy but perhaps that a part time involvement with a walk leads to a reduced commitment to it's treatment and care which the full time walkholder inevitably has to make up for.
We wish to serve - but we will not be servile
-
lover
- Posts: 108
- Joined: 04 Oct 2008, 23:16
- Gender: Female
Re: Christmas Tips
i asked the same question last year.we pool our tips,but because i was only their the last three months of the year i would only get a part share.so handed in about 150 pounds and got back 50.clitheroesnumber1postie wrote:Probably open a can of worms here but what does everyone think about christmas tips? In my opinion all the tips should be pooled into one pot. I know that some post people get more tips than others but do we spare a thought for PHG's/spare/reserves? Reserves do exactly the same job when regular postmen are on holiday so shouldn't we be sharing christmas tips with these people? I was given a christmas tip today for the round that I am covering(not my actual round but the person who normally is on it is off sick) and when that person returns to work I shall give them the tip. I don't want to hear the "seniroity" instance as I have 25 years plus experience but I think it is unfair that reserves don't get tips. Mind you it might only be in our office that we don't pool, or I am just honest?
others i know for a fact gave in only a potion of what they recieved yet still got a full share.
and its happening again this year half in there back pockets and hand in half.or in one case hand in only one 5 pound note.
next year i keep the lot,unless they say for all of us.if they say have a drink on me.its mine.
by law
-
Phantom
- Posts: 1234
- Joined: 27 Dec 2007, 18:17
- Gender: Female
- Location: New York
Re: Christmas Tips
Just counted and i've got £348 not bad eh? my customers love me, literally.
CUT OFF!!!
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72754
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Christmas Tips
This is the problem with pooling - I only got £5 this year and I was very happy with that and perhaps this particular postie you are referring to was the same. Unless you actually go to every door with every postie you will not know how much he has been given, and can you really trust a customer who says that they gave "the postie who did the round the other day" a Christmas tip. I know if we pooled it at my DO I would be embarrassed only putting in the £5 I got because people would think I got more, and would feel pressured to put more in even though I did not get any more.lover wrote:
and its happening again this year half in there back pockets and hand in half.or in one case hand in only one 5 pound note.
next year i keep the lot,unless they say for all of us.if they say have a drink on me.its mine.
by law
So from a £5 postie to all £100+ ones - keep your tips you earned them for doing the duty you got them from just like I earned my £5, 2 cans of beer, 1 Box of Chocolates and 23 Christmas cards,
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
i love mail sort
- Posts: 189
- Joined: 19 Apr 2007, 21:40
- Location: its either Hell or a bad dream
Re: Christmas Tips
I have been a floater on the same walks for 3 years. Last year i didn't anything of them so i took 20% a week house hold money of them so they were worse off.Kim wrote:I am a floater covering 5 walks ! The subject of accepting tips is a hard one![]()
. None of the Posties whose walks I cover ever offer me any of their tips
![]()
. and I always refuse customers when they offer me, and explain that I only do the walk once every week.. but sometimes they are insistant and it is hard to refuse.I have in the previous years passed on the money to the postie of the walk.. But this year, as the credit crunch is here, I am keeping them for myself !!
Can't wait for my own walk though !!!! but when that will be.. god knows !!
-
mmc
- Posts: 17
- Joined: 20 Dec 2007, 16:21
Re: Christmas Tips
I ended up with about £400 this year, being doing the same walk for 5 years now, nice to know I'm appreciated.
-
BELIAL
- Posts: 6758
- Joined: 15 Jun 2007, 17:33
- Gender: Female
- Location: Nowhere
Re: Christmas Tips
For the Sausage Cabs (easy) Who gave me nowt ,be aware your customers know that you aint meant to step things 
Bye
-
TeeferTiger
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2783
- Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
- Gender: Female
- Location: Welsh Wales
Re: Christmas Tips
I'm meant to be an AG doing parcels for the guys who don't have vans on their deliveries. Even though I help them out and take their packets if they can't fit them in their bags or whatever, they don't share anything they get. To be honest though, I'm not particularly bothered. I feel I get paid very well for the job I do and therefore anything else is just a bonus and shouldn't be expected.
There's one guy though who takes all his own parcels at Xmas which we all know is just to make sure he gets the tips. The rest of the year, I have to take them.
I've not been in my office much though this Xmas as I've been on loan doing bugger all in other offices so I'm happy
There's one guy though who takes all his own parcels at Xmas which we all know is just to make sure he gets the tips. The rest of the year, I have to take them.
I've not been in my office much though this Xmas as I've been on loan doing bugger all in other offices so I'm happy
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
-
rockypostie
- Posts: 171
- Joined: 04 Jul 2007, 21:17
Re: Christmas Tips
I'm a floater too and have been very honest with all the posties and given them all the tips what have been left out,I'm waiting for next week to see if they give me a % of there tips. I will be very anoyed if they don't seeing as I have been very honest with them.
I honestly even think if a customer who left a tip out when i was on one of the rounds asks this one postie if he got the tip of me he will say no in order to get another tip and make me look like a robbing bastard!The same postman had a pile of about 40 cards in his postvan from customers and they had all been just ripped open and the money taken out and just left in the van,how bloody ungrateful,i was tempted to post them all back to the customers!
I think im going to do the claim 20% of there d2ds everyweek if i don't get any tips from them,I hate doing d2ds and would rather not do them but like i love mail sort said they then are worse off when you take the 20% d2d money from them
I honestly even think if a customer who left a tip out when i was on one of the rounds asks this one postie if he got the tip of me he will say no in order to get another tip and make me look like a robbing bastard!The same postman had a pile of about 40 cards in his postvan from customers and they had all been just ripped open and the money taken out and just left in the van,how bloody ungrateful,i was tempted to post them all back to the customers!
I think im going to do the claim 20% of there d2ds everyweek if i don't get any tips from them,I hate doing d2ds and would rather not do them but like i love mail sort said they then are worse off when you take the 20% d2d money from them
-
sue
- Posts: 17
- Joined: 19 Sep 2008, 09:18
- Gender: Female
Re: Christmas Tips
I am a relatively new postie and had been doing the same delivery for nearly 3 months. However, I was taken off this to do parcels, over the xmas period (mainly), so I only received £5
!! I have no idea if the person covering my round had any tips, they are definitely keeping
!