ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Upcoming pay increase....
-
Mcclinton
- Posts: 35
- Joined: 23 Aug 2012, 00:04
- Gender: Male
Re: Upcoming pay increase....
I worked at Sainsbury’s for years, trust me it was far worse than Royal Mail. Less pay, crap hours and they flog you to death.
-
heapsy
- Posts: 2972
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 23:40
- Gender: Male
- Location: Drinking with Gangsters
Re: Upcoming pay increase....
I think RM will play the long game. They'll give us below inflation rises and let the National Minimum Wage catch up. Then the government will set pay for them. RM aren't daft. They know many long service staff will leave at 60. Of those that don't, wont fancy starting afresh elsewhere. The CWU wont be arsed because it means it's one less thing they have to negotiate on, with RM.
-
LouBarlow
- Posts: 4709
- Joined: 15 Oct 2007, 18:56
Re: Upcoming pay increase....
I think it is anyone’s guess, but I think RM will be in for a shock, as the kind of workers they are attracting are simply not capable of doing the job. We have new starters in our office who I’m surprised manage to dress themselves in the morning, frankly. And I don’t blame them for being the only ones attracted to the job right now, but a good majority are hopeless and will not stay in the job. The occasional decent one, will leave when the realisation dawns on them that they are doing the same job as the postie next to the, for less pay a week and will have to disrupt their lives to work Sundays and will bugger off.heapsy wrote: ↑06 Mar 2024, 23:51I think RM will play the long game. They'll give us below inflation rises and let the National Minimum Wage catch up. Then the government will set pay for them. RM aren't daft. They know many long service staff will leave at 60. Of those that don't, wont fancy starting afresh elsewhere. The CWU wont be arsed because it means it's one less thing they have to negotiate on, with RM.
-
Nickvilla20
- Posts: 789
- Joined: 13 May 2013, 07:30
- Gender: Male
Re: Upcoming pay increase....
We had 8 new recruits start before Xmas only 4 are left. One of them they employed couldn’t actually walk properly so he was just left to do parcels then he left due to having no social life.LouBarlow wrote: ↑07 Mar 2024, 05:15I think it is anyone’s guess, but I think RM will be in for a shock, as the kind of workers they are attracting are simply not capable of doing the job. We have new starters in our office who I’m surprised manage to dress themselves in the morning, frankly. And I don’t blame them for being the only ones attracted to the job right now, but a good majority are hopeless and will not stay in the job. The occasional decent one, will leave when the realisation dawns on them that they are doing the same job as the postie next to the, for less pay a week and will have to disrupt their lives to work Sundays and will bugger off.heapsy wrote: ↑06 Mar 2024, 23:51I think RM will play the long game. They'll give us below inflation rises and let the National Minimum Wage catch up. Then the government will set pay for them. RM aren't daft. They know many long service staff will leave at 60. Of those that don't, wont fancy starting afresh elsewhere. The CWU wont be arsed because it means it's one less thing they have to negotiate on, with RM.
We’ve also had a few long term staff leave to and you can really tell we are at barebones now.
-
guardianangel
- Posts: 1846
- Joined: 21 Feb 2020, 19:40
- Gender: Male
Re: Upcoming pay increase....
Another 2 left our office this week,mothers day this weekend and this week they are struggling with the parcel duties,well done royal mail and cwu you truly have made a complete mess of things ,how the hell you keep your contracts ill never know.
-
LouBarlow
- Posts: 4709
- Joined: 15 Oct 2007, 18:56
Re: Upcoming pay increase....
I think my post was a bit harsh really but my point was more that RM are keeping folk on who are not capable of doing the job because they have no choice as veterans are retiring out. Not all new starters are incapable at all.
-
ted_e_bear
- Posts: 4112
- Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 19:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Upcoming pay increase....
You're right there Lou, I've said the same all along, they were convinced anyone could do the job but unfortunately they were wrong, we had one guy who didn't last long, he was very overweight, nice enough bloke but he was extremely unfit and totally unsuited to walking anywhere longer than about 30 minutes, having said that we've also got a couple of decent ones but one of them I suspect is "milking" the practically unlimited overtime that's currently available to do cut offs and parcels, good on him while it lasts.LouBarlow wrote: ↑07 Mar 2024, 05:15I think it is anyone’s guess, but I think RM will be in for a shock, as the kind of workers they are attracting are simply not capable of doing the job. We have new starters in our office who I’m surprised manage to dress themselves in the morning, frankly. And I don’t blame them for being the only ones attracted to the job right now, but a good majority are hopeless and will not stay in the job. The occasional decent one, will leave when the realisation dawns on them that they are doing the same job as the postie next to the, for less pay a week and will have to disrupt their lives to work Sundays and will bugger off.heapsy wrote: ↑06 Mar 2024, 23:51I think RM will play the long game. They'll give us below inflation rises and let the National Minimum Wage catch up. Then the government will set pay for them. RM aren't daft. They know many long service staff will leave at 60. Of those that don't, wont fancy starting afresh elsewhere. The CWU wont be arsed because it means it's one less thing they have to negotiate on, with RM.
