not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

Help! Sticky situation with lost package marked delivered (Royal Mail + GLS)

16 Oct 2019, 15:32

Hello everyone!

I found this site via some online searching to find a solution to a sticky situation I'm in, and since I don't live in the UK, maybe someone here would have some intel about what could be going on.

I live in Poland, and I order quite a lot of stuff from all over the planet, as I collect records (vinyl) and generally don't have problems. Whenever I order anything tracked from the UK, it's sent here by GLS. I bought a rare record from a seller in London and asked him to send the record to my office, since I'm never at home for the courier. He sent it to my house by mistake. By the time I asked him for the tracking number and checked, the package was on its way back. No problem, I thought, he will receive it and worst case, I'll just pay shipping again.

The package was sent on Sept 9th from Bethnal Green, marked "return to sender" on the 16th.

According to Royal Mail's tracking, the last entry is the package's arrival in Germany (at a GLS depot, I believe) and it is still "in transit" on September 30th.

According to GLS's tracking, the package was marked as "delivered" in London the next day, Oct 1st.

When I contacted GLS here in Poland they (rather rudely) told me they can't do anything, since their system says that it was delivered, plus it's in the UK, so I should call the UK number. She gives me a number for Parcelforce, who don't have it in their system and since it's a Royal Mail tracking number, they refer me to Royal Mail.

The seller, of course, has seen hide nor hair of the parcel and I'm waiting to hear back from him if he was able to find anything out at the post office.

So I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar situation before? If GLS takes over delivery from Royal Mail do they return the package to sender, or do they return it to Royal Mail to do so? If I paid for tracking and a signature, is there a way to demand the signature to prove it was delivered as they claim it was? If GLS Poland won't give me the time of day, and the UK number is Parcelforce, is the burden on Royal Mail to provide this information? Is it possible that the courier just dropped it off with a neighbour or a nearby shop without notifying the sender? In short, is there anything I can do, or does anyone have any idea what could have happened?

Grateful for any information! Thanks in advance!

-p

16 Oct 2019, 16:31

You need to make a claim from the seller. Under UK consumer law, it is up to them to deliver it as contracted, failure of their sub-contractor is their problem not yours. I think this probably applies to you as a resident of another EU nation, at least until Brexit happens (so get in quick...).

16 Oct 2019, 16:43

Snaggletooth wrote:You need to make a claim from the seller. Under UK consumer law, it is up to them to deliver it as contracted, failure of their sub-contractor is their problem not yours. I think this probably applies to you as a resident of another EU nation, at least until Brexit happens (so get in quick...).

So do I ask the seller to make the claim at the post office, or did you mean to make a claim against the seller directly? I'd much rather find the package than get my money back, but if the former isn't possible, the latter would be nice. :)

16 Oct 2019, 16:50

einzelgänger wrote:
Snaggletooth wrote:You need to make a claim from the seller. Under UK consumer law, it is up to them to deliver it as contracted, failure of their sub-contractor is their problem not yours. I think this probably applies to you as a resident of another EU nation, at least until Brexit happens (so get in quick...).

So do I ask the seller to make the claim at the post office, or did you mean to make a claim against the seller directly? I'd much rather find the package than get my money back, but if the former isn't possible, the latter would be nice. :)

I'm just baffled by the whole thing, really.

17 Oct 2019, 05:28

You make a claim against the seller.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1