ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

I finally left royal mail

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
hawkeye622
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 122
Joined: 03 Jul 2019, 21:03
Gender: Male

Re: I finally left royal mail

Post by hawkeye622 »

Constance wrote: ↑
29 Mar 2023, 14:27
I think people maybe grinding on at RM, with no social life or family life, think that there's nothing else out there for them, just because they are never ever given any form of appraisal at work on a constructive level.

In other jobs or other companies they want you to learn allsorts and give really valuable feedback . At RM Frontline, you're not ever invested in or upskilled as a worker( I don't recognise WTL as giving any transferable skills btw! ).

What does a postie bring to the table? Resilience, toughness, flexibility, problem solving, work planning skills, trustworthiness, service skills and a damn hard work ethic too.

Next time you've got some time off. Really think about what you do every day. And you do it really well guys.

Lots of employers would give their right arm to have a workforce like RM posties. I know job adverts sound sometimes like they want a cross between nuclear scientist and Ghandi but just quote Catherine Tate as your inner voice " I can do that". I guarantee you'll be surprised.

The more jobs you apply for now, the better you'll get at applications and interviews. It's something everyone gets better at with practice (that's failures!). By the time your perfect job pops up. You'll be ready.
This is one of the best posts I have ever read on here!

:Applause
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Re: I finally left royal mail

Post by rambo1 »

SMS1969 wrote: ↑
28 Mar 2023, 16:21
Jahpostie wrote: ↑
26 Mar 2023, 13:29
Left over a year ago. Now 9-5 in an office doing admin. Pay a lot better. Conditions a lot better. Benefits a lot better. No lapsing, D2Ds, ridiculous workloads or absolute fatigue at the end of every day. Get out of there if you can, it's like a Victorian workhouse and getting worse. Run into the ground for profit by utter scumbags.
So are you saying that you get more than £13.37 an hour doing admin?
9-5 in an office doing admin sounds like hell on earth to me! Each to their own I guess.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Re: I finally left royal mail

Post by k979aaa »

hawkeye622 wrote: ↑
30 Mar 2023, 20:46
Constance wrote: ↑
29 Mar 2023, 14:27
I think people maybe grinding on at RM, with no social life or family life, think that there's nothing else out there for them, just because they are never ever given any form of appraisal at work on a constructive level.

In other jobs or other companies they want you to learn allsorts and give really valuable feedback . At RM Frontline, you're not ever invested in or upskilled as a worker( I don't recognise WTL as giving any transferable skills btw! ).

What does a postie bring to the table? Resilience, toughness, flexibility, problem solving, work planning skills, trustworthiness, service skills and a damn hard work ethic too.

Next time you've got some time off. Really think about what you do every day. And you do it really well guys.

Lots of employers would give their right arm to have a workforce like RM posties. I know job adverts sound sometimes like they want a cross between nuclear scientist and Ghandi but just quote Catherine Tate as your inner voice " I can do that". I guarantee you'll be surprised.

The more jobs you apply for now, the better you'll get at applications and interviews. It's something everyone gets better at with practice (that's failures!). By the time your perfect job pops up. You'll be ready.
This is one of the best posts I have ever read on here!

:Applause
It is but if Royal Mail neglects it's workforce they will leave and in time NO one will work for them ever and the word will spread on how it is now the modern day work house sweatshop and failed business run by fools!
hawkeye622
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 122
Joined: 03 Jul 2019, 21:03
Gender: Male

Re: I finally left royal mail

Post by hawkeye622 »

k979aaa wrote: ↑
30 Mar 2023, 20:59
hawkeye622 wrote: ↑
30 Mar 2023, 20:46
Constance wrote: ↑
29 Mar 2023, 14:27
I think people maybe grinding on at RM, with no social life or family life, think that there's nothing else out there for them, just because they are never ever given any form of appraisal at work on a constructive level.

In other jobs or other companies they want you to learn allsorts and give really valuable feedback . At RM Frontline, you're not ever invested in or upskilled as a worker( I don't recognise WTL as giving any transferable skills btw! ).

What does a postie bring to the table? Resilience, toughness, flexibility, problem solving, work planning skills, trustworthiness, service skills and a damn hard work ethic too.

Next time you've got some time off. Really think about what you do every day. And you do it really well guys.

Lots of employers would give their right arm to have a workforce like RM posties. I know job adverts sound sometimes like they want a cross between nuclear scientist and Ghandi but just quote Catherine Tate as your inner voice " I can do that". I guarantee you'll be surprised.

The more jobs you apply for now, the better you'll get at applications and interviews. It's something everyone gets better at with practice (that's failures!). By the time your perfect job pops up. You'll be ready.
This is one of the best posts I have ever read on here!

:Applause
It is but if Royal Mail neglects it's workforce they will leave and in time NO one will work for them ever and the word will spread on how it is now the modern day work house sweatshop and failed business run by fools!
100% agree. I've been with RM less than 5 years and hoping to be out in the next few months... our office has had lots of ppl leave in the last 6 months. Love to see it!
nuklearpuppy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 63
Joined: 05 Nov 2010, 23:52
Gender: Female

Re: I finally left royal mail

Post by nuklearpuppy »

themaze wrote: ↑
30 Mar 2023, 17:49
nuklearpuppy wrote: ↑
30 Mar 2023, 12:31
Left last August after over 20 years service. Bumped into lots of ex colleagues who say it’s the best thing I done. They all look so downtrodden. I keep trying to explain that there are better options. I’m on less pay but the workload is far easier. Never any pressure. Work perks are far far better too. RM is on the brink of collapse and it won’t ever get better unfortunately.
Feel for all the good guys in there and having to deal with clueless managers who quite frankly couldn’t run a bath.

Do you still identify more as a postman rather than your new job ?
Tour bus driver now. Much prefer it . I miss the banter in RM but not the culture . All the best to everyone hoping to move on. It was scary at first but now I never look back and wish I had done it a lot sooner.
Tman
Posts: 4146
Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57

Re: I finally left royal mail

Post by Tman »

That's a more attractive proposition than being a bin-man, shelf stacker or desk security guard anyway, but why do so few strive to get training for a better paid and more interesting job?
priority102
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 520
Joined: 04 Aug 2009, 18:57
Gender: Female

Re: I finally left royal mail

Post by priority102 »

Why do you all think so little of yourselves? It speaks volumes of how brain numbing this job has made you, and was for me as well until I got out and the RM institutional fog suddenly cleared after over 25 years. When looking for new employees, most employers want honest, reliable people who are happy to do their bit. Posties will always get looked on favourably as most are seen to be friendly and regular, reliable people on the doorstep - good job they can't see inside the DO's though lol.

The most sensible ones can see this company is going downhill fast, realising that what they are seeing now is the future, and getting out. Terms and conditions will be on par with similar courier companies in a year or so. As Thompson has made clear - and it is actually written in their job vacancy info now - RM is transforming FROM a letters TO a parcels business, and the union will still be bereft to do anything about it except hold never ending talks with an employer who is hell bent on just stringing them along but will continue to impose everything anyway through EA. In order to compete price wise for parcels business, RM will need to have a similar business management ethos to the other parcel companies, it's not rocket science.

Those hundreds of long serving, old school, reliable posties with 20/30/40+ years service leaving the job tells you a HUGE story - they are the ones to take note of.

Good luck to those who intend to stick with it - you will certainly need it!