ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Van accident
-
LouBarlow
- Posts: 4709
- Joined: 15 Oct 2007, 18:56
Re: Van accident
You have an accident and report it, you will be fine. It is why RM have insurance. The worst you will face is to have driver training again.
-
SMS1969
- Posts: 1022
- Joined: 28 Jun 2021, 11:36
- Gender: Male
Re: Van accident
You shouldn’t be sacked no, it will go down on record though. Most of us have had the odd bump here and there, so don’t worry too much. Take it easy though.
-
Kenfandango
- Posts: 694
- Joined: 19 Oct 2021, 16:40
- Gender: Male
Re: Van accident
It also depends who you are and what routes you know, I dented one of our brand new electric vans when they arrived (tiny dent in the back as the parking sensor was below the protruding metal in the wall I was reversing up to,) got the whole "off driving until we can book another test" schtick from management. Next day got told that as I know all the rurals I was back on driving that day.
Conversely a girl had someone go into the side of her van after running a red light (other driver, not the postie,) had plenty of evidence and someone else's dashcam footage of the incident, but she had to wait for months to be allowed to drive again as ... Well I think she was disliked by her manager.
Conversely a girl had someone go into the side of her van after running a red light (other driver, not the postie,) had plenty of evidence and someone else's dashcam footage of the incident, but she had to wait for months to be allowed to drive again as ... Well I think she was disliked by her manager.
-
Barnacle
- Posts: 2949
- Joined: 13 Dec 2022, 16:58
- Gender: Female
- Location: Earth
Re: Van accident
You did the right thing by reporting it straightaway. Absolutely nothing terrible will happen to you. You will likely be taken off the driving for a while until they have organised a retest - but the length of the suspension depends on how desperate your office is for drivers
’You can't just ask customers what they want and then try to give that to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something new.’
-
CarryingMGMT
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 310
- Joined: 29 Jul 2023, 22:33
- Gender: Male
Re: Van accident
This is the truth of how RM treat their staff. It's all dependant on how incompetently run each and every delivery office is.Kenfandango wrote: ↑18 Mar 2024, 15:56It also depends who you are and what routes you know, I dented one of our brand new electric vans when they arrived (tiny dent in the back as the parking sensor was below the protruding metal in the wall I was reversing up to,) got the whole "off driving until we can book another test" schtick from management. Next day got told that as I know all the rurals I was back on driving that day.
Conversely a girl had someone go into the side of her van after running a red light (other driver, not the postie,) had plenty of evidence and someone else's dashcam footage of the incident, but she had to wait for months to be allowed to drive again as ... Well I think she was disliked by her manager.
They don't tend to employ competent people above OPG status.
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4198
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
Re: Van accident
One look at all our battered vans in our yard suggest that many posties have had an 'incident' at some time or another
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
Rve83ndxd
- Posts: 260
- Joined: 09 Sep 2023, 10:56
- Gender: Male
Re: Van accident
I'd some bloke crash in to my park van. So badly damaged I told him not to worry. Next week he did the same. Told him not to both. Who cares.
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Van accident
In my experience, if it's just the Royal Mail van that is damaged very little follows. It's when you've got third party insurance involved that issues arrive. I've known a guy off driving for weeks, when somebody hit a van that he wasn't even in at the time. He'd parked doing his loop. In that case, both our van and third party vehicle were badly damaged so insurance companies were involved. There's procedures to follow in that case. In your case, you've fessed up and unless you've actually destroyed the lamppost I'd imagine they'll be little to come of it.
-
khayam332
- Posts: 3
- Joined: 22 Nov 2023, 17:58
- Gender: Male
Re: Van accident
So iam so upset I need advise.
I hit the back of the can with post lamp 3 weeks ago then I took retest again last week . And today I was reversing the van in the yard and I hit the van again from back and back light cover is broken.
I have reported to manager and he did some call to get reffrence number aswell. So what's gonna happen with me now. What can they do. Iam so so strest out it's only 4 months been Iam still on probation . Please tell me what's gonna happen what they will do now?
I hit the back of the can with post lamp 3 weeks ago then I took retest again last week . And today I was reversing the van in the yard and I hit the van again from back and back light cover is broken.
I have reported to manager and he did some call to get reffrence number aswell. So what's gonna happen with me now. What can they do. Iam so so strest out it's only 4 months been Iam still on probation . Please tell me what's gonna happen what they will do now?
-
CarryingMGMT
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 310
- Joined: 29 Jul 2023, 22:33
- Gender: Male
Re: Van accident
Be better at driving a van? Maybe you could get some advanced driving lessons? Or ask to be taken off of driving if you aren't confident?khayam332 wrote: ↑03 Apr 2024, 20:35So iam so upset I need advise.
I hit the back of the can with post lamp 3 weeks ago then I took retest again last week . And today I was reversing the van in the yard and I hit the van again from back and back light cover is broken.
I have reported to manager and he did some call to get reffrence number aswell. So what's gonna happen with me now. What can they do. Iam so so strest out it's only 4 months been Iam still on probation . Please tell me what's gonna happen what they will do now?
-
Barnacle
- Posts: 2949
- Joined: 13 Dec 2022, 16:58
- Gender: Female
- Location: Earth
Re: Van accident
I’ve known people who have done much worse and are still at RM. Are you otherwise a good worker who turns up on time and has not been off sick with a headache?khayam332 wrote: ↑03 Apr 2024, 20:35So iam so upset I need advise.
I hit the back of the can with post lamp 3 weeks ago then I took retest again last week . And today I was reversing the van in the yard and I hit the van again from back and back light cover is broken.
I have reported to manager and he did some call to get reffrence number aswell. So what's gonna happen with me now. What can they do. Iam so so strest out it's only 4 months been Iam still on probation . Please tell me what's gonna happen what they will do now?
If so, you should be okay. They might suspend you from driving for a while but it depends how desperate your office is for drivers. Try not to get too stressed about it :)
’You can't just ask customers what they want and then try to give that to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something new.’
-
TopperGas
- Posts: 3523
- Joined: 13 Feb 2021, 22:46
- Gender: Male
Re: Van accident
Nobody on here can really answer your question, all you can do his hope RM feel that you are a good worker and so keep you on, the main thing is that you've only damaged an RM van so hopefully it shouldn't cost a lot to repair.khayam332 wrote: ↑03 Apr 2024, 20:35So iam so upset I need advise.
I hit the back of the can with post lamp 3 weeks ago then I took retest again last week . And today I was reversing the van in the yard and I hit the van again from back and back light cover is broken.
I have reported to manager and he did some call to get reffrence number aswell. So what's gonna happen with me now. What can they do. Iam so so strest out it's only 4 months been Iam still on probation . Please tell me what's gonna happen what they will do now?
-
Foxel
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 514
- Joined: 04 Oct 2021, 21:20
- Gender: Male
Re: Van accident
The current climate is at least in your favour. The lack of staff makes getting the sack particularly hard.
I'm turning purple!
-
yellowbelly
- Posts: 3728
- Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
- Gender: Male
Re: Van accident
A very small mitigation explanation (perhaps) - were the reversing sensors working/switched on for the van that you were reversing in the yard?khayam332 wrote: ↑03 Apr 2024, 20:35So iam so upset I need advise.
I hit the back of the can with post lamp 3 weeks ago then I took retest again last week . And today I was reversing the van in the yard and I hit the van again from back and back light cover is broken.
I have reported to manager and he did some call to get reffrence number aswell. So what's gonna happen with me now. What can they do. Iam so so strest out it's only 4 months been Iam still on probation . Please tell me what's gonna happen what they will do now?