Absolutely ridiculous to suggest anyone with a contrary view is here to break apart the union, especially when most of the old-timers here are doing that all by themselves, seeing as they all claimed to have left since the agreement was secured…
And yes, your story does ring true Smooth. As I said, we had similar issues in our office which were addressed and dealt with and thankfully it doesn’t happen any more, at least as overtly. The fact that you were ganged up on here yesterday does indeed prove that there is an inherent misogynistic attitude though you are right. It might be unconscious, but it definitely exists.
But then, I might just be a plant, here to break up the union or some other conspiratorial cobblers. I joint all those years ago with this plan in mind. Forward thinker that I am.
Thank you for seeing it for what it is, and of course for your support, Lou. But why can others on here not see it? The membership makeup of this forum, though anonymous, is indeed eerily similar to the attitudes and people encountered in a typical DO!
And of course we’re both plants, no other explanation for it !
What will our hourly rate be once we get the April pay rise?
Should be about £13.64
£14.44 if you include delivery supplement.
I’ve seen Tesco advertise delivery drivers at £12.60 an hour where I live but that could be different depending on location. Still seems the pay for older contracts is still decent but for newer staff it’s pretty poor.
They can be out delivering well into the night depending what shift they are on saying that it looks an altogether easier job.
What will our hourly rate be once we get the April pay rise?
Should be about £13.64
£14.44 if you include delivery supplement.
I’ve seen Tesco advertise delivery drivers at £12.60 an hour where I live but that could be different depending on location. Still seems the pay for older contracts is still decent but for newer staff it’s pretty poor.
They can be out delivering well into the night depending what shift they are on saying that it looks an altogether easier job.
Husband of someone I work with is a Tesco delivery driver and his criticism of it is that you spend a lot of time doing nothing but waiting. So boredom is a bit of an issue.
’You can't just ask customers what they want and then try to give that to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something new.’
What will our hourly rate be once we get the April pay rise?
Should be about £13.64
£14.44 if you include delivery supplement.
I’ve seen Tesco advertise delivery drivers at £12.60 an hour where I live but that could be different depending on location. Still seems the pay for older contracts is still decent but for newer staff it’s pretty poor.
They can be out delivering well into the night depending what shift they are on saying that it looks an altogether easier job.
We have posties complaining on here that their shifts are changing, yet people think that working even later, for less money, is the way to go? It is definitely a less demanding job, but that works both ways. Less exercise or activity isn’t an advantage for me personally. You could argue over the impact of the stress of the job on the body, but I would counter that by saying that working as a driver is as damaging on your overall health unless you exercise outside work.
Love how rapidly posts descend into assumption based harassment... One thing Aldi has over RM is that you won't have to work with other posties, a large proportion of which seem to be solely out for themselves (until the opportunity to harp on about solidarity comes up, of course) and will happily kick you under the closest bus to get an easier life
Until just Googling his name I hadn’t even heard of him. Having done so, I can find nothing - aside from the Communist Workers Union itself - to corroborate what you say about him being a “union buster”. That said, there can be no disputing that the union is indeed busted, having sold both existing and prospective (ie new-starts) members down the river.
It was Royal Mail who introduced inferior pay, terms and cons to new entrants last year. The CWU didn't agree with this as it crosses one of their 'red lines' towards a two tier workforce and was one of the reasons why I voted NO to the deal. But RM had the Union over a barrel. RM have said that they need to stay competitive and that new entrants wages are above the market rate suggests that it probably won't be likely that they will receive a permanent upgrade, but who knows?
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
Until just Googling his name I hadn’t even heard of him. Having done so, I can find nothing - aside from the Communist Workers Union itself - to corroborate what you say about him being a “union buster”. That said, there can be no disputing that the union is indeed busted, having sold both existing and prospective (ie new-starts) members down the river.
It was Royal Mail who introduced inferior pay, terms and cons to new entrants last year. The CWU didn't agree with this as it crosses one of their 'red lines' towards a two tier workforce and was one of the reasons why I voted NO to the deal. But RM had the Union over a barrel. RM have said that they need to stay competitive and that new entrants wages are above the market rate suggests that it probably won't be likely that they will receive a permanent upgrade, but who knows?
Appreciate and totally respect that you personally voted No, but the CWU did agree with/acquiesce to the inferior Ts and Cs for new entrants, in effect sacrificing new entrants for the benefit of the old-guard. If it really had been one of their red lines, the BRTG agreement wouldn’t have been ratified by the National Committee and then put to the CWU membership for balloting and endorsement.
Yeah not sure that is a red line at all, considering they agreed to it. It is the one regret of mine in voting for the deal, seeing how new starters are treated. I am positive that I read that contracts would be made up to established ones, at least in one draft of the agreement. I guess this was ditched or has been ignored?
