ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Royal surcharge. who makes decision and how? *embarrassing*

For help with tracking please see...HERE
For information about your item being in HWDC Langley please see...HERE
For information about any other mail or if you have a complaint or general query, we first suggest you contact Royal Mail, see the link HERE.

This is an open forum.

Forum rules
For help with tracking please see...HERE
For information about your item being in HWDC Langley please see...HERE
For information about any other mail or if you have a complaint or general query, we first suggest you contact Royal Mail, see the link HERE.
Implications on mail after the UK's exit from the EU
From 1st January the rules for sending and receiving items to and from the EU will change.For more details please see... HERE
cloud360

Royal surcharge. who makes decision and how? *embarrassing*

Post by cloud360 »

I sent a "large letter" stamped item and I am 100% sure the dimensions were fine because at the post office they checked it and it fit through the thing they use to tell if dimensions are correct.

However the person on other side who received it had to pay a surcharge for insufficient postage, their was a yellow revenue protection sticker on the mail. I think this was because the weight was above 100g or they just made a mistake, whatever the case I dont agree with it as I think the onus should be on post office to prevent any surcharge or insufficient postage. The post office representative never checked the weight on that occasion and he probably assumed its less than 100g.

However, I have sent many of the same items like this before all correct dimensions and weight, and never had issue till now so I think this was a mistake. I want to know:

1) who decides to put a surcharge. is it the people who sort the items, or a machine?

3) if it is a human, how do they decide if their is a surcharge. do they just randomly check a few items and do they accurately check the weight or dimensions? or they they just assume "this feels like its is above 100g, SURCHARGE " or "this looks like its outside dimensions, SURCHARGE !"

3) where do they decide to add surcharge and separate it from normal mail? is it at sorting office?

Because i totally disagree with this and feel embarrassed and wish to complain directly to person responsible, the people who received the item probably think i just stuck some stamps on without caring or that i planned on making them pay for postage :(

cazspence

Re: Royal surcharge. who makes decision and how? *embarrassi

Post by cazspence »

Everything that is manually sorted and is suspected to be a surcharge is removed and given to revenue protection. There it is checked in size and weight to determine if it is a surcharge or not. If it is then it is stickers with the correct amount and forwarded back into the system. Your item was obviously over weight.
cloud360

Post by cloud360 »

cazspence wrote:Everything that is manually sorted and is suspected to be a surcharge is removed and given to revenue protection. There it is checked in size and weight to determine if it is a surcharge or not. If it is then it is stickers with the correct amount and forwarded back into the system. Your item was obviously over weight.
"Everything that is manually sorted" what is manually sorted. Are large letter items manually sorted?
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Post by SpacePhoenix »

If it was sorted by a machine then the machine might have flagged it up. Anyone know if the TOPS2000 either measures and/or weighs every item that it sorts?
cloud360

Post by cloud360 »

SpacePhoenix wrote:If it was sorted by a machine then the machine might have flagged it up. Anyone know if the TOPS2000 either measures and/or weighs every item that it sorts?
so at which sorting office do you think they decided to surcharge. my sorting office or receivers?

p.s my item was put into one of those royal mail bags/yorks (i think they call it) with parcels and other items.

does post office have separate bag for small letters and separate ones for packets, large letter stamped items & parcels? as am thinking this could of happened because post office representative put it into wrong bag?
IcanthelpthewayIam

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

Surcharges are applied at the mail centre not the local sorting offices, the items are individually assessed by revenue protection, so even if it was placed in wrong bag that won't affect whether surcharge applied or not, to complain you need to contact customer services on 08457 740740 you can't contact revenue protection direct, items are checked both by hand and by machine, and then passed to revenue protection which then weigh and measure them accurately so if a charge has been applied in 99.999% cases is correct
cloud360

Post by cloud360 »

zx135 wrote:Surcharges are applied at the mail centre not the local sorting offices, the items are individually assessed by revenue protection, so even if it was placed in wrong bag that won't affect whether surcharge applied or not, to complain you need to contact customer services on 08457 740740 you can't contact revenue protection direct, items are checked both by hand and by machine, and then passed to revenue protection which then weigh and measure them accurately so if a charge has been applied in 99.999% cases is correct
thanks for response
q1) ok, but then i dont think its fair i should pay surcharge when the post office representative put wrong stamp or charge on it. dont royal mail have policy for situations like that?

