https://uk.news.yahoo.com/royal-mail-di ... 44191.html
A father got so fed up waiting on his son's undelivered Father's Day card that he went to his local Royal Mail sorting office – only to be told he needed to pay £2.60 for them to hand it over.
Mike Chappell complained and had the charge was waived, as he picked up another 15 overdue letters, including important correspondence from the NHS and HMRC.
"I couldn't believe it," he told The Independent. "Not only were they late but I was being asked to pay to pick up my own post from the sorting office."
Mr Chappell's experience comes as Royal Mail is being investigated by watchdog Ofcom after only delivering 76 per cent of first class mail the next working day last year, missing the target of 93 per cent.
In March, claims emerged from postal workers that they were being asked to hide post from senior bosses to give the appearance that delivery targets were being met.
But in Cam and Dursley in Gloucestershire, where Mr Chappell lives, postage delays appear particularly bad with local MP Simon Opher calling the local situation "untenable".
Mr Opher wrote on social media this week that he had secured a commitment by Royal Mail to launch a "proper local investigation". At the same time, local residents commonly vent their frustration over the issue on a community Facebook page.
Have you faced severe delays on postage - email alexander.ross@independent.co.uk
Among them, Mr Chappell complained over his Father's Day card not being delivered.
Mr Chappell said his son living in Northamptonshire sent the card by first class post two weeks before the celebration on 21 June. But when it hadn't arrived five days after the day, Mr Chappell decided to go to the local sorting office in Cam.
"I arrived and was surprised to see a queue of around 15 people all doing the same as me," he said. "When I was seen, the kind lady at the office handed me the post but said the card had a old first class stamp on and I needed to pay the £2.60.
"I said 'I'm not going to pay to collect my post, the contract is we pay for it to be delivered'. She spoke to her manager and I was told on this occasion I would not be charged."
Mr Chappell said he was also handed letters including one for a hospital appointment and another from HMRC regarding his wife's business.
When he later spoke to the manager, he was told the branch was facing issues with understaffing.
He said: "It's disappointing. Royal Mail has an obligation to meet certain standards we put trust in them to fulfil, but it appears right now, especially in my local area, they aren't meeting them."
The problem has been picked up by Mr Opher, who said it was the "single biggest issue" raised by constituents over the summer.
He wrote on Facebook this month: "The situation across the constituency seems to be worsening. I have dozens of examples of undelivered mail, missed appointments, and endless important communications received late.
"I understand that the Royal Mail service faces significant challenges... but there has to come a time, as it has for the privatised rail and water industries, when we say that enough is enough."
A Royal Mail spokesperson said the local delivery office had experienced resourcing pressures, which have affected deliveries but the position has "improved significantly in recent weeks".
They added: "First class performance across the GL postcode area has improved significantly over the past year, with 84.4 per cent of mail now delivered the next working day, up from 69.2 per cent at the same point last year.
"We know there is more to do and, following discussions with Simon Opher MP, we will be reviewing the delivery offices serving the constituency as part of our ongoing work to improve local performance."
In June, Ofcom said service levels at Royal Mail were "unacceptable" after data showed it had missed both its first and second class delivery targets for 2025/26. Last year, Royal Mail was fined £21m for failing to meet delivery targets in 2024/25.
Ofcom said Royal Mail was rolling out a new delivery model by Christmas this year, with a plan to improve delivery service, including the investment of £500m over the next five years.
Last week, Royal Mail said it planned to recruit around 22,000 temporary workers ahead of Christmas.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Royal Mail didn’t deliver my Father’s Day card – so I went to get it myself and they tried to charge me
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72754
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Royal Mail didn’t deliver my Father’s Day card – so I went to get it myself and they tried to charge me
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
ted_e_bear
- Posts: 4116
- Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 19:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Royal Mail didn’t deliver my Father’s Day card – so I went to get it myself and they tried to charge me
As trump would say "fake news" - the sender didn't sufficiently pay for the card to be delivered hence the surcharge.
-
Mr Rush
- Posts: 3357
- Joined: 05 Aug 2011, 14:27
- Gender: Male
Re: Royal Mail didn’t deliver my Father’s Day card – so I went to get it myself and they tried to charge me
So they waived the charge, but who ultimately paid for it? Clearly management thought that would diffuse the situation and forestall some more negative press, yet this just sets the stage for more theatrics.
Fade in on CSP. Snow is seen falling through the steamed up window. The door opens letting in a bitter blast of cold air. A mother and child enter. The child is in a wheelchair, coughing into a handkerchief. The wheelchair squeeks in an exaggerated manner with the intention of projecting patheticness but is so overdone it approaches comedy.
Mother: I got this card saying Tiny Tim's present from Australia has been surcharged £50. Can't you waive it? He only has another six months. It's his last Christmas, God help him!
Fade in on CSP. Snow is seen falling through the steamed up window. The door opens letting in a bitter blast of cold air. A mother and child enter. The child is in a wheelchair, coughing into a handkerchief. The wheelchair squeeks in an exaggerated manner with the intention of projecting patheticness but is so overdone it approaches comedy.
Mother: I got this card saying Tiny Tim's present from Australia has been surcharged £50. Can't you waive it? He only has another six months. It's his last Christmas, God help him!
The machine stops.
-
TopperGas
- Posts: 3526
- Joined: 13 Feb 2021, 22:46
- Gender: Male
Re: Royal Mail didn’t deliver my Father’s Day card – so I went to get it myself and they tried to charge me
All these MP's claiming RM is their constitutants biggest concern but the Government &/or OFCOM haven't said one word about actually doing anything about the issues being raised!