not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

How do tracked packages get lost?

17 Oct 2019, 20:26

I had a package go missing some months ago, as in *poof*, just vanished from the system, and tracking just stopped. Now I was wondering, how does this actually happen?

It was medium/large-sized package, clear printed label and had detailed tracking. I can see exactly where it's been and when at every stage of its journey. It entered the UK via heathrow, passed customs, was loaded into a van for dispatch and then.... nothing. It just disappeared.

If it was returned to sender the tracking would say so. If it was misdelivered there would still be a signature. If it was held in customs or for any other reason I would have been contacted. But like I said, *poof!* it's just gone.

So how does a package like this actually get "lost"? I'm not looking for help about what to do, I've already had my money back. I'm just interested in how this can actually happen.

18 Oct 2019, 06:29

The address label can become damaged or illegible, or if not secured properly they can just fall off.

18 Oct 2019, 11:43

How would tracking prevent an item getting lost? Tracking is a powerful disincentive to steal, and if an item is lost it could potentially help in finding it again, but it has absolutely no impact on whether a loss happens in the first place.

Tracking points are occasionally missed. If the last one is missed then you won’t be able to see what happened. Which would explain your story above.

18 Oct 2019, 19:11

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:The address label can become damaged or illegible, or if not secured properly they can just fall off.

Exactly this, I`ve seen hundreds of parcels with poorly applied labels, contents falling off because of being poorly wrapped or wrapped with paper who can get soaked and the label unreadable, this is valid for small parcels and letters to...

And if it`s no return address on the parcel, it will be send to Belfast, opened to find out who send it, if it`s possible, if not, remains in Rm`s custody, I don`t know what happens after that.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1