ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

what a s**t show !

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: what a s**t show !

Post by SpacePhoenix »

It's online shopping that changed RM, with it came a massive, massive increase in the number of packets. Letter traffic had been declining slowly over the years, the current GDPR regs saw a massive drop in the number of letters when they came into force. The other big thing was the introduction of DSA which over time replaced Mailsort, especially MS3 which iirc deliveries had 5 working days in which to deliver and it could all be held on a Saturday.
mjd24
Posts: 1409
Joined: 11 May 2008, 18:48

Re: what a s**t show !

Post by mjd24 »

claretandblue wrote: ↑
17 Mar 2024, 10:36
I've got 27 years in, walks were easier when I started, 3 bags a day, no packets, but we did 41.5 hours, 6 days a week, for poor pay, swings and roundabouts.
But how did the pay compare to house prices and rents?
claretandblue
Posts: 914
Joined: 01 Aug 2007, 12:14

Re: what a s**t show !

Post by claretandblue »

mjd24 wrote: ↑
17 Mar 2024, 15:21
claretandblue wrote: ↑
17 Mar 2024, 10:36
I've got 27 years in, walks were easier when I started, 3 bags a day, no packets, but we did 41.5 hours, 6 days a week, for poor pay, swings and roundabouts.
But how did the pay compare to house prices and rents?
Not great, had to do loads of docket to get a decent wage.
mjd24
Posts: 1409
Joined: 11 May 2008, 18:48

Re: what a s**t show !

Post by mjd24 »

claretandblue wrote: ↑
17 Mar 2024, 15:22
mjd24 wrote: ↑
17 Mar 2024, 15:21
claretandblue wrote: ↑
17 Mar 2024, 10:36
I've got 27 years in, walks were easier when I started, 3 bags a day, no packets, but we did 41.5 hours, 6 days a week, for poor pay, swings and roundabouts.
But how did the pay compare to house prices and rents?
Not great, had to do loads of docket to get a decent wage.

But in 1997 for example, median house prices were 3 times the median wage compared to now when its about 8 times!
claretandblue
Posts: 914
Joined: 01 Aug 2007, 12:14

Re: what a s**t show !

Post by claretandblue »

I was 17 in 97, didn't buy my first house until 2004 when prices had rocketed. Also interest rates were 7.5 %
mjd24
Posts: 1409
Joined: 11 May 2008, 18:48

Re: what a s**t show !

Post by mjd24 »

claretandblue wrote: ↑
17 Mar 2024, 16:04
I was 17 in 97, didn't buy my first house until 2004 when prices had rocketed. Also interest rates were 7.5 %
Interest rates between 4 and 4.75% in 2004.

Average house price in UK about £150’000.
claretandblue
Posts: 914
Joined: 01 Aug 2007, 12:14

Re: what a s**t show !

Post by claretandblue »

mjd24 wrote: ↑
17 Mar 2024, 16:17
claretandblue wrote: ↑
17 Mar 2024, 16:04
I was 17 in 97, didn't buy my first house until 2004 when prices had rocketed. Also interest rates were 7.5 %
Interest rates between 4 and 4.75% in 2004.

Average house price in UK about £150’000.
I was talking about 97.
mjd24
Posts: 1409
Joined: 11 May 2008, 18:48

Re: what a s**t show !

Post by mjd24 »

claretandblue wrote: ↑
17 Mar 2024, 16:32
mjd24 wrote: ↑
17 Mar 2024, 16:17
claretandblue wrote: ↑
17 Mar 2024, 16:04
I was 17 in 97, didn't buy my first house until 2004 when prices had rocketed. Also interest rates were 7.5 %
Interest rates between 4 and 4.75% in 2004.

Average house price in UK about £150’000.
I was talking about 97.
Yep, when average house prices in the UK were about £70’000.

7.5% of £70’000 is £5250

Interest rates are currently 5.25% and averge house price £290’000

5.25% of £290’000 is £15’225
claretandblue
Posts: 914
Joined: 01 Aug 2007, 12:14

Re: what a s**t show !

Post by claretandblue »

mjd24 wrote: ↑
17 Mar 2024, 16:51
claretandblue wrote: ↑
17 Mar 2024, 16:32
mjd24 wrote: ↑
17 Mar 2024, 16:17
claretandblue wrote: ↑
17 Mar 2024, 16:04
I was 17 in 97, didn't buy my first house until 2004 when prices had rocketed. Also interest rates were 7.5 %
Interest rates between 4 and 4.75% in 2004.

Average house price in UK about £150’000.
I was talking about 97.
Yep, when average house prices in the UK were about £70’000.

7.5% of £70’000 is £5250

Interest rates are currently 5.25% and averge house price £290’000

5.25% of £290’000 is £15’225
Basic pay was 186 a week in 97
Wullie10
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 718
Joined: 30 Jul 2017, 12:07
Gender: Male
Location: Retired

Re: what a s**t show !

Post by Wullie10 »

I only got interested in this thread when the bloke mentioned young girls then it went off in to Multi universes and i haven't got a clue what it's about ? :crazy: old age is getting scary.