Hernia’s + knees - more and more people getting letterboxes right on the bottom of the doorpostslippete wrote: ↑11 Mar 2024, 15:32Hernia's, bad backs, faulty knees are likely all due to carrying overweight bags on the shoulder. I don't use one all the time but a trolley is handy when one of the loops has excess packets and I don't fancy driving round and getting in and out of the van
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Trolley usage at delivery offices poll.
-
qwerty2
- Posts: 2119
- Joined: 30 Jun 2009, 00:42
- Gender: Male
Re: Trolley usage at delivery offices poll.
-
LouBarlow
- Posts: 4709
- Joined: 15 Oct 2007, 18:56
Re: Trolley usage at delivery offices poll.
Don’t get me started on this. The majority of new doors especially are a disgrace. We use to have a health and safety rep sent out to check letterboxes. I don’t know if this still happens, but I have a good half dozen on my delivery that are literally floor level. And stiff.qwerty2 wrote: ↑11 Mar 2024, 19:07Hernia’s + knees - more and more people getting letterboxes right on the bottom of the doorpostslippete wrote: ↑11 Mar 2024, 15:32Hernia's, bad backs, faulty knees are likely all due to carrying overweight bags on the shoulder. I don't use one all the time but a trolley is handy when one of the loops has excess packets and I don't fancy driving round and getting in and out of the van![]()
-
Ren Hoëk
- Posts: 737
- Joined: 01 Feb 2018, 12:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Trolley usage at delivery offices poll.
One of my biggest gripes! Back killers! Like you say as well, all of them are usually thin and stiff and the only way to get anything through them is to fold it and jam it in. Iv got a couple on my round which are literally centimetres off the floor. Bellends!LouBarlow wrote: ↑12 Mar 2024, 05:35Don’t get me started on this. The majority of new doors especially are a disgrace. We use to have a health and safety rep sent out to check letterboxes. I don’t know if this still happens, but I have a good half dozen on my delivery that are literally floor level. And stiff.qwerty2 wrote: ↑11 Mar 2024, 19:07Hernia’s + knees - more and more people getting letterboxes right on the bottom of the doorpostslippete wrote: ↑11 Mar 2024, 15:32Hernia's, bad backs, faulty knees are likely all due to carrying overweight bags on the shoulder. I don't use one all the time but a trolley is handy when one of the loops has excess packets and I don't fancy driving round and getting in and out of the van![]()
-
qwerty2
- Posts: 2119
- Joined: 30 Jun 2009, 00:42
- Gender: Male
Re: Trolley usage at delivery offices poll.
I’ve got about 60+LouBarlow wrote: ↑12 Mar 2024, 05:35Don’t get me started on this. The majority of new doors especially are a disgrace. We use to have a health and safety rep sent out to check letterboxes. I don’t know if this still happens, but I have a good half dozen on my delivery that are literally floor level. And stiff.qwerty2 wrote: ↑11 Mar 2024, 19:07Hernia’s + knees - more and more people getting letterboxes right on the bottom of the doorpostslippete wrote: ↑11 Mar 2024, 15:32Hernia's, bad backs, faulty knees are likely all due to carrying overweight bags on the shoulder. I don't use one all the time but a trolley is handy when one of the loops has excess packets and I don't fancy driving round and getting in and out of the van![]()
-
LouBarlow
- Posts: 4709
- Joined: 15 Oct 2007, 18:56
Re: Trolley usage at delivery offices poll.
Are they all on the same estate? I feel your pain.qwerty2 wrote: ↑12 Mar 2024, 07:48I’ve got about 60+LouBarlow wrote: ↑12 Mar 2024, 05:35Don’t get me started on this. The majority of new doors especially are a disgrace. We use to have a health and safety rep sent out to check letterboxes. I don’t know if this still happens, but I have a good half dozen on my delivery that are literally floor level. And stiff.qwerty2 wrote: ↑11 Mar 2024, 19:07Hernia’s + knees - more and more people getting letterboxes right on the bottom of the doorpostslippete wrote: ↑11 Mar 2024, 15:32Hernia's, bad backs, faulty knees are likely all due to carrying overweight bags on the shoulder. I don't use one all the time but a trolley is handy when one of the loops has excess packets and I don't fancy driving round and getting in and out of the van![]()
-
matthew68
- Posts: 516
- Joined: 16 Feb 2011, 22:10
- Gender: Male
Re: Trolley usage at delivery offices poll.
People saying they are a waste of time are the same guys who will end up with bad backs and shoulder, also why cut the loops down just to carry a bag on your shoulder, lugging a bag up driveway is not a good idea plus having too much weight will put to much strain on your body, what’s the obsession with hurrying round they’ve made walks bigger so why should we lug bags around I just don’t get it and with the new sick policy I am not risking it and since I’ve started using trolley regularly I feel my back is a lot better
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4198
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
Re: Trolley usage at delivery offices poll.
matthew68 wrote: ↑19 Mar 2024, 21:00People saying they are a waste of time are the same guys who will end up with bad backs and shoulder, also why cut the loops down just to carry a bag on your shoulder, lugging a bag up driveway is not a good idea plus having too much weight will put to much strain on your body, what’s the obsession with hurrying round they’ve made walks bigger so why should we lug bags around I just don’t get it and with the new sick policy I am not risking it and since I’ve started using trolley regularly I feel my back is a lot better
Beats me why people are still trying to race round trying to complete their duties. We have a few guys who come in early unpaid just so they can finish earlier.....which says a lot about how popular the later finishes are I guess
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
Kenfandango
- Posts: 694
- Joined: 19 Oct 2021, 16:40
- Gender: Male
Re: Trolley usage at delivery offices poll.