q2) i am still confused about where surcharges are applied. are they applied at my mail centre or recievers mail centre?
IcanthelpthewayIam

cloud360 wrote:
zx135 wrote:Surcharges are applied at the mail centre not the local sorting offices, the items are individually assessed by revenue protection, so even if it was placed in wrong bag that won't affect whether surcharge applied or not, to complain you need to contact customer services on 08457 740740 you can't contact revenue protection direct, items are checked both by hand and by machine, and then passed to revenue protection which then weigh and measure them accurately so if a charge has been applied in 99.999% cases is correct
ok, but then i dont think its fair i should pay surcharge when the post office representative put wrong stamp or charge on it. dont royal mail have policy for situations like that?
If it's a stamp on the item there is no way to tell whether it was you or a post office who affixed the postage, hence it gets charged, if post office had put the big gold horizon label on it then it wouldn't have been charged, you will need to take up any complaint with the post office that affixed the postage as they are the ones who made mistake, they are supposed to weigh every item
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by Lounge Lizard »

"If it's a stamp on the item there is no way to tell whether it was you or a post office who affixed the postage" isn't entirely accurate as if Post Office staff check it then this can be confirmed by them date-stamping the stamp(s) and it will then NOT be checked for possible surcharging, just as items with the gold Horizon labels will be most unlikely to be checked for possible surcharging.
Writing "Checked at Post office" on an envelope proves nothing as any sender can write that on before dropping it, over-weight/size or not, into any post box.
IcanthelpthewayIam

Lounge Lizard wrote:"If it's a stamp on the item there is no way to tell whether it was you or a post office who affixed the postage" isn't entirely accurate as if Post Office staff check it then this can be confirmed by them date-stamping the stamp(s) and it will then NOT be checked for possible surcharging, just as items with the gold Horizon labels will be most unlikely to be checked for possible surcharging.
Writing "Checked at Post office" on an envelope proves nothing as any sender can write that on before dropping it, over-weight/size or not, into any post box.
The post office staff didn't check the item correctly in the post office so the chances of the cancelling the stamps is pretty low, and a lot of post offices don't cancel stamps now anyway, also when they do it can still end up getting surcharged anyway
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by Lounge Lizard »

zx135 wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote:"If it's a stamp on the item there is no way to tell whether it was you or a post office who affixed the postage" isn't entirely accurate as if Post Office staff check it then this can be confirmed by them date-stamping the stamp(s) and it will then NOT be checked for possible surcharging, just as items with the gold Horizon labels will be most unlikely to be checked for possible surcharging.
The post office staff didn't check the item correctly in the post office so the chances of the cancelling the stamps is pretty low, and a lot of post offices don't cancel stamps now anyway, also when they do it can still end up getting surcharged anyway
Yes, I'm well aware that routinely "a lot of post offices don't cancel stamps now anyway" but if they do it's extremely unlikely that "it can still end up getting surcharged anyway".
In future if you ask them to check the item also ask them to date-stamp the stamp(s) which will ensure, firstly, that they check it properly ( even if that means you pay the higher postage ) and, secondly, that Revenue Protection won't be interested in it. :Very Happy
Snaggletooth
EX POST OFFICE

Post by Snaggletooth »

I believe it varies depending on the type of branch, but in the Crowns we are not allowed to cancel the stamps on Letter or Large Letter sized items.

This matter should be taken up with Post Office customer care on 08457 22 33 44.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by Lounge Lizard »

Snaggletooth wrote:I believe it varies depending on the type of branch, but in the Crowns we are not allowed to cancel the stamps on Letter or Large Letter sized items.

This matter should be taken up with Post Office customer care on 08457 22 33 44.
"not allowed" - but is that instruction from management or guidance from the union ?
hungryboy22

Re: Royal surcharge. who makes decision and how? *embarrassing*

Post by hungryboy22 »

We send a lot of parcels through Royal Mail. Their machines now automatically make surcharges if the parcel is heavier or bigger than the maximums of the category that has been paid for. This can mean sometimes that the average for a batch goes over a limit and so there can be a high surcharge for the whole lot. Be aware that their machines make mistakes - so be sure to check these and follow them up with Royal Mail (whose initial response is of course to say it's our mistake).
yellowbelly

Re: Royal surcharge. who makes decision and how? *embarrassing*

Post by yellowbelly »

hungryboy22 wrote:
11 Apr 2024, 16:38
We send a lot of parcels through Royal Mail. Their machines now automatically make surcharges if the parcel is heavier or bigger than the maximums of the category that has been paid for. This can mean sometimes that the average for a batch goes over a limit and so there can be a high surcharge for the whole lot. Be aware that their machines make mistakes - so be sure to check these and follow them up with Royal Mail (whose initial response is of course to say it's our mistake).
But if a parcel or parcels are overweight for the maximum paid for whose mistake is it?

If RM receive a lot of parcels (don't know how many or how you pass them over) from you and a batch is 'overweight', how do RM know whether one
parcel is 200g overweight or ten parcels are 20g overweight? It's up to any sending customer to ensure what they're sending is accurately weighed/measured and paid for.