ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Codes and numbers on stamp

For help with tracking please see...HERE
For information about your item being in HWDC Langley please see...HERE
For information about any other mail or if you have a complaint or general query, we first suggest you contact Royal Mail, see the link HERE.

This is an open forum.

Forum rules
For help with tracking please see...HERE
For information about your item being in HWDC Langley please see...HERE
For information about any other mail or if you have a complaint or general query, we first suggest you contact Royal Mail, see the link HERE.
Implications on mail after the UK's exit from the EU
From 1st January the rules for sending and receiving items to and from the EU will change.For more details please see... HERE
Timmyboy76

Post by Timmyboy76 »

Hello All,
I have a bit of a problem. About a month ago, my entire digital photo collection which is on two hard drives were removed/taken from my house. I have my suspicions who took them, however they have been posted back to and I received them yesterday. No explanation or anything and I am desperate to find out who took them. The parcel was untracked however there is a gold square sticker type stamp on it with a QR code and as well as my postcode and address, cost and postage etc there are a number of codes one is a BR code and another is PRN and another which is just a numerical code. If I know which which post office or atleast just a postal town, I will have a really good idea who took the hard drives in the first place. I phoned Royal Mail customer services and also the fraud department several times and nobody can tell me where it was posted from and neither can anybody tell me what the codes mean. Surely somebody knows? They can just be printed on the stamp for fun. They must mean something. All
I want to Know is a town, that is all. Royal Mail tell
Me go to the police but I don't want to do that because the two people I suspect are in my family. Help
Please, atleast to
Just put my mind at rest. Thank you
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Spedley

Re: Codes and numbers on stamp

Post by Spedley »

try a website like this http://online-barcode-reader.inliteresearch.com but you'd need a clearer picture.
Snaggletooth
EX POST OFFICE

Post by Snaggletooth »

The blank on which the label is printed is a type issued to Post Office branches and used for at least 5 years. When I sent some eBay items at my local PO a few weeks ago they were using a new design of blank, however last time this was changed there was a changeover period which lasted for months. The blanks are supposed to be "value stock", i.e. not to be given to customers, though this is widely flouted. The design printed on the label is not familiar to me, but I am now slightly out of touch with new developments in the Post Office. PO printed labels always used to carry the postcode of the issuing office minus the last three characters: the one in your picture has a full postcode relating to a suburban-looking cul-de-sac in Prestatyn.

My best guess: somebody has used the Royal Mail's Online Postage print-at-home service but printed the label on to an official Post Office blank which they have somehow "acquired", and the Prestatyn address is the registered address of the senders credit/debit card or Pay Pal account.
Timmyboy76

Post by Timmyboy76 »

Thanks for your help, but The postcode printed on the blank is my postcode and house number! The BR number, could that be branch number? I be done some research and branches has a six digit number which fits? Just need to know which branch is 332604!
eric the viking
PARCELFORCE

Post by eric the viking »

I think you'll find it's this one......264 High St, Bangor LL57 1PB
Snaggletooth
EX POST OFFICE

Post by Snaggletooth »

Wow, I was way off there.
Timmyboy76

Post by Timmyboy76 »

Many thanks Eric the Viking, that is a huge help!! I knew those codes on the blank meant something.
curlyclairey

Post by curlyclairey »

Hi there

This post is very useful. Please could someone tell me what Branch has the code 112935? I know it is in the Isle of Wight, but I'm not sure where. I've been posted something from Ebay and the package is damaged. The seller isn't replying to my messages so I can't find out where she posted my parcel to proceed with the claim.

Thank you in advance :)
Snaggletooth
EX POST OFFICE

Post by Snaggletooth »

You need to claim via eBay, not Royal Mail. Two reasons for this:

1. In general, Royal Mail want the sender to put in a claim, because they hold important items such as proof of posting;
2. Putting the claim in via eBay will help to flag dodgy sellers (e.g. sending broken items and claiming that it was RM's fault, this has happened), this helps protect future customers.

The seller sounds dodgy because they are not returning your emails. TBH I think you will find the eBay refund process easier than the RM one, particularly as you would be claiming from RM as a recipient.
curlyclairey

Post by curlyclairey »

Thank you for the advice, I shall do this. Thank you for your prompt reply :)
curlyclairey

Post by curlyclairey »

The seller has now replied, problems with email, so hopefully will get this sorted soon. Thanks again :)
Nik221293

Post by Nik221293 »

Hi don't know if anyone on here may be able to help me but I've had a strange parcel and I'm trying to work out the branch, does anyone know which branch is BR: 119001

I'd be so greatful! :)
Snaggletooth
EX POST OFFICE

Post by Snaggletooth »

Nik221293 wrote:Hi don't know if anyone on here may be able to help me but I've had a strange parcel and I'm trying to work out the branch, does anyone know which branch is BR: 119001

It's probably in the London area.

These codes are supposed to be secret. However, we have advised people in the past to call Post Office customer services on 03457 22 33 44 and ask very nicely, this does seem to work.
PickleB

Post by PickleB »

Nik221293 wrote:Hi don't know if anyone on here may be able to help me but I've had a strange parcel and I'm trying to work out the branch, does anyone know which branch is BR: 119001

Unless there's someone very helpful on the forum with access to the information, I'm afraid you're unlikely to find out. A FOIA request to ""Please provide a list of the Branch Codes (that are now shown on the new Horizon labels) along with the branch names and addresses. Alternatively provide a facility to query a Branch Code and get the branch name and address....got the following reply:

"It may be helpful to explain that the Royal Mail Postage Labels have been put in place to improve operation delivery and efficiency by Royal Mail Group. The provision of the branch code on the label is not provided to assist identification of the posting branch by customers but for internal use between Royal Mail Group and Post Office Limited.

"We confirm that we do hold such information. However we consider that we are not obliged to disclose it as, pursuant to Section 32(1)(a) of FOIA, disclosure of such information would be likely to prejudice the prevention of crime."

Request refused...!

See:
Snaggletooth
EX POST OFFICE

Post by Snaggletooth »

What you have come up against there is the slightly odd situation of the FAD codes being considered secret in aggregate but not individually. I have just picked up a receipt from my last visit to a PO and the FAD is clearly printed on it, and labelled as such! Note that this is true of till receipts but not of certificates of posting.

However, it has always been the case that any kind of list of FAD codes has been considered secret, which is why I recommended calling PO customer services to decode an individual FAD.