ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Pension

Got a question for a CWU Rep? And all CWU related matters.
97gaz
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1023
Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
Gender: Male

Re: Pension

Post by 97gaz »

I think it's a bit moot point anyway. To be able to do anything with a pension worth more than £30k you must take financial advice by a registered financial advisor. I don't think they'll take the word of Bob on the postie forum.
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Re: Pension

Post by aiden01 »

97gaz wrote: ↑
26 Nov 2022, 22:15
I think it's a bit moot point anyway. To be able to do anything with a pension worth more than £30k you must take financial advice by a registered financial advisor. I don't think they'll take the word of Bob on the postie forum.
Who says you must take advice from a registerd financial advisor. lots of people ask for advice on here nobody has to take it as after all its only advice.
97gaz
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1023
Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
Gender: Male

Re: Pension

Post by 97gaz »

aiden01 wrote: ↑
26 Nov 2022, 22:43


Who says you must take advice from a registerd financial advisor. lots of people ask for advice on here nobody has to take it as after all its only advice.
I cashed in two old pensions recently. I was only able to do that because they were each worth less than £30k. Had either been over £30k then there was no chance I could have cashed them in because no financial advisor would advise that I should. There is a legal requirement to take financial advice to cash in certain DB schemes over £30k.
RobertT
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 6694
Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 14:26
Gender: Male

Re: Pension

Post by RobertT »

97gaz wrote: ↑
26 Nov 2022, 23:19
I cashed in two old pensions recently. I was only able to do that because they were each worth less than £30k. Had either been over £30k then there was no chance I could have cashed them in because no financial advisor would advise that I should. There is a legal requirement to take financial advice to cash in certain DB schemes over £30k.
You need a financial advisor to sign off a DB pension transfer worth more than £30k.
As you rightly say, many IFA's won't do it because it's not usually in your best interests. Plus you have to pay quite high charges.
But just because it's value might be less than £30k, doesn't mean transferring out is in your best interests!

There are other instances where financial advice might be worth taking, but isn't required. Such as taking your pension before NRA or investment choices with AVC's or the RMDCP.
The value of those can run into the hundreds of thousands and doing the wrong thing can cost a lot of money!
Links to all RM pension related websites are here
97gaz
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1023
Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
Gender: Male

Re: Pension

Post by 97gaz »

RobertT wrote: ↑
27 Nov 2022, 06:28

But just because it's value might be less than £30k, doesn't mean transferring out is in your best interests!

Absolutely. In my case I felt it was a no brainer. Not in fabulous health (though don't intend croaking anytime soon) and both pensions together paid out £600 pa and the transfer value was 85X!