You are right it does drain you being out all that time,I really do uderstand about being in a van doing a rural have done it and the rurals i done are well out in the sticks and no it really dont make it easy and if anyone thinks that then they should try one,I wish you could see and hear this manager it would give you all such a laugh you would see where im coming from,I really dont mind anyone being a manager but i do wish that sometimes they would really try our job not preach to us,and its a human right to have a comfort break its what your entitled to yet a rural driver can be out 6hrs without a place to pee.
disgruntledpostie1 wrote:
Most rurals in my DO are around 5 1/2 hours now and only 3 have toilets on them and I tell you it can be quite uncomfortable to go for 6 hours (including traveling time) without a comfort break. Plus anyone who thinks that being in a van makes it easier is deluding themselves because all the van does is takes you from delivery point to delivery point, you're not able to stop for a rest nor do you have the time to sit and wait until the monsoon outside stops you just have to get on with it.
Rurals in our office do 10 hour days now, 4 on 4 off.
Incidentally, in a previous driving job i sussed out what a comfort break is. Well a comfort bottle has an extra wide neck and makes an ideal p**s pot!
disgruntledpostie1 wrote:
Most rurals in my DO are around 5 1/2 hours now and only 3 have toilets on them and I tell you it can be quite uncomfortable to go for 6 hours (including traveling time) without a comfort break. Plus anyone who thinks that being in a van makes it easier is deluding themselves because all the van does is takes you from delivery point to delivery point, you're not able to stop for a rest nor do you have the time to sit and wait until the monsoon outside stops you just have to get on with it.
Rurals in our office do 10 hour days now, 4 on 4 off.
Incidentally, in a previous driving job i sussed out what a comfort break is. Well a comfort bottle has an extra wide neck and makes an ideal p**s pot!
disgruntledpostie1 wrote:
Most rurals in my DO are around 5 1/2 hours now and only 3 have toilets on them and I tell you it can be quite uncomfortable to go for 6 hours (including traveling time) without a comfort break. Plus anyone who thinks that being in a van makes it easier is deluding themselves because all the van does is takes you from delivery point to delivery point, you're not able to stop for a rest nor do you have the time to sit and wait until the monsoon outside stops you just have to get on with it.
Rurals in our office do 10 hour days now, 4 on 4 off.
Incidentally, in a previous driving job i sussed out what a comfort break is. Well a comfort bottle has an extra wide neck and makes an ideal p**s pot!
It dont help for number two's though!.
Or No 1s if you are female . However, please don't ask how I know but there are commercially avaibale products for female No 1s.
No 2s - Can I recommend Andy McNabs book as he describes a certain method. The rest of the book is bad and trite, but I can recommend his idea as I have had to use it.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts. Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility. If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Phantom wrote:4 hours in the summer could be quite lethal! You would need regular water top ups. But NO 3.5 as a maximum is enough for anyone.
For does this not raise the fundamental idea of single daily delivery has failed us all badly for why do we not have it split into two with a return to the office to allow the use of facility's no more than two hour's out on delivery!.
madelin4 wrote:3.5 hours is plenty for the body!!!!!if they wanna make it 4 hours it may be over a 4 day week as we will need the extra day off!!! some of us have other hobbies out of work we would like to maintain, me for example like running and swimming and i wanna still have the energy to persue my interests.
I know how it affect the body when you do heavy walk and sensible workload. I think 3.5 hours should be maximum in ideal world and no more than 540 delivery point if possible.
Carew wrote:I know how it affect the body when you do heavy walk and sensible workload. I think 3.5 hours should be maximum in ideal world and no more than 540 delivery point if possible.
I think it should depend on local situation - my walk is 600+ but on a normal day I can get it done in 3.5hrs including pouching off. Mind you mine is a high density estate where all the houses are close together. One walk on my section is only 300 houses but takes over 3.5hrs every day (always covered on docket) but that's in a posh area with long drives.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts. Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility. If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Could be a major U turn from the union,as regards job and finish.
it seems inevitable automation will increase pressure to maintain full time hours,by extending the delivery span.
it is a legal requirement to have a break(15 mins)after working 3 1/2 hours.
One thing that has been mentioned as a way round this,would be to go out on delivery,return to the office,quick
break,then back out on delivery.
sound familiar!
The bigges problem r,m will have will be the h&s of it's posties as an extended delivery span will create more issues for r.m. If everyone does the job properly i myself cannot see them geting over that for a very long time to come if ever. If they entice the folowers of :cfo :lfo with the dangly carotts more fool them
stick to your guns and the 3 1/2 span before your subjected to all the more crap piled on your deliverys
One of the walks which I do was officially tested several year's ago at 4hrs 10mins. In the summer I have to ask customers if they mind me filling my water bottles from their garden taps.
EVER SINCE THESE LOCAL FLEXIBILITY DEALS HAVE BEEN IN PLACE THE UNION SEEMS TO BE LOOSING ITS TEETH
IN MY D,O POSTIES ARE PULLING SICKIES LEFT RIGHT AND CENTER DUMS AND LINOS HAVE TO COVER DUTIES VOLUMES ARE NOT DROPPING HAD SIX BAG FULLS ON SATURDAY
AND 3 HOURS TO DO IT