Until just Googling his name I hadn’t even heard of him. Having done so, I can find nothing - aside from the Communist Workers Union itself - to corroborate what you say about him being a “union buster”. That said, there can be no disputing that the union is indeed busted, having sold both existing and prospective (ie new-starts) members down the river.
It was Royal Mail who introduced inferior pay, terms and cons to new entrants last year. The CWU didn't agree with this as it crosses one of their 'red lines' towards a two tier workforce and was one of the reasons why I voted NO to the deal. But RM had the Union over a barrel. RM have said that they need to stay competitive and that new entrants wages are above the market rate suggests that it probably won't be likely that they will receive a permanent upgrade, but who knows?
Im glad you said it. I read their reply and just shook my head. Im positive what ever you say will be met with a negative contrary point. They are just trolling.
You are right. The union didn't write up and introduce new starters T&Cs. In fact they opposed it, We all did. Hence why we went out on strike and lost pay over it. I also find it odd that they seem so angry about it considering they supposedly took on the new contract after the agreement had been ratified and are more than happy with their current pay.
You wont find a single RM employee happy with that new agreement. You wont find many union officials either. Which is why I find their account strange. Im not sure who they are angry with. We were in dispute for a long time trying to oppose it. What we eventually ended up with was just a watered down version of what RM wanted with a shoddy pay rise but if that is the best we could have gotten then I accept that...for now until we go again!
You may notice as well, that for an account that was calling people out as misogynist with absolutely no grounds seems happy to call people "old timer" in a derogatory way when age is a protected characteristic in the work force itself.
The pay for new starters was pushed through by RM, they didn’t give a fook what the union thought about it and clearly there’s nothing that could be done to stop it. All the union are trying to do is reduce the length of time to when new starters reach parity, at the moment it’s five years from what I read during the dispute I think.Don’t forget we already had a two tier workforce as new starters had to wait a year for parity. Five years is appalling.
Let’s not split hairs and get bogged down with semantic points. The union waved it through, no doubt about it. If it was such a stumbling block, the BRTG agreement would never have been ratified and endorsed by the membership.
On the subject of semantics — I use the term “old-timer” not as a pejorative reference to someone’s age or their being older than me, but I use it instead of the term “senior”. A 66-year-old gent who is among our cohort of new starters is thus not an old-timer.
Let’s not split hairs and get bogged down with semantic points. The union waved it through, no doubt about it. If it was such a stumbling block, the BRTG agreement would never have been ratified and endorsed by the membership.
On the subject of semantics — I use the term “old-timer” not as a pejorative reference to someone’s age or their being older than me, but I use it instead of the term “senior”. A 66-year-old gent who is among our cohort of new starters is thus not an old-timer.
Changing the goalposts I see. Nothing semantic about it. Just facts. Move on.
Let’s not split hairs and get bogged down with semantic points. The union waved it through, no doubt about it. If it was such a stumbling block, the BRTG agreement would never have been ratified and endorsed by the membership.
On the subject of semantics — I use the term “old-timer” not as a pejorative reference to someone’s age or their being older than me, but I use it instead of the term “senior”. A 66-year-old gent who is among our cohort of new starters is thus not an old-timer.
Changing the goalposts I see. Nothing semantic about it. Just facts. Move on.
The hope and aim of RM is, i think, to ensure that people of your ilk do indeed move on, and pronto. Fingers crossed.
Let’s not split hairs and get bogged down with semantic points. The union waved it through, no doubt about it. If it was such a stumbling block, the BRTG agreement would never have been ratified and endorsed by the membership.
On the subject of semantics — I use the term “old-timer” not as a pejorative reference to someone’s age or their being older than me, but I use it instead of the term “senior”. A 66-year-old gent who is among our cohort of new starters is thus not an old-timer.
Changing the goalposts I see. Nothing semantic about it. Just facts. Move on.
The hope and aim of RM is, i think, to ensure that people of your ilk do indeed move on, and pronto. Fingers crossed.
That last comment was completely uncalled for.
’You can't just ask customers what they want and then try to give that to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something new.’
Let’s not split hairs and get bogged down with semantic points. The union waved it through, no doubt about it. If it was such a stumbling block, the BRTG agreement would never have been ratified and endorsed by the membership.
On the subject of semantics — I use the term “old-timer” not as a pejorative reference to someone’s age or their being older than me, but I use it instead of the term “senior”. A 66-year-old gent who is among our cohort of new starters is thus not an old-timer.
Changing the goalposts I see. Nothing semantic about it. Just facts. Move on.
The hope and aim of RM is, i think, to ensure that people of your ilk do indeed move on, and pronto. Fingers crossed.