We have maybe 2 (out of 200+) posties that use trolleys, neither of whom keep the trolley on RM property (one transfers it to and from his car each day, one keeps his in a communal area of his first delivery point.) As soon as managers clap eyes on a trolley (or a loose pouch for that matter,) they are taken away never to be seen again... Despite this, managers will recommend using a trolley on heavy days before revealing they don't have any
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4198
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
Re: Trolley usage at delivery offices poll.
Solution to this one is obvious. Refuse to take any mail out unless you have the trolley provided. If the company cannot provide us with the equipment that they say is 'mandatory' then why are you risking your own health and safety?? When we are regularly delivering 2+ days of mail and excess packets then there is no really no justification for them not providing the correct tools for the job.Kenfandango wrote: ↑20 Mar 2024, 06:19We have maybe 2 (out of 200+) posties that use trolleys, neither of whom keep the trolley on RM property (one transfers it to and from his car each day, one keeps his in a communal area of his first delivery point.) As soon as managers clap eyes on a trolley (or a loose pouch for that matter,) they are taken away never to be seen again... Despite this, managers will recommend using a trolley on heavy days before revealing they don't have any
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
matthew68
- Posts: 516
- Joined: 16 Feb 2011, 22:10
- Gender: Male
Re: Trolley usage at delivery offices poll.
They’re royal mail property so should be on premises or delivery not in someone car and why is the manager taking them away? You are not supposed to put more than 6 kg on your back so if he and the union rep have an agreement it needs to be put in writingKenfandango wrote: ↑20 Mar 2024, 06:19We have maybe 2 (out of 200+) posties that use trolleys, neither of whom keep the trolley on RM property (one transfers it to and from his car each day, one keeps his in a communal area of his first delivery point.) As soon as managers clap eyes on a trolley (or a loose pouch for that matter,) they are taken away never to be seen again... Despite this, managers will recommend using a trolley on heavy days before revealing they don't have any
-
Kenfandango
- Posts: 694
- Joined: 19 Oct 2021, 16:40
- Gender: Male
Re: Trolley usage at delivery offices poll.
I've only been at RM for 3 years, there was nothing about trolley usage in any of the "training" videos. They did, however, say no more than 16kg in a pouch and tell you to weigh each pouch before leaving the DO (never seen any scales.)
Our rep is basically a manager in attitude and willingness to help anyone who isn't one of his mates, in his words "trolleys are for pussies anyway."
Pouches are also Royal Mail property but any left on RM premises disappear so they live in cars and houses as well
-
RTP
- Posts: 863
- Joined: 22 Apr 2011, 14:24
- Gender: Male
Re: Trolley usage at delivery offices poll.
Almost forgot about the LWT. Not seen one in our office for years.
-
matthew68
- Posts: 516
- Joined: 16 Feb 2011, 22:10
- Gender: Male
Re: Trolley usage at delivery offices poll.
It’s a farce of a company for a huge employer health and safety is terrible, why is a manager using those words when clearly there is a delivery procedure, I suggest you ask to see these and then get him to sign an agreement about carrying bags because it’s only 6 kg on back and if they don’t supply a lwt he needs toKenfandango wrote: ↑23 Mar 2024, 17:07I've only been at RM for 3 years, there was nothing about trolley usage in any of the "training" videos. They did, however, say no more than 16kg in a pouch and tell you to weigh each pouch before leaving the DO (never seen any scales.)
Our rep is basically a manager in attitude and willingness to help anyone who isn't one of his mates, in his words "trolleys are for pussies anyway."
Pouches are also Royal Mail property but any left on RM premises disappear so they live in cars and houses as well
Have this agreed with health and safety rep and area union rep, if you go sick with bad back is he prepared to say he told you to carry bag?
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4198
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
Re: Trolley usage at delivery offices poll.
Kenfandango wrote: ↑23 Mar 2024, 17:07
I've only been at RM for 3 years, there was nothing about trolley usage in any of the "training" videos. They did, however, say no more than 16kg in a pouch and tell you to weigh each pouch before leaving the DO (never seen any scales.)
Our rep is basically a manager in attitude and willingness to help anyone who isn't one of his mates, in his words "trolleys are for pussies anyway."
Pouches are also Royal Mail property but any left on RM premises disappear so they live in cars and houses as well
I'm sure that Royal Mail property like this is not meant to be taken home (that ended years ago with job and finish) so I usually leave the bags and trolley in the van. If all your bags have gone and the manager can't find you a single pouch then you tell them that you won't be able to do all the delivery. You can only suggest driving round delivering all the Tracked parcels instead and doing as much mail as you can in one hand.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
postmanplod69
- Posts: 146
- Joined: 04 Sep 2007, 21:52
- Location: at my frame
Re: Trolley usage at delivery offices poll.
On my sector just three out of 24 use trolleys, one of them he was on a singleton for years never used a trolley always complaining about back pain and taking painkillers every day,he decided to have a go at using one a few months ago and now uses one all the time.