-
PDAHappy
- Posts: 65
- Joined: 22 Jul 2022, 13:41
- Gender: Male
Re: Upcoming pay increase....
Sadly since the end of face to face interviews by the COM’s and HR doing a telephone interview the numbers of unfit and unsuitable recruits are only likely to increase.At least with the old system the COM could weed out the suitable pretty quickly.
-
hazzeem025
- Posts: 280
- Joined: 11 Oct 2009, 18:09
- Gender: Male
Re: Upcoming pay increase....
Telephone interview?!! Feck me, which fuckwit came up with that money saving brainwave
-
Barnacle
- Posts: 2949
- Joined: 13 Dec 2022, 16:58
- Gender: Female
- Location: Earth
Re: Upcoming pay increase....
When I applied it was a really long winded process, I had to jump through hoops, that were on fire, wearing a blindfold, but I think that was necessary because by the time they FINALLY gave me a start date, I knew I definitely wanted the job.hazzeem025 wrote: ↑11 Mar 2024, 19:13Telephone interview?!! Feck me, which fuckwit came up with that money saving brainwavemy God I didn't think R.M could get any worse but there we go. Unbelievable Jeff!!
By getting rid of that thorough process they are reaping their just rewards, which are staff that could not care less about the job or how to represent the company to the public, and don’t even get me started on how they have trashed the vans since they started the DPR routes
’You can't just ask customers what they want and then try to give that to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something new.’
-
fb1969
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1693
- Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: hiding on the backstreets
Re: Upcoming pay increase....
I applied for the job in the July and started in September.
This is a quote from RM job adverts now "We may contact you within 24hrs of your application, and if successful you will be required to provide your Right to Work documents immediately, please have these prepared." A lot has changed, and like everything else in RM very little is for the better.
This is a quote from RM job adverts now "We may contact you within 24hrs of your application, and if successful you will be required to provide your Right to Work documents immediately, please have these prepared." A lot has changed, and like everything else in RM very little is for the better.
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
-
norris9
- Posts: 2696
- Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
- Gender: Female
Re: Upcoming pay increase....
When I joined 5 years ago....
1. You had to do some stupid postcode test online - memorising postcodes.
2. The interview was far too long, being asked too many unnecessary questions. I was asked to give an example of where I had helped improve a service or process at a previous place of employment....
I have learnt that if you try to do that at Royal Mail you are ignored, so why even ask that question!!
You tell them rounds are imbalanced and how to even them out to make things run more efficiently.....nothing will happen.
If Royal Mail are now employing more inadequate staff, is it because of the interview process, or is it because less people want to do this job and it's harder to recruit, so they'll take on anybody.
1. You had to do some stupid postcode test online - memorising postcodes.
2. The interview was far too long, being asked too many unnecessary questions. I was asked to give an example of where I had helped improve a service or process at a previous place of employment....
I have learnt that if you try to do that at Royal Mail you are ignored, so why even ask that question!!
You tell them rounds are imbalanced and how to even them out to make things run more efficiently.....nothing will happen.
If Royal Mail are now employing more inadequate staff, is it because of the interview process, or is it because less people want to do this job and it's harder to recruit, so they'll take on anybody.
-
funkflex55
- Posts: 803
- Joined: 04 Sep 2022, 22:58
- Gender: Male
Re: Upcoming pay increase....
https://jobs.royalmailgroup.com/go/Post ... g/4480301/
You've only got to look at the above to see the ongoing recruitment problems. There's always hundreds of vacancies. RM are struggling to recruit then struggling to retain staff. 2 tier workforce? Great job CWU it's going fantastic.
You've only got to look at the above to see the ongoing recruitment problems. There's always hundreds of vacancies. RM are struggling to recruit then struggling to retain staff. 2 tier workforce? Great job CWU it's going fantastic.
-
Nickvilla20
- Posts: 789
- Joined: 13 May 2013, 07:30
- Gender: Male
Re: Upcoming pay increase....
The payrise is £10.40 a week gross. Not sure it will make much of a difference to any of us.
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4198
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
Re: Upcoming pay increase....
Considering the salary increase that was given for line managers becoming COMs, our pay rise is a bit pathetic in comparison. If I was running royal mail this is where I would look for future savings
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.