...he was on a YTYC (we may have this wrong) 2 year course.
I may have this wrong too, but according to Google "YTYC" is a BT engineering code (BT formerly being the GPO - General Post Office). Codes are used for physical locations and YTYC is linked to Twycross. Codes beginning with the letter Y were radio-related sites...
Of course "YTYC" could have several meanings "youth training something something", etc. Good luck with your search. Maybe someone on here can offer something more.
I was a telegram lad from 1974-1976 in Newcastle, I used to deliver telegram around the town centre, and if anyone knows the Eldon square shopping centre it was a building site, I remember delivering the wages for the builders with a registered envelope stuffed with cash, must have been hundreds of pounds every week, no security vans imagine doing that now, happy days, then when I turned 18 i became a postman, did 34 years in total.
anybody out there that started as one?
i started in may 1970 15 yo at dh9 when it was stanley crown office with the deliverys at the back as a telegram boy monday to saturday
mon to fri 0900 till 5pm but if late one came in no overtime
sat 0900 till 1pm
i used to sit in the telegram office with the counter clerk ,you were not allowed to do postmans work till you were 18 and didnot get full pay till you were 21.
on saturdays you hoped none came in late cos in my case the bus to sunderland was 1pm and if i missed it no match,but the clerks were good used to let me away sharp (thanks to them all)
in those days the postmaster was god and it was mr or miz you knew you place.
oh and the post office bikes i must have pushed mine for miles ok down hill but any hill off and push no gears and heavy
oh great times
I was a young postman in 1977 at 16 and instead of becoming a Telegram boy in Croydon, I was seconded to Post office Telephones in Edridge road in Croydon. My job with about 7 others was to do the internal mail, to take it from floor to floor and to other telephone buidings and exchanges. Once a week to go to the regional headquarters in London with the pouchs. mon to friday. It came as a shock when i was 18 to have to go to the mech office and actually become a postman. I started at 16 as a young postman on £21 a week , with 3 weeks 2 days annuals leave.