Some inkjet printers have an ink subscription service where the manufacturer automatically sends out new ink cartridges in the post.
They do but why would they be printing if they are away?
Who said anything about them printing while they are away? Just like any subscription based service, the items get sent out automatically, regardless of whether the recipient is away on holiday...
or they printed stuff off for their holiday, triggering low ink levels, triggering the printer manufacturer to send new ink cartridges..... E.g. HP Instant Ink.
What happens if the customer is away for a few days. Does it get returned to sender? If so that’s ridiculous.
Why order something to be delivered to your home if you're going to be away for a few days?
That said, it seems that we are going to copy what other, low end, delivery companies are doing. I'm sure that some of our parcel customers specifically use RM because of our CSPs which mean that they don't get many parcels returned to them.
Some inkjet printers have an ink subscription service where the manufacturer automatically sends out new ink cartridges in the post.
Or contact lens subscriptions, gin club subscriptions, beauty box subscriptions and probably loads more.
Those type of companies will have to look at their subscription/delivery models and not just use RM to store customers orders if they are away?
If customers realise in future that their orders will be returned then they may actually decide to start selecting a safe place, as they rarely seem to do it at present, or better still actually make some effort to be in when we are due to deliver their orders.
I believe that 3 attempts then automatic return to sender is standard for most couriers
What happens if the customer is away for a few days. Does it get returned to sender? If so that’s ridiculous.
Why order something to be delivered to your home if you're going to be away for a few days?
That said, it seems that we are going to copy what other, low end, delivery companies are doing. I'm sure that some of our parcel customers specifically use RM because of our CSPs which mean that they don't get many parcels returned to them.
Some inkjet printers have an ink subscription service where the manufacturer automatically sends out new ink cartridges in the post.
Or contact lens subscriptions, gin club subscriptions, beauty box subscriptions and probably loads more.
Those type of companies will have to look at their subscription/delivery models and not just use RM to store customers orders if they are away?
If customers realise in future that their orders will be returned then they may actually decide to start selecting a safe place, as they rarely seem to do it at present, or better still actually make some effort to be in when we are due to deliver their orders.
I believe that 3 attempts then automatic return to sender is standard for most couriers
Also standard for other couriers is front step rear step any bin,bathroom window the roof under car.or maybe next doors step rear step bin bathroom or roof or under Kevin's transit van 3 doors down.
What happens if the customer is away for a few days. Does it get returned to sender? If so that’s ridiculous.
Why order something to be delivered to your home if you're going to be away for a few days?
That said, it seems that we are going to copy what other, low end, delivery companies are doing. I'm sure that some of our parcel customers specifically use RM because of our CSPs which mean that they don't get many parcels returned to them.
I believe that 3 attempts then automatic return to sender is standard for most couriers
I've never heard of that happening, though. It's always just left at your doorstep or somewhere else on your property. Because when you bear the operating costs as an owner-driver every additional attempt bleeds money. You can see exactly where this is headed.
If customers realise in future that their orders will be returned then they may actually decide to start selecting a safe place, as they rarely seem to do it at present, or better still actually make some effort to be in when we are due to deliver their orders.
Safe Place - Not always possible. If someone lives in a terraced house with no front garden or accessible back garden then how are they going to have a safe place? Same with flats or other multi occupancy buildings.
Make some effort to be in - That might be possible if customers had any idea what time we are going to arrive. Is the parcel on a walk or a DPR? What day is the parcel going to arrive? Is there actually going to be any attempt to deliver the parcel roughly around the estimated time of arrival?
You can't really expect people to put their lives on hold on the off-chance a parcel arrives at some point during a vague unspecified window from a now very unreliable and irregular delivery service.
I may be wrong, but one of the reasons behind the closures could be that the profit in a parcel is picking it up and taking it to the delivery point....once.
If the customer is in or it goes to neighbour, job done.
I was once told by a "workplace coach" that he in turn had been told by management that for every time a parcel is handled in the system, the less profitable it is. Perhaps this is why the barons at the top are closing CSP's down. When it was a service then everyone turned a blind eye but now it is privatised every drop has to be squeezed for greedy shareholders....?
You can't really expect people to put their lives on hold on the off-chance a parcel arrives at some point during a vague unspecified window from a now very unreliable and irregular delivery service.
Quite a few will have the option to get it delivered to their place of work. Another option would be to get it delivered to a relative you know will be in all day
I was once told by a "workplace coach" that he in turn had been told by management that for every time a parcel is handled in the system, the less profitable it is.
Stands to reason. However, one delivery attempt followed by being booked into the locker for the customer to collect at their convenience seems less unprofitable than three unwanted redeliveries before conveying it all the way back to the sender. Of course, delivery personnel will be nudged into doorstepping before long.
I may be wrong, but one of the reasons behind the closures could be that the profit in a parcel is picking it up and taking it to the delivery point....once.
If the customer is in or it goes to neighbour, job done.
I was once told by a "workplace coach" that he in turn had been told by management that for every time a parcel is handled in the system, the less profitable it is. Perhaps this is why the barons at the top are closing CSP's down. When it was a service then everyone turned a blind eye but now it is privatised every drop has to be squeezed for greedy shareholders....?
I guess you can do a simple calculation, if the average for a postie is delivering parcels 100 per day and a postie costs RM, say, £100 per day, with wages, sickness, pension etc than that's £1 per parcel, plus transport costs,deliver it twice and that's most of the profits gone.
I can never understand why we don't encourage customers to nominate safe places or neighbours to accept the parcel, I rarely get those on all the parcels I deliver on a daily basis.
I may be wrong, but one of the reasons behind the closures could be that the profit in a parcel is picking it up and taking it to the delivery point....once.
If the customer is in or it goes to neighbour, job done.
I was once told by a "workplace coach" that he in turn had been told by management that for every time a parcel is handled in the system, the less profitable it is. Perhaps this is why the barons at the top are closing CSP's down. When it was a service then everyone turned a blind eye but now it is privatised every drop has to be squeezed for greedy shareholders....?
I guess you can do a simple calculation, if the average for a postie is delivering parcels 100 per day and a postie costs RM, say, £100 per day, with wages, sickness, pension etc than that's £1 per parcel, plus transport costs,deliver it twice and that's most of the profits gone.
I can never understand why we don't encourage customers to nominate safe places or neighbours to accept the parcel, I rarely get those on all the parcels I deliver on a daily basis.
There is no real safe place….if you can access it so can others then the recipient takes the responsibility if it goes walkabout. Lockers are a solution but outlay for a network of these is prohibitive
I may be wrong, but one of the reasons behind the closures could be that the profit in a parcel is picking it up and taking it to the delivery point....once.
If the customer is in or it goes to neighbour, job done.
I was once told by a "workplace coach" that he in turn had been told by management that for every time a parcel is handled in the system, the less profitable it is. Perhaps this is why the barons at the top are closing CSP's down. When it was a service then everyone turned a blind eye but now it is privatised every drop has to be squeezed for greedy shareholders....?
I guess you can do a simple calculation, if the average for a postie is delivering parcels 100 per day and a postie costs RM, say, £100 per day, with wages, sickness, pension etc than that's £1 per parcel, plus transport costs,deliver it twice and that's most of the profits gone.
I can never understand why we don't encourage customers to nominate safe places or neighbours to accept the parcel, I rarely get those on all the parcels I deliver on a daily basis.
There is no real safe place….if you can access it so can others then the recipient takes the responsibility if it goes walkabout. Lockers are a solution but outlay for a network of these is prohibitive
Imagine this , a network of Callers / Enquiry offices attached to Delivery Offices, where P739 items can be safely stored, until the customer either collects it, or arranges a redelivery...
I may be wrong, but one of the reasons behind the closures could be that the profit in a parcel is picking it up and taking it to the delivery point....once.
If the customer is in or it goes to neighbour, job done.
I was once told by a "workplace coach" that he in turn had been told by management that for every time a parcel is handled in the system, the less profitable it is. Perhaps this is why the barons at the top are closing CSP's down. When it was a service then everyone turned a blind eye but now it is privatised every drop has to be squeezed for greedy shareholders....?
I guess you can do a simple calculation, if the average for a postie is delivering parcels 100 per day and a postie costs RM, say, £100 per day, with wages, sickness, pension etc than that's £1 per parcel, plus transport costs,deliver it twice and that's most of the profits gone.
I can never understand why we don't encourage customers to nominate safe places or neighbours to accept the parcel, I rarely get those on all the parcels I deliver on a daily basis.
There is no real safe place….if you can access it so can others then the recipient takes the responsibility if it goes walkabout. Lockers are a solution but outlay for a network of these is prohibitive
Imagine this , a network of Callers / Enquiry offices attached to Delivery Offices, where P739 items can be safely stored, until the customer either collects it, or arranges a redelivery...
Unfortunately that's been tried for decades and clearly works a treat just it costs one person's wage a week which is unacceptable in Stalin's royal mail...
With Callers offices closed those without credit or debit cards will surely have great difficulty paying for Surcharged items, especially as most Post Offices don't now sell the 'make up' values of stamps needed for the £1.50, £2.50 or £3.50(parcels) fees.